Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


First Impressions of Windows 8.1

  1. #1

    First Impressions of Windows 8.1


    So, i downloaded the leak of Windows 8 RTM (while getting full speed of internet, 30 mins of download).
    Upgrade install needs a special key to install, but can activate using Windows 8 key without problems.

    Upgrade took about another 2-hour, plus some hassle with program conflicts (DWMHook, the aero blur for windows 8 doesn't work, so it gives error and crashed DWM), makes the OS to be completely usable took about 4 hours.

    I really loved the start screen customization options, also the small tiles size. Organizing start screen is far easier than Windows 8, and finally, start button is back!

    Too bad my install got so jammed up, that most modern UI apps that came with Windows 8.1 doesn't work, and some Windows 8 apps too. Windows Store won't work. Seems like i should do a refresh, although i don't feel like reinstalling desktop programs all over again.

    I do love the changes Windows 8.1 made to Windows 8, but it could get some more features. I sure hope DWMHook would work with Windows 8.1, since it really adds some desktop eye-candy effects to Windows 8.

    That's my first impression of Windows 8.1, feel free to share your experience and comments.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Now i have to refresh my Windows 8.1 install, some bugs (notably upgrade bugs) started to appear. My WiFi adapter stopped working, performance issues, etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    bangalore
    Posts : 634
    Windows 8.1 professional x64 + WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Now i have to refresh my Windows 8.1 install, some bugs (notably upgrade bugs) started to appear. My WiFi adapter stopped working, performance issues, etc.
    Same thing happened. My wifi adapted also stopped working. and then I reverted back to 8. Will try to upgrade via store after it is released
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by bagavan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Now i have to refresh my Windows 8.1 install, some bugs (notably upgrade bugs) started to appear. My WiFi adapter stopped working, performance issues, etc.
    Same thing happened. My wifi adapted also stopped working. and then I reverted back to 8. Will try to upgrade via store after it is released
    Thanks for sharing bagavan.
    Yep, WiFi adapter stopped working (is it a driver issue?). After refresh i installed the Windows 8 driver (previously windows 7 driver), the adapter worked but cannot browse (severe browsing performance).

    Waiting for weekend to full reformat of the windows 8.1 drive, currently using Windows 7 (ahh dual-boot).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    bangalore
    Posts : 634
    Windows 8.1 professional x64 + WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bagavan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Now i have to refresh my Windows 8.1 install, some bugs (notably upgrade bugs) started to appear. My WiFi adapter stopped working, performance issues, etc.
    Same thing happened. My wifi adapted also stopped working. and then I reverted back to 8. Will try to upgrade via store after it is released
    Thanks for sharing bagavan.
    Yep, WiFi adapter stopped working (is it a driver issue?). After refresh i installed the Windows 8 driver (previously windows 7 driver), the adapter worked but cannot browse (severe browsing performance).

    Waiting for weekend to full reformat of the windows 8.1 drive, currently using Windows 7 (ahh dual-boot).

    Yep Driver issue.

    I also refreshed . adapter worked for few mins and then it stopped working.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    Better in EVERY way --this should have been Windows 8 - then 90% of fuss would have been avoided.

    Only 1 gripe -- SKY GO with IE11 doesn't work (got round that problem using CHROME browser) otherwise everything 100% working and boot to desktop is fine.

    On a Touch enabled laptop I actually LIKE the touch keyboard - especially as I can switch to Icelandic when I need to -- ever tried working in France / Belgium(Brussels / French speaking essentially) and having to type English / Nordic text using an AZERTY keyboard !!!!!.

    I don't use touch on a stand alone monitor but am rapidly coming round to it in other cases such as using Multi Monitors. I originally swore blindly that I would NEVER use it - but for some applications it's fine --of course for cutting / pasting text a MOUSE is still the best tool for the job - but touch doesn't preclude using a mouse either.

    @Bagavan -- on the driver issue -- if you still have the WINDOWS.OLD file from W8 when you installed W8.1 then simply re-install the driver via the "update driver" from the system==>device manager and point the search to the windows.old file -- this will work -- did for me for some special Touch enabled hardware on my new laptop which I upgraded to W8.1

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    Only 1 gripe -- SKY GO with IE11 doesn't work (got round that problem using CHROME browser)
    Don't know if you noticed but Silverlight for 8.1 appeared yesterday in Windows updates. Perhaps that would help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    Better in EVERY way --this should have been Windows 8 - then 90% of fuss would have been avoided.

    Only 1 gripe -- SKY GO with IE11 doesn't work (got round that problem using CHROME browser) otherwise everything 100% working and boot to desktop is fine.

    On a Touch enabled laptop I actually LIKE the touch keyboard - especially as I can switch to Icelandic when I need to -- ever tried working in France / Belgium(Brussels / French speaking essentially) and having to type English / Nordic text using an AZERTY keyboard !!!!!.

    I don't use touch on a stand alone monitor but am rapidly coming round to it in other cases such as using Multi Monitors. I originally swore blindly that I would NEVER use it - but for some applications it's fine --of course for cutting / pasting text a MOUSE is still the best tool for the job - but touch doesn't preclude using a mouse either.

    @Bagavan -- on the driver issue -- if you still have the WINDOWS.OLD file from W8 when you installed W8.1 then simply re-install the driver via the "update driver" from the system==>device manager and point the search to the windows.old file -- this will work -- did for me for some special Touch enabled hardware on my new laptop which I upgraded to W8.1

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks for sharing jimbo.
    I assume that bagavan's issue is the same as mine, so here's what happened:
    Upgrade Install -> WiFi random disconnect and unable to reconnect
    Refresh -> Issue persists.
    Redownloaded driver from hardware manufacturer -> Can connect, but severe performance impact (i was barely able to open google).

    Currently i deleted Windows 8, and i'll redownload the official version of Windows 8.1 from MS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    bangalore
    Posts : 634
    Windows 8.1 professional x64 + WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    Better in EVERY way --this should have been Windows 8 - then 90% of fuss would have been avoided.

    Only 1 gripe -- SKY GO with IE11 doesn't work (got round that problem using CHROME browser) otherwise everything 100% working and boot to desktop is fine.

    On a Touch enabled laptop I actually LIKE the touch keyboard - especially as I can switch to Icelandic when I need to -- ever tried working in France / Belgium(Brussels / French speaking essentially) and having to type English / Nordic text using an AZERTY keyboard !!!!!.

    I don't use touch on a stand alone monitor but am rapidly coming round to it in other cases such as using Multi Monitors. I originally swore blindly that I would NEVER use it - but for some applications it's fine --of course for cutting / pasting text a MOUSE is still the best tool for the job - but touch doesn't preclude using a mouse either.

    @Bagavan -- on the driver issue -- if you still have the WINDOWS.OLD file from W8 when you installed W8.1 then simply re-install the driver via the "update driver" from the system==>device manager and point the search to the windows.old file -- this will work -- did for me for some special Touch enabled hardware on my new laptop which I upgraded to W8.1

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks for sharing jimbo.
    I assume that bagavan's issue is the same as mine, so here's what happened:
    Upgrade Install -> WiFi random disconnect and unable to reconnect
    Refresh -> Issue persists.
    Redownloaded driver from hardware manufacturer -> Can connect, but severe performance impact (i was barely able to open google).

    Currently i deleted Windows 8, and i'll redownload the official version of Windows 8.1 from MS.
    So let us wait for the official release. we both have the same kind of problem.

    @jimbo

    Tried to search in windows.old manually browsed the set up file but did not work.so reverted back to 8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,339
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 bit


    Can anyone tell me what size file the Windows 8.1 RTM upgrade is? I am curious to know, as my ISP is Verizon and I have a limited amount of data usage each month. Thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Related Threads
W8 initial impressions in General Support
We just got our first W8 machine... a laptop... and have a 2nd one coming. So it's time for me to learn something about this new (to me) OS. I'm hardly new to Windows... coming from DOS/OS2 Warp/Win3.x/Win95/Win98/Win2k/WinXP/Vista/W7 and have been a member of the SevenForums for a good while. I...
Black Friday provided me with the opportunity to upgrade to a more powerful computer with Windows 8. Like others, I was more than a little peeved and frustrated by the disappearance of the "Start" icon. After several days of thrashing about, unseemly cussing, and menacingly manhandling what...
Windows 8 First Impressions in General Support
When I came across Microsoft's offer of downloading this new version of Windows for £24.00, I thought, what's the catch? Was there a catch? seems far too cheap a price for Microsoft, Well after installing and testing and every day usage, yes there clearly was a catch, and it is simply this, we have...
First impressions in General Support
I upgrade on of my older lap tops to Windows 8. It's a pretty beefy computer. The upgrade went well. But I do not like this new version and will not upgrade any of my other computers until Microsoft fixes many small problems. Problems I have encountered: 1) The shut down button was...
As a bunch of us just got the retail Win8 Pro version off of TechNet, good time to start a discussion of what actually is there vs. what was rumored. 1. Aero IS gone. 2. Gadgets ARE gone. 3. Windows store has a lot more stuff. I don't see anything that smacks of payment yet. 4. As rumored,...
I installed Windows 8 release preview a few days ago and here are my impressions. First, the good: 1) I like some of the Metro apps, like Internet Explorer and msnbc news. 2) Windows 8 is slightly faster than Windows 7. Now, the bad:
Solved First Impressions in General Support
Well, finally installed Win 8 dev. I tried to install the 64-bit, but it stopped uncompressing at 98 or 99% - several tries. Of course the iso might have been corrupt. I checked online forums and saw others had mentioned this problem. So I humbly installed the 32-bit OS. Worked first time. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook