Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Google glasses... I'm uncomfortable with it already

  1. #11


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Privacy laws were not made with this kind of thing in mind. They need to be updated.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
    You lot are no fun, I'll be grabbing my set as soon as they go on sale.
    A most useful technology for sure and I can see where it would be fun in some settings. A private party, parents taking their children on a family outing like the zoo, for the blind as I mentioned, etc. The glasses would be convenient and fun. But as goodintentions and others mentioned I think some people will misuse and/or abuse them.

    I may joke about wearing the mask, but Heaven knows I'm too vain to do that. One of my standard lines when someone is attempting to take my picture is that they'll have to talk to my agent before the snap it, but that's me. We all know people that don't like their picture taken.

    As you may have noticed I'm a lot about human rights. I'm an old hippie. We're a lot about that. I'll have to stick to my guns here. Some people simply do not want their picture taken for whatever reason.

    I'm no lawyer, but I can see this thing ending up in the U.S. Supreme Court and other High Courts in other countries. I think eventually these things will be banned in public, just like skateboards on sidewalks, alcohol in parks without permit, guns in public, etc. Simply too much at risk here. A load of lawsuits, though, before that happens.

    Enjoy your glasses when you get them for now. Eventually I think you'll have a $1000 (if that's what they cost) conversation novelty piece sitting on your end table. Of course you'll be able to continue to use them in a private setting.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
    You lot are no fun, I'll be grabbing my set as soon as they go on sale.
    A most useful technology for sure and I can see where it would be fun in some settings. A private party, parents taking their children on a family outing like the zoo, for the blind as I mentioned, etc. The glasses would be convenient and fun. But as goodintentions and others mentioned I think some people will misuse and/or abuse them.

    I may joke about wearing the mask, but Heaven knows I'm too vain to do that. One of my standard lines when someone is attempting to take my picture is that they'll have to talk to my agent before the snap it, but that's me. We all know people that don't like their picture taken.

    As you may have noticed I'm a lot about human rights. I'm an old hippie. We're a lot about that. I'll have to stick to my guns here. Some people simply do not want their picture taken for whatever reason.

    I'm no lawyer, but I can see this thing ending up in the U.S. Supreme Court and other High Courts in other countries. I think eventually these things will be banned in public, just like skateboards on sidewalks, alcohol in parks without permit, guns in public, etc. Simply too much at risk here. A load of lawsuits, though, before that happens.

    Enjoy your glasses when you get them for now. Eventually I think you'll have a $1000 (if that's what they cost) conversation novelty piece sitting on your end table. Of course you'll be able to continue to use them in a private setting.
    It's always a few numbskulls that ruin it for everyone else.

    I see the google glass as having a lot of potential for good things. The technology could evolve to something that news reporters want to have that will transmit directly back to their stations. Cops could use it to identify suspects. A lot of potential.

    But it's always that hand full of numbskulls that use this to invade other people's privacy. These are the kind of people that don't have any common sense. Like my friend and Adria Richards.

    Speaking of common sense, some people are really clueless and I wouldn't trust them to have something like google glass as their disposal. For example, one day I was taking a shower and a couple of my friends came bursting in with cameras and everything snapping and recording. It was all fun, so I didn't mind. But common sense dictates that I wouldn't want those pictures shown to other people outside our circle of friends, right? Well, one of the girls apparently lack this common sense. Everyone eventually deleted those pictures... or so I thought. I was pissed when I found out one girl had been showing those pictures to some people she knew, laughing and telling people what a good time we had at the cabin. When I confronted her, she went all defensive and said she took those pictures so they were hers and she could do whatever she wanted with them. Yeah, showing random people naked pictures of me in the shower was her right...

    I was very surprised and awestruck. But believe me, some people in this world have no common sense about these things.

    Now, imagine if it becomes a fad to be wearing a camera on your face all the time. It could be on record whenever. There's no more off the record. It's scary to think that someone like my friend, who is naÔve and has no common sense, would have access to this latest fad.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Sounds to me like she wasn't much of a friend after all if she couldn't respect your privacy and private parts. Not cool whatsoever IMO. Yes, a few ruin it for all.

    The old saying "All for one and one for all". Here it's "All in fun, but not for all".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Sounds to me like she wasn't much of a friend after all if she couldn't respect your privacy and private parts. Not cool whatsoever IMO. Yes, a few ruin it for all.

    The old saying "All for one and one for all". Here it's "All in fun, but not for all".
    Again, I've known her for years. We practically grew up together. She doesn't have any malice in her. She's just extremely naÔve and innocent.

    What's scary is lately she's been going to a therapist to be more "independent". This is why I don't like feminists. They claim it's about empowering the female stature. I don't agree. It seems more to me like they're just finding an excuse to be irresponsible. Case in point. She slept with a married man and bragged to me about it because that guy was hot. I got on her case about it and she responded that her therapist told her it wasn't her fault, that the guy chose to do it. Yeah, feminists... But anyway that's another story.

    Aside from the extreme naiveties, she's the most loving person you will ever know. There's not a single mean bone in her. It's just that feminism has given power to those who just aren't meant to be leaders. It's like communism. Put an illiterate child in charge imprison all the doctors and teachers.

    I guess we will have to wait and see. My prediction is in the future, armed with google glass more Adria Richards will show their ugly faces to the world.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 446
    Win 8 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Privacy laws were not made with this kind of thing in mind. They need to be updated.
    If youíre in a public place, depending on country legally you have a limited expectation of privacy regardless of Google Glass. So, I canít see how they can introduce a law to stop Google Glass without banning all photography/videography in public places, which will obviously affect everyone, including tourists taking holiday photos/videos. I canít see many people being too keen on going around every single person asking them to sign a release form every time they take a photo or a video.

    So, itís a hugely complex topic as you canít just single out Google Glass, a law would need to cover every conceivable imaging/sound device and purpose, covering everything from cctv and vehicle dash cams to paps and commissioned photography such as event/wedding photography, etc.

    The only thing they could possibly do would be to allow private individuals to issue takedown notices of any publicly published photographic/video content of themselves that they object to. But even then, as weíve seen happen in the past, sometimes when someone tries to do this, it can have an adverse effect and result in a Streisand effect, making it even worse.

    Itís certainly a tricky subject to try and balance and I don't really know what a practical solution would be.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Quote Originally Posted by ARC1020 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Privacy laws were not made with this kind of thing in mind. They need to be updated.
    If youíre in a public place, depending on country legally you have a limited expectation of privacy regardless of Google Glass. So, I canít see how they can introduce a law to stop Google Glass without banning all photography/videography in public places, which will obviously affect everyone, including tourists taking holiday photos/videos. I canít see many people being too keen on going around every single person asking them to sign a release form every time they take a photo or a video.
    There is a way to keep the current atmosphere of free expression and photoshoot while keep everyone's public privacy to a reasonable level.

    In bars, conferences, etc. the rule is you can take a photo of a crowd of people or a general direction but if you want to take a picture of someone specifically you have to ask for their permission. This simple rule has been working for decades in very public places where people still want to maintain a certain level of privacy.

    Why can't we apply such a rule to everywhere? People can still video record and taking photos of the public. But people can't do so targeting someone specifically without their permission.

    Last week while I was waiting on the train to get off and go home, I noticed a guy staring into his phone. Normal, right? Then I noticed what was on his phone's screen. He was video recording. The camera was pointing downward video recording of the lower half of a woman standing in front of the door waiting to get off the train like me. She was wearing one of those tight pants. When he noticed I was giving him a dirty look, he stopped and put his phone away.

    How do you think that woman would have reacted had I told her what the man was doing behind her? That's just creepy!

    When I'm in public, I know my body is out in the public. But like everyone else, I expect a certain level of privacy. If they change the law to apply the "yes to crowd of people, no to individuals" law, I believe it would solve most of the problem with such a device as google glass.

    It all boils down to the famous "I know it when I see it". Try to guess what the supreme court case was about.
    Last edited by goodintentions; 05 May 2013 at 18:57.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Maryland USA
    Posts : 758
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot


    Privacy is becoming more and more difficult.. Even now creating an email account is nearly impossible to do anonymously.
    Google wants a cell number to attach to your gmail acct.
    MSN wants another email account to link to theirs..
    I havent even checked Yahoo..
    I have email accts from all of them from years ago, none of them are actually connected to me in any way, I didnt trust the internet then, i certainly dont trust it now! People tell me all the time, whats the big deal, just give them this or that, and I say im not afraid of them, im afraid of the collection of information that eventually becomes your whole life that someone can download and become you! Give as little info as you can, if you dont believe they need to have it then dont give it, move on.. Everyday is a battle for my privacy, and I do the best I can..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    SAN FRANCISCO ó Googleís wearable computer, the most anticipated piece of electronic wizardry since the iPad and iPhone, will not go on sale for many months.
    But the resistance is already under way.

    The glasseslike device, which allows users to access the Internet, take photos and film short snippets, has been pre-emptively banned by a Seattle bar. Large parts of Las Vegas will not welcome wearers. West Virginia legislators tried to make it illegal to use the gadget, known as Google Glass, while driving.

    ďThis is just the beginning,Ē said Timothy Toohey, a Los Angeles lawyer specializing in privacy issues. ďGoogle Glass is going to cause quite a brawl.Ē
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/te...-out.html?_r=0
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Related Threads
Chrome uses google.com.th instead of google.co.uk to search so how can i force it to use uk results? i Live in UK PS By search i meant searching via bar not site(google)
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8 This Error is Happening Everytime i Type in Something to Search. Its Really Very Annoying. Can Someone Help Plz ? And YouTube.. This Not Default YouTube Layout. Its unusual, I Think (Chrome & IE) ...
Cannot get to Google in Browsers & Mail
If I type in www.google.com in the address bar on any of the 3 browsers on my friend's computer, it cannot get there. Gives an error. But if I go to Bing and search for Google and click on the result, it gets to www.google.com just fine. If I open a cmd window and ping www.google.com, it times...
Solved google chrome in Browsers & Mail
think my last post got moved to google chrome but i carnt find were to go to get to google chrome part, anyway i have installed google chrome from www.googlechrome.com and now its all in spanish and carnt understand none of the settings, is there a google chrome for windows 8.1 pro in english?
Video Viewer Glasses in Graphic Cards
I just inherited a set of Sharper Image WT217 glasses.:dinesh: Does anyone know where I can download a manual. I've been looking but it seems everyone is looking for it.:confused: Is anyone familiar with this gadget to give me some insight? Thanks Ron
Read more at source: Google: No immediate plans for Google Apps on Windows 8 | Internet & Media - CNET News
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook