Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Dear car manufacturers at ChryslerBenzToyota

  1. #11


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    @David

    Very funny

    I'm just going outside for a drive ... I may be some time...
    I am not sure many would have got the reference.


    Click image for larger version

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Let's say Microsoft has made a mistake with this new OS. Let's say big companies should listen more those small voices bringing the butter on the bread. Let's say everybody understands and accepts that other people might have different opinions, not only in Windows but everything.

    Let's say it were a perfect world... Clint is the president, there's no wars, nobody has ever heard of a BSOD.

    If so, this thread would not exist. There had never been arguments like the one that made me post, I had no reason to write the original post. A Seven Forums and Eight Forums geek as I am, and especially the Windows 7 and 8 fan I am, it makes me sometimes very sad and almost always very angry to see that so big part of this, discussion about a new OS, is turning ugly, counterproductive and useless.

    Questions to those against 8:

    • Please tell me what is the authority you have when you write as if your opinion were the only acceptable fact?
    • If you are not using and will not use 8, what gives you the right criticize those who will?
    • Where can I find more information about "the fact" that Microsoft is forcing you to use Windows 8?


    Questions to 8 fans:

    • Please tell me what is the authority you have when you call anti-8 people idiots who just can't understand?
    • If you find 8 is the answer to your prayers, do you really think you have the right to force your opinion on others?


    I have nothing against a good argument. An argument based on facts, not on biased opinions used as facts. I really like Windows 8 but I understand that you might not like it. I will never start insulting you or think you are stupid if your opinion differs from that of mine.

    I hope we could start using civilized language presenting our opinions, in civilized manners respecting each and everyones right to have an opinion. I would like to see more "IMO"s and less "F***ing 8"s, more "I think users will..." and less "The fact is nobody..."

    Let's try to change a useless and counterproductive fight to an important and productive discussion, exchange of opinions.

    Kari
    Last edited by Kari; 28 Feb 2013 at 06:02. Reason: Fixed several typos
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Let's say...
    Great post, and I agree with what you say here. My apologies for the post earlier- my intention was to be light-hearted.

    For me Windows 8 is a mixture- there are bits I think are a step forward and bits I think are a step backwards.

    To pursue your car analogy for a little - I see the XP7 as a very versatile SUV-type vehicle. It has four wheel drive, can go anywhere, has lots of seats for a family but you can also fold the seats flat to move big loads. It isn't the fastest or the prettiest but has widespread appeal and there's a garage/ shop in every town that can repair it or sell you accessories.

    The Model 8 has the front end of a 2-seater sports car, sleek, and definitely faster, but this is attached to the back of an SUV ...and you can see the join. The SUV bit at the back looks like it's been put back as an afterthought, and the instruments and seats look like they came from an older model. Under the bonnet you can see they've made the engine better and more efficient, (although there are still one or two loose wires under there).

    The Model 8 is a compromise, still nearly as good for most things as the XP7, and better in some ways. I think my main concern is not what the Model 8 does, but where it's all heading.

    Maybe Model 9 will *just* be that 2 seater sports car, with no back seats and very little luggage space.

    For some people this is great - it's faster, more efficient, more stylish. But for the folks with kids who need that luggage space it's no use to them. And many of them have spent a lot of money on the ChryslerBenzToyota car seats and stereo accessories which won't fit any other car, so knowing there's a choice of car manufacturers still isn't great comfort.

    So you'd get a mix of people who have some improvements, but also a lot of people who just won't be able to use it at all any more. It's this latter group who will be more annoyed and vocal. Reconciling these groups is likely to be tricky - and I think that's reflected in the debate on here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Questions to those against 8:
    I actually quite like most of 8. I'm not against 8 so much as the direction of travel it is said to represent in the next big version... but here goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    • Please tell me what is the authority you have when you write as if your opinion were the only acceptable fact?
    I don't think it is. I just know that for me personally (and many I work with) a "Metro-only" Windows 9 (or whatever it's called) would be nearly unusable at work due to full screen and lack of windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    • If you are not using and will not use 8, what gives you the right criticize those who will?
    I'm using Windows 8 on my personal computers. I saw the cheap upgrade price and thought it was a good deal, and I still do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    • Where can I find more information about "the fact" that Microsoft is forcing you to use Windows 8?
    I'm not currently forced to use it. However sooner or later the corporate IT folk will start upgrading, which means many people won't have a choice. They will stick with Windows because they have so much invested in Windows software. Not only that, but my boss will have this quaint idea that I should be more productive (not less!) with a newer operating system. The corporate IT might skip Windows 8 but it will be tougher to avoid both Windows 8 and the one after, so it's important to me that Microsoft get the next version right and don't make my life too much worse.

    That's my 2-pennyworth anyway!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    David, I hope you understand my post was not personal, not for or about any single person. I used "You" in a very general way and meaning.

    Just want to be sure you did not misunderstand me .

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 60
    W8 Inspiron 17R W8P+MCE HTPC


    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I decided it was time to upgrade to your latest 2013 Model 8, although my old car the sporty Model XP7 I like so much is still running and serving me well. However, it has become a bit small for our family needs.

    The retailer told me that Model 8 is what I need as you do no longer produce Model XP7, so I bought it and I have to tell you I am really disappointed.

    Where should I start?

    The Start button on Model XP7 was exactly what I needed. I sat down behind the wheel, pressed the Start and was instantly ready to go. Now you have added functions to it on Model 8 and made it bigger, I don't like it. You must bring the old button to start the engine back.

    I was completely happy with the music and entertainment system on my old Model XP7. It played my mp3s when I plugged iPad in. Now on Model 8 the whole media system is made to look and feel new and different, I should now use it from touch screen interface but when I'm driving I must use the buttons on the steering wheel instead. Of course all the functions are easily done also this way but I hate the idea that you made this also for touch screen lovers. Not good, change it back.

    The outer looks and design are also not so eye pleasing, I liked my old Model XP7 more. Why did you change it?

    As you can see from the above opinions, I am an expert in the field of cars and if I say nobody likes this new car of yours it must for sure be a fact. What right do you have to no longer make the Model XP7 which I love so much? If I do not like the new Model 8, nobody does! I am The Authority here!

    I know that if I am not happy with your cars I can always drive Lixus Kubu or Orange yZac. You are not forcing me to drive a ChrylslerBezToyota, but I want to have ChryslerBenzToyota so I'm warning you: You must never create new models of your cars, you must discard all changes and bring my old XP7 back to market, or I will see nobody buys a car from you again. What kind of idiots you are, anyway, for creating something new. We consumers do not want changes, everything must stay as it is.

    Yours, The Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    LOL.

    MS thrust to leverage their monopoly power and train the users so they can be monetised may turn out to be disastrous for us all.

    Attachment 17391


    But it is providing much hilarity along the way:


    Fokker 1917

    Attachment 17392


    Eurofighter 2013

    Attachment 17393

    Pictures unashamedly borrowed from jaclaz .
    LoL!!

    Brilliant!!!.... Guys crack me up glad I joined the 8 forums.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Stick around, win 8 is proving a barell of laughs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Windows 8 for monkeys - I love it. That guy was probably their product tester. If he can make it, the market is unlimited - so they think.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    I still remember how you had to drag people kicking and screaming away from their XP boxes and force them to use Windows 7. And I've heard the same story from 9x to XP.

    I believe it's simply a matter of people simply refusing and/or unable to learn a new OS. Granted it's a bigger step than from XP->7, but people are learning touchscreen OSs such as iOS and Android perfectly fine. I'm perfectly happy with 8 myself.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Windows 8 for monkeys - I love it. That guy was probably their product tester. If he can make it, the market is unlimited - so they think.
    That same concept can be seen in Dragon's Den (or Shark Tank or whatever name the program format is using in you area), that's how people tend to think: "I made it, ergo it is good and you'll love it. Please give me the money."

    Sadly this can be seen in bigger circles, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by FuturDreamz View Post
    I still remember how you had to drag people kicking and screaming away from their XP boxes and force them to use Windows 7. And I've heard the same story from 9x to XP.
    Stick around and you will see that quite a many of those who back in 2009 at Seven Forums were telling XP users who complained that why and what are they complaining about, they can continue using XP if they want to, these same users have now reversed their roles and act as those complainers then.

    It's same phenomena that what WHS said and I quoted above: "Windows 7 was good because I liked it. Windows 8 is bad because I do not like it. I am the authority"
    Last edited by Kari; 03 Mar 2013 at 07:36.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I believe it's simply a matter of people simply refusing and/or unable to learn a new OS.
    That comes from the erroneous belief that everything new must automatically be better for every user in every way.

    Clearly that is not the case.

    A new product might be better at some things, worse at others. It might have features which serve the seller, not the prospective buyer, or any number of combinations.

    My new fridge freezer is a tiny little bit lower in energy consumption than my previous one ( mainly because it has a smaller capacity ). In all other respects it is far worse than my previous one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Related Threads
Windows 8.1 is ready, gets released to manufacturers | Microsoft - CNET News :dinesh:
Get the whole sad story here....
Dear Microsoft... in Chillout Room
19305 A Guy ;)
Oh dear.... in Chillout Room
Well, something that EVERY single tech head fears more than death, hard drive failure. Today, my 500 gig hard drive has expired, it is a former hard drive, it is gone to be with other dead hard drives, this hard drive is not a hard drive anymore!! :huh: :( :cry: :mad: :cry: Worst part about...
Dear Microsoft, in General Support
I am a Windows user and Windows 8 is awesome! :thumb: Regards, A Windows User
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook