Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Who like me HATES auto checkouts in Supermarkets

  1. #31


    Posts : 1,339
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 bit


    Getting back to original topic of this thread, I actually do like auto check outs precisely because most other people don't and there is almost always one available when I want to check out. I don't buy items, like alcohol that require age verification so I never have any problems, except for when the card reader won't accept my credit card for some reason. But places like Wal-Mart usually have somebody on duty all the time to take care of those kinds of problems.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    @Jimbo

    Yes we are ok now with the environmental suff. That was just to explain what is meant by externalising costs.

    Companies are now doing it by exploiting the workforce and the long suffering taxpayer. That is why the gap between the rich and poor is much greater that it was say 20 yrs ago.

    @ Strollin.

    Price is a marketing tool. You charge what the customers are prepared to pay.

    If you can reduce your costs, you still charge what the customers are prepared to pay. You make more profit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    sometimes customers HAVE to pay what they get charged -- if you have to eat then you only have three choices - revert to hunting (i.e kill what you eat) , grow your own (not a realistic option for a lot of inner city dwellers in tiny "rabbit sized" apartment blocks) or pay for it an a store / market - and if you don't have enough money you get it from somewhere - usually by some sort of criminal activity.

    Companies need also to invest BACK INTO THE COMMUNITY and they can still make a decent profit too. At my local supermarket we have a couple of disabled kids who work in the car park - picking up rubbish and cleaning car windows etc -- good natured kids who are only to happy to be doing this type of stuff -- good the Supermarket keeps them on - and people like them too -- win win situation.

    We don't need to maximize every last tiny cent -- a DECENT profit is fine.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,595
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Price is a marketing tool. You charge what the customers are prepared to pay.

    If you can reduce your costs, you still charge what the customers are prepared to pay. You make more profit.
    Yes but you are assuming that the price consumers are willing to pay covers all costs. What if having a full staff leaves you in a position where the price you need to charge in order to make a profit is more than the consumer is willing to pay?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,595
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    ...
    Hi there
    If only it were true.

    When was the last time you saw a full attended "Petrol" / Gas station. When self service first started you got a small discount per litre / gallon or whatever the current measurement system is where you are -- now no more - so shedding labour does NOT always mean cheaper prices for the consumer. ...
    Cheers
    jimbo
    In the state of Oregon, self-service gas stations are banned.

    As far as your argument that shedding labor doesn't always mean lower prices to the consumer, that's true, which is why I used the term, hopefully. However, lower prices doesn't necessarily mean that you see the price actually go down, it can also mean they don't need to raise the price even though other costs have risen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    ...
    Hi there
    If only it were true.

    When was the last time you saw a full attended "Petrol" / Gas station. When self service first started you got a small discount per litre / gallon or whatever the current measurement system is where you are -- now no more - so shedding labour does NOT always mean cheaper prices for the consumer. ...
    Cheers
    jimbo
    In the state of Oregon, self-service gas stations are banned.

    As far as your argument that shedding labor doesn't always mean lower prices to the consumer, that's true, which is why I used the term, hopefully. However, lower prices doesn't necessarily mean that you see the price actually go down, it can also mean they don't need to raise the price even though other costs have risen.
    Hi there.

    Actually self service gas stations are not too bad an idea in some places -- in the middle of winter it would be totally uneconomic to provide a complete fully serviced manned building operational for 24 hrs a day seven days a week where only about 17 customers a WEEK would use it -- in sparse Nordic rural populations in the middle of winter you are glad to have these "auto" facilities available - unmanned - and operational by using credit / debit card - basically these pumps are just single or double set of pumps with a credit / debit card facility. - You don't want to be short of Gas in these places -- you probably won't make it to morning if you do run out !!!.

    -- not sure how your State of Oregon would manage selling gas in those types of scenarios - or can people only buy gas in the larger cities during "basic business hours".

    Supermarkets are a totally different issue though. There's no reason for them to have ALL automatic checkouts - some people like them - then supply a few but keep the other system for the vast majority that prefer it -- I don't think we need to shed any tears over profits being raked up by major Supermarket chains nearly everywhere -- and isn't time we stopped regarding issues like "Our profits are 10% LESS than last year" as being a business failure -- who really cares if they are STILL raking in MILLIONS of Dollars, Pounds, Euros, Roubles etc etc.

    Basic Capitalism has its faults - other systems have been tried but don't really work except on TINY scales - we need to adapt the system we have that essentially works - but give it a much needed Social Conscience - so if it means slightly less profits but giving more people - especially at the lower levels of skill jobs - in the long run EVERYBODY benefits - yes - even the Supermarkets - if they can just forget their balance sheet for a few days. !!!

    (I remember the last time I was in a Bar in California chatting to some guys who were taking me to a Baseball game later - that their main worry wasn't actually the possibility or fear of losing their jobs but the fact that if they lost their jobs their healthcare for them and their families would vanish -- and these were two relatively well paid individuals living in one of the most prosperous areas in by far the wealthiest nation on the planet --(it will still take China around till 2250 or even longer to approach the basic wealth of the USA).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    I don't use the self-checkouts. I see no reason to make a cashier unemployed while the big store saves money on wages, workmens compensation insurance, matching social security tax.
    All those savings don't lower consumer costs, they build more stores and increase the exec bonuses.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    I don't use the self-checkouts. I see no reason to make a cashier unemployed while the big store saves money on wages, workmens compensation insurance, matching social security tax.
    All those savings don't lower consumer costs, they build more stores and increase the exec bonuses.
    All very good points; however, I always use the auto checkouts because they are always less crowded and I usually only have a few items, so they work for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I just stood in line at the supermarket. Only 3 or 4 mins of my time. I am prepared to do that to help save our society.

    I explained to the cashier why. The guy behind me agreed. He said , "It wasn't like this 15 years ago". It seems a few of the public are aware of the problem.

    If we use the auto check out, the supermarket claims we "chose" to do that which justifies them cutting staff and hours. Fewer jobs, more of those jobs that remain part time minimal pay and no rights, more subsidy being paid by the taxpayer, more social unease.

    That is why there is a growing gap between the super rich and everyone else.

    "Flexible labour policies" are the problem.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 2,191
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I just stood in line at the supermarket. Only 3 or 4 mins of my time. I am prepared to do that to help save our society.

    I explained to the cashier why. The guy behind me agreed. He said , "It wasn't like this 15 years ago". It seems a few of the public are aware of the problem.

    If we use the auto check out, the supermarket claims we "chose" to do that which justifies them cutting staff and hours. Fewer jobs, more of those jobs that remain part time minimal pay and no rights, more subsidy being paid by the taxpayer, more social unease.

    That is why there is a growing gap between the super rich and everyone else.

    "Flexible labour policies" are the problem.
    Agreed; however, in my case, where I shop, the checkout clerks are actually lazy and you can see them "watching each other" to make sure they go just "slow enough" to not get the next checkout. They love to sit on their backsides and read a book or magazine and I have never heard them complain about doing so. This is the ACME chain where I shop and they are the laziest employees I have ever met. AND don't even both to tray an buzz the meat dept because all they ever do is talk about "union issues."

    However, on the other hand, Wegman's is incredibly different. The checkout clerks "are required" to stand out front of their register "and encourage" you to enter so there is never a need for me to even consider auto chekout when I'm there because the lines go so fast.

    So, waht a difference a store makes! I've even seen the ACME slouches turn off their lights when you approach their checkout line as they continue to read a magazine off the rack. IMHO, those jobs are not worth saving; period!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Related Threads
how does one set up the auto log in in User Accounts and Family Safety
how does one set up the auto log in function. I am tired of inputting my password?
Hello, I use Windows 8 Pro and I have very strange problem. I enabled display hidden and system files, but system auto-disable its... I make it about three times, always with the same result. I don't know what causes this problem, I can't reproduce its (it isn't after reboot). Also I have...
My mouse hates power down in Drivers & Hardware
When I reboot my system after removing power to the motherboard, the mouse and keyboard do not work. My mbo is an ASUS P7H55. Although the mbo may be part of the problem, I think Windows 8 may be implicated too. I'm using a clean newly installed Windows 8 system. I can reboot with no mouse...
Auto Hot Keys? in General Support
Near the end of my days with Windows 7 I discovered a neat program called, Auto Hot Keys. Once I upgraded to Windows * the Auto Hot Keys seemed to no longer function. However, I wonder it Auto Hot Keys will work with W8? Thanks
Valve thinks Windows 8 will be a big flop for gaming. They hate Windows 8 so much, they are readying all Steam games to work on Linux. Valve not sold on Windows 8, working on Linux support for Steam as a backup - News - play.tm This is Huge for Linux fans. And it's about time. Windows...
Hi all Once I've got used to the metro GUI I really like it. This is from an OLDER Guy who absolutely HATES doing anything with mobile phones apart from using them to actually make telephone calls, jam incessant noisy business guys on Eurostar trains between London and Brussels/Paris ...
This article is a month or so old, but thought it was interesting.... More....
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook