Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


The Surface Pro arrived

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    That reversed Fn - F1 F2 F3... is also what I have on my Win8 laptop. Pretty messy when you need boot devices list or booting with advanced options.

    The (primary) usage on a desk is not really what a tablet is supposed to do and in that case I'll pass because as I said, laptops are on the desk.

    HD screen and the overall Pro specs are really nice though. 150% dpi: it makes the image really sharp but it fills some decent screen for UI again and practically makes it comparable with 1366x768 without the low-res blurriness. But at that size you should be able to use the touch functionality better (I'm sure that was the reason for the high dpi settings).
    At least my laptop (which is Fn-F1 to press F1) have the switch in the BIOS. Now i can press Fn-F10 to Volume Up.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    That reversed Fn - F1 F2 F3... is also what I have on my Win8 laptop. Pretty messy when you need boot devices list or booting with advanced options.

    The (primary) usage on a desk is not really what a tablet is supposed to do and in that case I'll pass because as I said, laptops are on the desk.

    HD screen and the overall Pro specs are really nice though. 150% dpi: it makes the image really sharp but it fills some decent screen for UI again and practically makes it comparable with 1366x768 without the low-res blurriness. But at that size you should be able to use the touch functionality better (I'm sure that was the reason for the high dpi settings).
    At least my laptop (which is Fn-F1 to press F1) have the switch in the BIOS. Now i can press Fn-F10 to Volume Up.
    Interesting.
    Is that an HP as well? Hmmm... wonder what option in the BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    That reversed Fn - F1 F2 F3... is also what I have on my Win8 laptop. Pretty messy when you need boot devices list or booting with advanced options.

    The (primary) usage on a desk is not really what a tablet is supposed to do and in that case I'll pass because as I said, laptops are on the desk.

    HD screen and the overall Pro specs are really nice though. 150% dpi: it makes the image really sharp but it fills some decent screen for UI again and practically makes it comparable with 1366x768 without the low-res blurriness. But at that size you should be able to use the touch functionality better (I'm sure that was the reason for the high dpi settings).
    At least my laptop (which is Fn-F1 to press F1) have the switch in the BIOS. Now i can press Fn-F10 to Volume Up.
    Interesting.
    Is that an HP as well? Hmmm... wonder what option in the BIOS.
    Yes it is a HP.
    The option is called Action Keys Mode, located in System Configuration tab on InsydeH2O BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I'd kill out the recovery partition and move it to a flash drive to recovery some space on the SSD.
    The recovery partition is only 8GB and the Surface Pro is clean of malware, so I could see restoring this thing to factory settings. So, I will leave that alone, at least for the time being.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    DPI set to more than 100%?
    Out of the box, it's set at 150%. And the IE browser is set to zoom to 150% right out of the box.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Have you typed with the touch keyboard yet? I doubt you can do a laptop propping of the Pro like that, I would imagine it would be preferable to hold it with one hand or something or propped up with no type cover on. But you'd need to type with the touch keyboard. I like the touch keyboard on Windows 8, it works better than the ipad or android for sure, but I don't know about a 10.6 inch screen though.
    The touch keyboard works pretty much the same as any tablet device. You have to 2 finger type, you cannot keep your hands resting on the keys and use it like a real keyboard. At least, I don't seem to be able to.

    I'm using the Surface now for this post, but using the Type cover keyboard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    How's the stylus like?
    Well, first...it magnetically attaches to the Surface Pro, where the power adapter goes. It doesn't have any other storage location as far as I can tell. So, my gut tells me it's going to get lost rather quickly since you have to detach it to recharge the Surface. And it's $30 accessory if you need to replace it. It works, and it recognizes my handwriting, but it's a wee bit slow doing it. I find I am just sitting there waiting for it. It gets most words right, but does mangle some. It's like using Swype on an Android.

    One thing I find odd with the pen is that you cannot scroll websites and such using it as the touch device. You have to use the slider bars on the sides of the browser. Just feels odd to have to switch between finger tips and the pen in order to accomplish some tasks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The Fn and Fx key combo isn't really new, I've seen it done with certain OEM laptops before. I would think that's a no biggie.
    Well, I am sure that I would get used to it. But on my desktops and laptops, I hit F3 for the search in my browser and it's second nature. Oh well, not the end of the world.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I think the Pro has wifi issues as a reported glitch. Apparently Microsoft is working on a fix, which I don't get why that is though. I don't understand how companies release a new product and have issues found with them. Wouldn't you think they vigorously tested their product BEFORE releasing it?
    I'm only like 20 feet from the AP right now, and I'm only getting 1/2 signal. My laptop and phone are both significantly stronger. Hopefully they get this resolved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Please say you've at least pinned SOME things to Start?
    Well, obviously apps getting installed create tiles. I've deleted far more than I have added myself. On the Surface,I will use the Start Screen a whole lot more than my laptop. On the laptop, I pretty much don't even see the Start Screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I think I must have great vision as I recently used a Dell XPS AIO with like the 2560 by whatever resolution it is, it's above 1080p but I'm lazy right now and don't want to figure it out. Changing the DPI to 150% proved to be real effective on the Desktop, made things MUCH easier to touch and view.
    Some things look great, other things do not. It's real hit or miss. Like I said above, 150% DPI is default on this device. Thus far the only thing that has looked really bad was RDP. Things were just way too small to really use. Most other things like Control Panel and Windows menus are fine enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Strange how the gestures aren't supported with the touchpad. You're doing them correctly I'm assuming? Odd, maybe Microsoft REALLY wants you to touch Windows 8.
    Well, I can do the gestures just fine on my Dell laptop with Windows 8...so I think I have a good handle on how to do them. I'll have to scour the web and see if there is a driver or something for the type cover to enable gesture support. But I am sure it wasn't a concern since this is a touchscreen device and why not just touch the screen rather than use gestures on the touchpad to simulate it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I'd kill out the recovery partition and move it to a flash drive to recovery some space on the SSD.
    The recovery partition is only 8GB and the Surface Pro is clean of malware, so I could see restoring this thing to factory settings. So, I will leave that alone, at least for the time being.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    DPI set to more than 100%?
    Out of the box, it's set at 150%. And the IE browser is set to zoom to 150% right out of the box.


    The touch keyboard works pretty much the same as any tablet device. You have to 2 finger type, you cannot keep your hands resting on the keys and use it like a real keyboard. At least, I don't seem to be able to.

    I'm using the Surface now for this post, but using the Type cover keyboard.


    Well, first...it magnetically attaches to the Surface Pro, where the power adapter goes. It doesn't have any other storage location as far as I can tell. So, my gut tells me it's going to get lost rather quickly since you have to detach it to recharge the Surface. And it's $30 accessory if you need to replace it. It works, and it recognizes my handwriting, but it's a wee bit slow doing it. I find I am just sitting there waiting for it. It gets most words right, but does mangle some. It's like using Swype on an Android.

    One thing I find odd with the pen is that you cannot scroll websites and such using it as the touch device. You have to use the slider bars on the sides of the browser. Just feels odd to have to switch between finger tips and the pen in order to accomplish some tasks.


    Well, I am sure that I would get used to it. But on my desktops and laptops, I hit F3 for the search in my browser and it's second nature. Oh well, not the end of the world.



    I'm only like 20 feet from the AP right now, and I'm only getting 1/2 signal. My laptop and phone are both significantly stronger. Hopefully they get this resolved.


    Well, obviously apps getting installed create tiles. I've deleted far more than I have added myself. On the Surface,I will use the Start Screen a whole lot more than my laptop. On the laptop, I pretty much don't even see the Start Screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I think I must have great vision as I recently used a Dell XPS AIO with like the 2560 by whatever resolution it is, it's above 1080p but I'm lazy right now and don't want to figure it out. Changing the DPI to 150% proved to be real effective on the Desktop, made things MUCH easier to touch and view.
    Some things look great, other things do not. It's real hit or miss. Like I said above, 150% DPI is default on this device. Thus far the only thing that has looked really bad was RDP. Things were just way too small to really use. Most other things like Control Panel and Windows menus are fine enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Strange how the gestures aren't supported with the touchpad. You're doing them correctly I'm assuming? Odd, maybe Microsoft REALLY wants you to touch Windows 8.
    Well, I can do the gestures just fine on my Dell laptop with Windows 8...so I think I have a good handle on how to do them. I'll have to scour the web and see if there is a driver or something for the type cover to enable gesture support. But I am sure it wasn't a concern since this is a touchscreen device and why not just touch the screen rather than use gestures on the touchpad to simulate it.
    Interesting, DPI is set to 150% by default. I would probably had set it to 125 over 150, that would be used on a larger, much higher resolution screen I'd think.

    I've used touch typing with Windows 8 and Lenovo Yoga, but I think that was 11.6 inches of screen. I was able to type rather fast, not a two finger type. For me, the keyboard was JUST RIGHT. android's keyboard is not, neither is the ipad. It's too.... constricted I guess.

    The handwriting recognition is I think a type of machine learning that has been in Windows for years, it takes some time and use for it to understand YOUR handwriting and adapt to it. But it needs you to write legibly though. Interesting how the stylus doesn't scroll, like it doesn't do ANY scrolling? This seems like a driver update is in the works as Photoshop doesn't really recognize it as pressure sensitive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Changing to 125% makes it just a bit too small for most to use. It's clear and looks good, but it's just very small and you have to get quite close to read it.

    I will get a picture of the onscreen keyboard and my hands in relation to it. It's too small to really "type" on with the 10.6" screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Orbiting the Moon
    Posts : 2,975
    Windows 10 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post

    At least my laptop (which is Fn-F1 to press F1) have the switch in the BIOS. Now i can press Fn-F10 to Volume Up.
    Interesting.
    Is that an HP as well? Hmmm... wonder what option in the BIOS.
    Yes it is a HP.
    The option is called Action Keys Mode, located in System Configuration tab on InsydeH2O BIOS.
    Thanks a million!
    I got it too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopachi View Post

    Interesting.
    Is that an HP as well? Hmmm... wonder what option in the BIOS.
    Yes it is a HP.
    The option is called Action Keys Mode, located in System Configuration tab on InsydeH2O BIOS.
    Thanks a million!
    I got it too.
    You're welcome!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Hilarious chain of events today.

    I decide that I want to join the Surface Pro to our work domain and logon with my domain account. So, I join the box to the domain. Then I add my domain account to the local admins group on the Surface.

    I then reboot the surface, and attempt to logon to the domain. I cannot because the Surface Pro cannot find a domain controller. The Surface cannot find a domain controller, because the wireless network is not yet operational because it's set per user, AFTER the user logs on.

    So, from the main screen, I am unable to login because there is no option to connect FIRST to the network and then to logon. This is something that my CHROMEBOOK handled just fine. From the main logon screen, I was able to connect FIRST to the network and then logon with my gmail account.

    EPIC FAIL Microsoft.


    The solution
    Surface Pro Wifi only and domain login

    1). Get a USB network dongle and attach to get logged in first time
    2) Go into Group Policy, allow device to run apps as ANOTHER user. Login with local account, run something like calculator as your domain account so your credential gets cached. Then, logout and logon with your domain account.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Bizarre.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Related Threads
My bourbon barrel arrived!! in Chillout Room
I just ordered a 10 gallon (40 liter) wood (white oak) bourbon barrel from a distillery in New York and it arrived on Friday. Since this barrel was used once for bourbon, I'll be able to reuse it 3 times to age beer that I brew. My buddy is coming over this Sunday and we'll each brew a 5 gallon...
Solved Surface rt 8.1 in Drivers & Hardware
Is it harmful to run my Surface2 RT 8.1 using ac instead of the battery? Thanks shiron
Source: Supported operating systems for Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2
Is the Surface Pro for you in Windows 8 News
This seems like a fair review of the Surface Pro, it's not going to be for everyone, but it will be ideally suited to a large number of people. Is the brilliant, quirky, flawed Surface Pro right for you? | ZDNet
Read more at source: Microsoft Surface Pro to have half the Surface RT's battery life | ZDNet
From Mark Minasi (long-time Winodws guru/trainer) Newsletter #103: 28 Days Below the Surface:* Looking at Windows 8 RT on Microsoft's New Tablet
Surface with Windows RT includes Microsoft Skydrive and pre order here for the UK Microsoft Store United Kingdom Online Store - Welcome
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook