Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Do you obey the speed limit?

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    They're making (or trying to make) a fast buck off of unsuspecting drivers, and so is the company that makes the devices (they get a portion of the "profit" from each citation). The manufacturer is apparently marketing their devices to other places as well.
    I know you weren't actually making this argument, but......
    I always love the argument that cops need to be in plain site and visible, otherwise they are somehow cheating the system. You were either speeding or you weren't.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    They're making (or trying to make) a fast buck off of unsuspecting drivers, and so is the company that makes the devices (they get a portion of the "profit" from each citation). The manufacturer is apparently marketing their devices to other places as well.
    I know you weren't actually making this argument, but......
    I always love the argument that cops need to be in plain site and visible, otherwise they are somehow cheating the system. You were either speeding or you weren't.
    I agree with your post 100%. Either one was speeding or one wasn't and, of course, shouldn't. But, does new technology give governments the right to capitalize on the wrongdoing of some and ruin it for others as Terry pointed out? If they need more money why not just raise the local taxes?

    Keep in mind that I agree with "Big Brother" to some extent with cameras at ATMs, banks, gas stations, schools, stores, etc., but everywhere as it's becoming blatantly prevalent?

    Little villages are popping up around our outer burb. I was on a road we grew up on last night on our way to a restaurant. Once upon a time the speed limit was 65. Then changed to 55. Then 45. Now going through a little village on 5 miles of the road it's 25. ??? I can see lowering the speed because of higher population, but 25?!! Clearly a money making speed trap plus they don't want traffic traveling through their village. That IMO is not considering the needs of the general area. It's plain selfishness.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    I don't want to see small villages suffer, but like I maintain, if you are speeding, you are speeding. Pay up or slow down. There are no areas that I honestly "avoid" because i have to drive slow through the area and I don't want to slow down.

    Perhaps someday, we will have these self driving cars that will simply out of programming have to obey the speed limit and we won't have to speed, nor will we have to have speed traps. Of course, when that happens, people will hold onto their old cars just like some hold onto XP, Vista or 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    We have so far gotten three lovely little "gotcha" notices from the little village. I wasn't driving the vehicle any of the times, and the person who was driving it has owned up to the responsibility.

    Here's my take though: if I get stopped for speeding, or some other violation, by a police officer, then fine, I learn my lesson and I slow down. I'm not likely to go zipping through the same place a couple days later doing the same thing. These notices, though, came weeks after the violation, and by then "driver" has been made aware of multiple violations.

    The motivation has more to do with money for the village than safety, and that's my problem with it. They freely admit that the revenue from these citations will make up 40% of their budget next year.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    The motivation has more to do with money for the village than safety, and that's my problem with it. They freely admit that the revenue from these citations will make up 40% of their budget next year.
    Of course, it's about money. Many of these police departments are struggling massively with restricted and depleted budgets. But the facts do remain that you were speeding, or your car was. It's not like they are sending you tickets when you are doing 25 because you were in their "opinion" "driving carelessly".

    My dad has used a radar detector for years. I don't see any point in spending money on detectors and such, as it seems to be better to me to obey the posted speed limits instead.

    It is aggravating when the speed limit changes repeatedly in a specific area and they catch you there. At least with stuff like GPS's and such they can alert you to the fact that you are now driving over the posted limit and hopefully give you enough advance notice to avoid the sneaky camera.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post

    I love it when the price of gas comes up and people will complain about the price and how much they spend. They debate the benefits of proper tire inflation, or keeping their windows open/closed....but yet they neglect to slow down, drive at the speed limit and limit acceleration. These 2 items will give you more bang for the buck than using Gas Buddy and driving across town to save 4c per gallon on fuel.
    OH MY GOD YES!! It gets irritating in traffic where I'm coasting 600 feet from a stop light that JUST turned to red, and some jackal is passing me, just so they can STOP FASTER!! Really right now?! By the time I reach the light, it's turned green and I still have momentum going and save gas and RPMs.

    A better solution overall is to stop using stop lights are certain large, major intersections and use round-a-bouts. Not only do they look cool, they're WAY more efficient overall as traffic keeps flowing and not stopped and waiting.

    I may pursue a career as a city planner....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Thinking about this, the time before going 130, there was a time I dragged raced a sad sac with a fart box on his tricked out Honda Civic that had more aftermarket upgrades than the car itself was worth. Fart boxes (loud superfluous mufflers) annoy me. So at the stop light, the light turned green and he kind of rabbited off with that OBNOXIOUS noise. Instinctual response? Floor the pedal. I got about 70 on a 35 MPH road (everyone goes 45 on it though as the road was originally 45 before the reconstruction a few years ago) and won. Now, my car isn't a racing car, doesn't have a turbo, nothing. It's a 4 banger engine from 1990 and is a five door hatchback. It well outpaced this dinky 2003 Honda Civic with upgrades that cost more than my car is worth! AHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

    Not only that, I had a lady friend with me too. Love that car.

    Also speaking about gas mileage, I'm known among my friends as a "bad" driver. I refute this as I follow driving regulations to the T as much as humanly possible, always drive the limit. BUT, there are adjustments I make to the regulations for the sake of good fuel mileage. One trick I use is coasting which just pisses people off and make them pass me so they can stop faster at a red light. The other is more dangerous and probably is how I get the reputation of being a "bad" driver. Basically, if I have to turn left onto an intersecting off ramp or there is an intersection that isn't hugely used and has a good turn radius, I take advantage of those. Meaning, I make turns onto said intersecting roads at about 40 or miles an hour. I don't fishtail that often as I plan the turn to be a nice sweeping arc as to keep my momentum going, so when I'm on the road and accelerate I'm about 30-35 MPH and closer to third gear (most efficient gear) and on. There have been a few times were I took those turns at about 50-55ish. You can tell I did a lot of those turns going left as my front passenger side tire is balding on the outer edge.

    There is also another thing I just remembered while we're talking about speeds and MPH, a LOT of speedometers lie. They don't accurately show your speed. I think this is more common on Japanese or fuel economical cars, but they're off about 3 to 5 MPH so you think you're driving 60, but going maybe 56. If you get passed often on the highway, your speedometer is a liar. The more accurate way to know what speed you're going is using a GPS' speed gauge. This is done to overly emphasize fuel economy and kind of is a plus because you don't get pulled over for going over the limit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    LOL, Cokie! We all knew your speedometer has been off for quite some time! But then, as you say, so is everyone's!

    I know the type. I call them the Gearhead 4banger club. My son and a few nephews. Mufflers as loud as can be and mega-amp stereos. I can't tell which is louder! My God, these kids will be deaf before they're 35! On the other hand, the Led Zeppelin and other band concerts I attended didn't exactly help my hearing either.

    My son is more the "Top Gun" type. Just got out of the Navy, now going to school via the GI Bill. Proud of him, but what a speed demon! Crotch rocket plus now a Beemer sedan instead of a Honda. I try not to tell my kids what to do, for we all dislike that. I simply tell him that I had to learn how to slow down. He looks at me and smiles.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    LOL, Cokie! We all knew your speedometer has been off for quite some time! But then, as you say, so is everyone's!

    I know the type. I call them the Gearhead 4banger club. My son and a few nephews. Mufflers as loud as can be and mega-amp stereos. I can't tell which is louder! My God, these kids will be deaf before they're 35! On the other hand, the Led Zeppelin and other band concerts I attended didn't exactly help my hearing either.

    My son is more the "Top Gun" type. Just got out of the Navy, now going to school via the GI Bill. Proud of him, but what a speed demon! Crotch rocket plus now a Beemer sedan instead of a Honda. I try not to tell my kids what to do, for we all dislike that. I simply tell him that I had to learn how to slow down. He looks at me and smiles.


    Ohhh!! A BMW! My heart is set on a 2000 BMW 525i with a five speed manual transmission and 4WD with a black interior and exterior. Beautiful looking car! I'd love to work on one of those.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Bay Area
    Posts : 21,841
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64


    I Acknowledge the speed limit

    A Guy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Related Threads
56935 See image all 3 monitors are the same physical size (24''), but the middle one is a 4k monitor with DPI scaling on. So far everything is working MOSTLY correct (ok like 60% correct), except when moving the mouse between monitors, windows 8 still assumes the middle one is twice as...
Dear friends Could you help me figure out why it is that I have trouble browsing in high speed despite the fact that the wireless adapter receives data at 1 Mbps minimum? I haven't been able to watch videos on Youtube, read the news etc because the browser takes ages to load the full page. I...
Hi, Brink. I'm new to the forum, but I am already a fan of your work. I work at a large school district wherein computers running Win8 are shared by staff and students. How can I create a new account type (i.e. Student) and apply the fix above to limit what programs appear when students log on. I...
so i ran a speed test with several different website and they all said my download speed is between 5 Mbps and 8 Mbps : 34005 however when i actually download something my download speed stay at 1 Mbps or when i watch videos ( youtube ) :cry: i dnt have this problem with my phone ! thank u
RAM Limit on 64-bit Windows in Performance & Maintenance
Hey Guys I have got myself a new laptop recently with the following specs It's a HP Pavilion G6 2253SA Intel Core i5 3210M Intel HD 4000 Graphics up to 1.6GB shared graphic memory 6GB RAM DDR3 at 1600MHz 1TB HDD 5400RPM
Hi all; Good day, I would like to know how to boost the read/ write speed of my Hard Disk Drive. Someone told me about some innovation in Windows 8 such as Superfetch, Prefetch, Ready Boost, etc - something that is supposedly utilizing the idle capacity of your RAM/ SSD to boost the read/ write...
Hello everyone, I seem to have a problem at least i think i have a problem with my computer. The picture below is a picture of my computers information WHILE rendering a 3D-text object. I have done some research and cant seem to find a answer or im not sure what to do but i have gathered the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook