Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Quick rant about "hidden menus"

  1. #11


    Spain
    Posts : 39
    Windows 8 Professional x64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jf1450 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    we've got kindergarteners and people from all ages using Windows 8 on certain PCs and they're loving it so far.
    It's comforting to know that the kindergarteners love it.
    We are too. If they're loving it, that means they've learned in order to use it, therefore the learning curve can't be as steep as some claim.
    Yup, they've managed to mess with the Start Menu in ways that are hard to imagine, gonma have to track them down and ask them how they did it

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post


    Don't forget this beauty of which one can easily get anywhere in 8 including the desktop with a simple right click:

    Attachment 22621

    Not forgotten, it's actually one of the things I do really like about W8, as I said in my last post..

    Hidden? No. I had no trouble finding it, and I use it all the time. And as I said earlier, I get extremely
    frustrated very quickly when using my W7 or Vista machines as they don't have it.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Not forgotten, it's actually one of the things I do really like about W8, as I said in my last post..

    Hidden? No. I had no trouble finding it, and I use it all the time. And as I said earlier, I get extremely
    frustrated very quickly when using my W7 or Vista machines as they don't have it.

    Wenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    In fact, one of the things I like most about 8 and always have, is one of the hardest to find, it would seem.

    That being the menu at the bottom-left that you get by right-clicking. The lack of this in Win 7 frustrates the living bejaysus out of me!
    Yes, I noticed you stated that and wanted to emphisize that. My apology that I did not reference you.

    And yes, once I learned this system It's difficult for me to use 7. I continue to do business on my 7 side. It's like changing musical instruments. LOL. The other day I was there and had forgotten I was in 7. I pushed WinKey > 2 arrows right > Enter > thinking I was opening a folder in Start Screen. The machine started entering sleep. I had a good chuckle.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    One of the things that is SO complained in Windows 8 is, "I don't see the Settings Charm all the time! I can't remember what app I have open because the app switch bar is hidden! Everything is hidden, why did they hide everything?!"

    False.

    I'll put some context here, I literally just this week found out in Windows 7 that you can change grouping view options in File Explorer. In Windows 8, this is so damn easy with the Ribbon because all you do is hit the View tab, and change grouping options to whatever. I think 8 has more options in that respect, but not the point. To do this in Windows 7, you have to RIGHT CLICK in empty space, to view a HIDDEN CONTEXT MENU, that you would have no bloody idea that it is there, no hint or indication or knowledge of, or even the realization such a thing exists.

    So how is this different from something you don't need to see all the time, such as the Settings Charm (are you REALLY changing app settings all the time) versus a Desktop context menu that you ONLY need for file/view context once every few times?

    THERE ISN'T.

    The argument of "hidden" things in Windows 8 being detrimental is null and void.
    Why do you say that?

    If a new user doesn't find that right-click option in Windows 7 Explorer, then there's plenty of visible UI to tell them what to do.

    Either
    * they click on the ? icon to get help and find out how to do it or
    * they decide they want to exit Windows Explorer, which is easy because they can see Explorer is visible on the Taskbar and can interact with that or
    * their icons remain forever ungrouped, which is no big drama.

    The point is, you can do the basic functionality of most applications and the OS itself using visible UI. If you don't find right-click, you can still get by.

    But for example, if a user in Windows 8 clicks a PDF on an email, and are unexpectedly sent into Reader, there's no visible way out if you don't know the trick.

    I just tried it and all I get is the PDF itself, a +/- control and a scroll bar. Even if you remembered about right-click, it still doesn't help you - you can close the file but still can't exit the app, not even with the icon at the top left that looks like a Back button but was in fact disabled for some reason when I tried it.

    And there's no visible Help, and of course no visible Taskbar from which you can close the app.

    So, for a new user, the "hidden" UI is a very big issue in Windows 8 because you can't do the basics of navigating the system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Related Threads
When I refresh networks, I see all the networks I should (we have an extender, so there are two regions on our house) -- but I also see one called Hidden Network. How do I find out what that is? There are no nearby houses. This has to be emanating from my house.
How to Add Quick Launch to "Send to" Context Menu in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 This will show you how to add Quick Launch to the Send to context menu of your user account in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. This will make it easer to add a copy of items you want to Quick Launch on...
How to Add "List Hidden Files" to Context Menu in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 This tutorial will show you how to add "List Hidden Files" to the context menu of folders and drives to get a list of all hidden files in them in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. While you must be signed in as...
Good day! I am a bit irritated on the way they implemented the "start menu" / metro menu or whatever they call it. I am used to just pressing the start button and then typing the name of the application I want and then pressing enter to launch it. Controls are the same now in windows 8 but I...
is this a bug or something I need to 'enable' ? some of the items that I have added to my desktop do not appear on the graphical desktop - but if I open explorer and flick the desktop folder, they are there. another annoying step... how to correct that? also, does someone have a shortcut to...
So got windows 8 Dev installed so far so good, I thought I would like the left screen bump to go to last app or program used feature till I installed some games and tried to play them suddenly my left side of my screen is no good if needing to scroll to the side say in a game like Starcraft II,...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook