Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 surpasses iOS in marketshare

  1. #11


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    they have touch gesturing
    Yeah, gesturing is the right word.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I have a gesture for it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Actually, Lenovo is offering Windows 7 for their enterprise geared PCs.
    Yes, I believe they are doing that by default - they want to sell the things after all.

    I understand the British pc manufacturers are doing similar now - they were asked so often for 7 - it is now the default.

    Bit difficult for the big oems to recall all the consumer stock from around the world, change it to 7, change the packaging, etc, and ship it out again. The oems/retailers will just have to suffer the loss.

    Unless MS is swallowing it for them - I don't know what they paying out in subsidy per unit.

    They could go out on the street and pay the public to get 8 machines - cut out the middleman.

    Don't worry Cokie - I am being a touch facetious for comedy effect.

    Still, many a true word....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Actually, Lenovo is offering Windows 7 for their enterprise geared PCs.
    Yes, I believe they are doing that by default - they want to sell the things after all.

    I understand the British pc manufacturers are doing similar now - they were asked so often for 7 - it is now the default.

    Bit difficult for the big oems to recall all the consumer stock from around the world, change it to 7, change the packaging, etc, and ship it out again. The oems/retailers will just have to suffer the loss.

    Unless MS is swallowing it for them - I don't know what they paying out in subsidy per unit.

    They could go out on the street and pay the public to get 8 machines - cut out the middleman.

    Don't worry Cokie - I am being a touch facetious for comedy effect.

    Still, many a true word....
    No, they're offering it as AN OPTION, not default. That's mostly meant for the enterprise that moved to 7 and don't want to deal with Windows 8 just yet.

    That's actually part of the reason you just said that Windows 8 is doing iffy, at least to Microsoft. OEMs just rebranded 7 era laptops into something Windows 8 "certified" where certified just means touch gestures on the touch pad and the new Start key and the new stickers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    they have touch gesturing
    Yeah, gesturing is the right word.
    Which is enough to get started with Windows 8. Can you open the Charms bar with your mouse doing a two finger gesture? Or minimize all your windows with a three finger gesture? Or can you do a two finger gesture left to switch apps?

    I think not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    they have touch gesturing
    Yeah, gesturing is the right word.
    Which is enough to get started with Windows 8. Can you open the Charms bar with your mouse doing a two finger gesture? Or minimize all your windows with a three finger gesture? Or can you do a two finger gesture left to switch apps?

    I think not.
    Coke, you don't understand. I don't want any charms bar or any finger gestures. I have lived with computers for over 50 years without that. You are part of a minute group of people that want that stuff. I hope MS can make a living on the revenue from your kind.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Cokie
    Can you open the Charms bar with your mouse doing a two finger gesture?
    The fairy wand is a waste of time on a proper pc.

    You are right about a 2 finger gesture being appropriate for it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    cokie

    No, they're offering it as AN OPTION, not default. That's mostly meant for the enterprise that moved to 7 and don't want to deal with Windows 8 just yet.
    Really?

    You don't notch up 15 consecutive quarters of growth in a declining market without doing something right - so what's PC maker Lenovo doing right?

    Lenovo is protecting enterprises from the waterboarding torture of the Microsoft Windows 8 operating system. The majority of Lenovo's enterprise shipments have Windows 7 installed...

    ...the machines are "downgraded" to Windows 7 by default. Of course, that's exactly what customers want - and Lenovo is reaping the benefit of listening to those customers.
    Lenovo: Windows 8 is so good, everyone wants Windows 7


    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I like what Lenovo does. Unfortunately they have only vintage desktops - e.g. no third generation Intel CPUs, only second generation (in Germany). Dell is better at that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Yeah, gesturing is the right word.
    Which is enough to get started with Windows 8. Can you open the Charms bar with your mouse doing a two finger gesture? Or minimize all your windows with a three finger gesture? Or can you do a two finger gesture left to switch apps?

    I think not.
    Coke, you don't understand. I don't want any charms bar or any finger gestures. I have lived with computers for over 50 years without that. You are part of a minute group of people that want that stuff. I hope MS can make a living on the revenue from your kind.
    You're not understanding my point. You can't interact with Windows 8 with just a standard mouse.

    And no, I'm not a minute group of people, I'm basically the next generation of PC users that won't be using a mouse soon. The next generation of PC users will never know what a mouse is. They will think of that as wired phones. That's just the way of progress whether it is liked or not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Related Threads
Five months in: Windows 8′s market share finally surpasses desktop Linux | ExtremeTech
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook