Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


BSOD atikmdag.sys system_thread_service_exception. 7970m.

  1. #1


    Posts : 11
    WINDOWS 8.1

    BSOD atikmdag.sys system_thread_service_exception. 7970m.


    Hi all,

    Really need some help with this.
    My Alienware M18X R2 laptop keeps getting this BSOD atikmdag.sys when the driver installs.
    I;ve tried the following:

    System restore
    Various drivers from both Dell/AMD site.
    Complete resintall of OS.
    CC cleaner.
    DDU uninstall for AMD drivers.

    What I've noticed is that the BSOD only happens when installing the driver on the second GPU
    The main card runs fine but to install the driver I have to do it via device manager and disable/uninstall the second GPU so that i can get the driver on without a BSOD.
    These are 7970m crossfire cards.

    I've attached the .dmp files so please any info on this would be great. I'm pretty much at my witts end here.

    Cheers.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2



    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Posts : 2,274
    Windows 10 Pro


    Hi STEVEN3108,

    Welcome to the 8forums.

    You mean you didn't install the drivers from your manufacturer Alienware?
    Laptop manufacturers alter their drivers in such a way that you're forced to only install their drivers. Other drivers won't function properly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 11
    WINDOWS 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by axe0 View Post
    Hi STEVEN3108,

    Welcome to the 8forums.

    You mean you didn't install the drivers from your manufacturer Alienware?
    Laptop manufacturers alter their drivers in such a way that you're forced to only install their drivers. Other drivers won't function properly.
    Sorry should of been clearer. I've tried drivers from both Dell (Alienware) & AMD and none of them have worked for me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4



    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Posts : 2,274
    Windows 10 Pro


    Try following below
    Please uninstall everything of AMD using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from your manufacturer. Be sure to use custom/advanced installation to ONLY install the drivers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 11
    WINDOWS 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by axe0 View Post
    Try following below
    Please uninstall everything of AMD using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from your manufacturer. Be sure to use custom/advanced installation to ONLY install the drivers.
    I've done this and still get a BSOD as soon as the driver begins to install onto the second graphics card.
    Could I have a faulty GPU?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6



    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Posts : 2,274
    Windows 10 Pro


    We can find that out by testing them



    BSOD atikmdag.sys system_thread_service_exception. 7970m. Diagnostic test BSOD atikmdag.sys system_thread_service_exception. 7970m.
    GPU TEST

    Run Furmark to test your GPU. Furmark tutorial

    Note   Note
    Run Furmark for around 30 minutes



    warning   Warning
    Your GPU temperatures will rise quickly while Furmark is running. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if temperatures rise too high
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 11
    WINDOWS 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by axe0 View Post
    We can find that out by testing them



    BSOD atikmdag.sys system_thread_service_exception. 7970m. Diagnostic test BSOD atikmdag.sys system_thread_service_exception. 7970m.
    GPU TEST

    Run Furmark to test your GPU. Furmark tutorial

    Note   Note
    Run Furmark for around 30 minutes



    warning   Warning
    Your GPU temperatures will rise quickly while Furmark is running. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if temperatures rise too high
    Will Furmark run on both GPUs as I have to disable the second one in device manager as it's the only way to ensure I don't get a BSOD?
    I guess there's nothing in my .DMP files that show if it could just be a driver clash?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8



    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Posts : 2,274
    Windows 10 Pro


    Furmark will only run on the one having drivers ready.

    The AMD video drivers have been flagged, but it doesn't mean the GPU isn't faulty.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 11
    WINDOWS 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by axe0 View Post
    Furmark will only run on the one having drivers ready.

    The AMD video drivers have been flagged, but it doesn't mean the GPU isn't faulty.
    Furmark ran fine but had to abort due to my GPU hitting 92 degress pretty hot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10



    BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst
    Posts : 2,274
    Windows 10 Pro


    Way too hot, what are you using your PC for?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
BSOD atikmdag.sys system_thread_service_exception. 7970m.
Related Threads
Always the same BSOD. Latest time when I was watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=183&v=bS5P_LAqiVg on Firefox. BSOD, PC reboots, I reopened the same url, play and ... same BSOD at the same time ! :shock:
atikmdag.sys BSOD's, HP AMD A8, Win 8.1 in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
hope I'm doing the right thing in starting another one of these threads instead of just tagging on to a pre-existing atikmdag thread. multiple BSOD's, varying intervals. no triggering event that i can figure out. appreciate any help you can proivide 59067
Solved Yet another atikmdag.sys BSOD... in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Dear Support Team, I am aware that there are a lot of topics around the WWW covering exactly this problem. And trust me, I already spent hours to lookup solutions. And I tried a lot. It's been a long time now that I need to create a case to get my problem fixed.So I was searching for the right...
Windows 8.1 Pro BSOD; (atikmdag.sys) in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
SF_10-09-2014 SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (atikmdag.sys) Hello! I recently upgraded my hard drive+fresh install and since I've experienced a couple BSoD errors. I believe both times the errors occurred I was watching some plugin-forced html5 youtube videos. Also every BSoD error...
hello dear please check my bsod my error on blue screen::system_thread_exception_not_handled(atikmdag.sys)
system BSODs fairly frequently, I think usually while watching youtube but sometimes when switching from remote desktop connection to local login. dump seems to point to graphics driver but I've tried updating a few times already. I have also tried the disk tests provided by the vendors, as well as...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook