Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Hang/Freeze update CPV

  1. #11


    I've been to that page, but the driver that I see is older than the one installed...
    Marvell Controller Driver V1.0.0.1045 for Windows XP/Vista/Win7 32bit&64bit(WHQL) --- 12/29/2010

    The installed driver is listed as Marvel 91xx SATA 6g controller, version 1.2.0.1019 --- 11/11/2011
    which I found elsewhere.

    Are these typical drivers for the intended functionality being pursued here, or are we talking about
    two different things?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by borgus View Post
    I've been to that page, but the driver that I see is older than the one installed...
    Marvell Controller Driver V1.0.0.1045 for Windows XP/Vista/Win7 32bit&64bit(WHQL) --- 12/29/2010

    The installed driver is listed as Marvel 91xx SATA 6g controller, version 1.2.0.1019 --- 11/11/2011
    which I found elsewhere.

    Are these typical drivers for the intended functionality being pursued here, or are we talking about
    two different things?
    I'm just going by what I see, same as before. In your opening, you claimed to have it installed, but yet this instead:

    Code:
    Name    Standard SATA AHCI Controller Manufacturer    Standard SATA AHCI Controller 
    Status   OK PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9120&SUBSYS_83BA1043&REV_12\4&3480BE95&0&00E6
    I/O Port    0x0000B090-0x0000B097
    I/O Port    0x0000B080-0x0000B083 
    I/O Port    0x0000B070-0x0000B077 
    I/O Port    0x0000B060-0x0000B063 I/O Port    
    0x0000B050-0x0000B05F Memory Address    0xFB215000-0xFB2157FF IRQ Channel    IRQ 18 
    Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\storahci.sys (6.2.8250.0, 70.30 KB (71,992 bytes), 2/17/2012 8:37 PM
    Maybe the one you've found doesn't have the proper hardware id and that's why it didn't install correctly.
    Either way regardless, you can type msinfo32 in the Start menu and then look there, for yourself. (Components | Storage | IDE)

    If it still shows like this instead of the Marvell driver, it's not installed yet.

    If it is installed, well how is it going now?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    The MSINFO32 file you have likely predates the installation of the Intel and Marvel drivers. Here's what it now lists...

    Name Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    Manufacturer (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_91A4&SUBSYS_91A41B4B&REV_12\4&3480BE95&0&01E6
    I/O Port 0x0000B040-0x0000B047
    I/O Port 0x0000B030-0x0000B033
    I/O Port 0x0000B020-0x0000B027
    I/O Port 0x0000B010-0x0000B013
    I/O Port 0x0000B000-0x0000B00F
    Memory Address 0xFB214000-0xFB21400F
    IRQ Channel IRQ 19
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\pciide.sys (6.2.8250.0, 13.80 KB (14,136 bytes), 2/17/2012 9:20 PM)

    Name ATA Channel 0
    Manufacturer (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID PCIIDE\IDECHANNEL\5&D32FE01&0&0
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys (6.2.8250.0, 26.80 KB (27,448 bytes), 2/17/2012 9:20 PM)

    Name ATA Channel 1
    Manufacturer (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID PCIIDE\IDECHANNEL\5&D32FE01&0&1
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys (6.2.8250.0, 26.80 KB (27,448 bytes), 2/17/2012 9:20 PM)

    Name Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
    Manufacturer Intel
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&FA
    I/O Port 0x0000F070-0x0000F077
    I/O Port 0x0000F060-0x0000F063
    I/O Port 0x0000F050-0x0000F057
    I/O Port 0x0000F040-0x0000F043
    I/O Port 0x0000F020-0x0000F03F
    Memory Address 0xFB505000-0xFB5057FF
    IRQ Channel IRQ 20
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\iastor.sys (10.0.0.1046, 427.02 KB (437,272 bytes), 9/13/2010 6:24 PM)

    I installed the Marvel driver that is on the Asus site that you linked, under the SATA category. As expected, it simply downgraded the existing driver by one year - back to version 1045. The Marvel drivers do not appear to show up in MSINFO 32. They are shown in Device Manager under STORAGE CONTROLLERS.

    However, the Intel Driver does show up in MSINFO32, as you can see. It is in Device Manager under the IDE/ATAPI controllers category. So it seems that the drivers you suggested are all installed, unless I have misunderstood.

    I note at the Asus site that a BIOS upgrade is available, but I am not going to mess with that. This box is less than a year old and it's doubtful, considering how W7 performs on the other drive - and how it performed on the SATA drive prior to W8 - that an update would be worth the risk.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by borgus View Post
    The MSINFO32 file you have likely predates the installation of the Intel and Marvel drivers. Here's what it now lists...

    Name Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    Manufacturer (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_91A4&SUBSYS_91A41B4B&REV_12\4&3480BE95&0&01E6
    I/O Port 0x0000B040-0x0000B047
    I/O Port 0x0000B030-0x0000B033
    I/O Port 0x0000B020-0x0000B027
    I/O Port 0x0000B010-0x0000B013
    I/O Port 0x0000B000-0x0000B00F
    Memory Address 0xFB214000-0xFB21400F
    IRQ Channel IRQ 19
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\pciide.sys (6.2.8250.0, 13.80 KB (14,136 bytes), 2/17/2012 9:20 PM)
    pciide.sys does not = mv91xx.sys

    Bios updates are always good to install, even if no issues exist at all, too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Afraid that you've lost me here. The Marvel driver downloaded from your ASUS link was this one...

    Version 1.0.0.1045
    Description Marvell Controller Driver V1.0.0.1045 for Windows XP/Vista/Win7 32bit&64bit(WHQL).
    File Size
    2,19 (MBytes) 2010.12.29 update

    It's an .exe, not an .inf, and installs itself to the STORAGE CONTROLLERS branch in Device Manager. I have no clue how to install it to the IDA/SATA branch, where the Intel controller is shown. I take it that they - the Marvel and the Intel controllers - serve different functions???

    Also, a bit off-topic, you might comment on how a BIOS update ROM file is installed. Getting late. ^_^
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by borgus View Post
    Afraid that you've lost me here. The Marvel driver downloaded from your ASUS link was this one...

    Version 1.0.0.1045
    Description Marvell Controller Driver V1.0.0.1045 for Windows XP/Vista/Win7 32bit&64bit(WHQL).
    File Size
    2,19 (MBytes) 2010.12.29 update

    It's an .exe
    No it's not. It's a .zip file. (Floppy64 download is all you need. Install that using the device manager. I extracted from the full zip download, also attached.)

    Attachment 5806
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    I was using the setup file in the install directory. That's the .exe referred to.

    In Device Manager, attempts to update either the Intel SATA/AHCI or the Standard PCI IDE (in the IDA/SATA branch) while pointing to the unzipped Floppy64 folder that contains the .inf results in "best driver already installed." Apparently I am not doing it correctly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by borgus View Post
    I was using the setup file in the install directory. That's the .exe referred to.

    In Device Manager, attempts to update either the Intel SATA/AHCI or the Standard PCI IDE (in the IDA/SATA branch) while pointing to the unzipped Floppy64 folder that contains the .inf results in "best driver already installed." Apparently I am not doing it correctly.
    Neither of those need or use the Marvell driver. Intel has already been set. The Marvell one needing the driver is likely in the Storage Controllers section of the Device Manager, but I can't say for sure because I don't have any Marvell. If you need further advice, just post a screenshot of Device Manager with IDE and Storage subsections maximized.

    To update the driver once you've found the correct one:

    Right click it. Choose Update driver software. Browse my computer.... Click the Browse button now and find the folder you extracted Floppy64 to. Click ok then click next and it will install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    As noted earlier, the latest Marvel driver (newer than the one you linked to) is already installed there. It doesn't show up in the MSINFO32 list.

    Any attempt to right-click the existing Marvel driver or the Intel driver and UPDATE (while pointing to the Floppy 64 folder) results in "best driver already installed."
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by borgus View Post
    As noted earlier, the latest Marvel driver (newer than the one you linked to) is already installed there. It doesn't show up in the MSINFO32 list.

    Any attempt to right-click the existing Marvel driver or the Intel driver and UPDATE (while pointing to the Floppy 64 folder) results in "best driver already installed."
    Can you do me (us) a favor and right click on that Marvell as in your screenshot. Choose Properties then Driver tab. Click Driver details button and then please post a screenshot.

    If necessary, then I'll instruct how to install the driver from the specific .inf file, instead.

    Ya didn't answer though - how is the machine going lately, anyhow?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hang/Freeze update CPV
Related Threads
Windows 7/8.1 hang/lag in General Support
Toshiba Satellite A505 S6980. Windows 7 was starting to have issues. It would hesitate/hang when I went to type something, open a browser window, right-clicking, selecting an email in Thunderbird, etc. Task manager showed the disk going from 5% to 100% all the time, up and down, within the...
I've been struggling with my PC for a few weeks now, and everything I've done to fix it seems to make it worse. First things were just hanging, sometimes with a notice of "Not Responding", but often with no error message at all. (Noticed first on Secunia PSI, Outlook 2010, and Firefox) Windows...
Win 8 Hang in General Support
Hi guys, I installed Utorrent on my win8 laptop. After that found that it keep on hang n very slow. Takes so long for me to uninstall the program. The problem is my laptop still hangs even though I uninstall it. Tried to reboot my laptop few times but it still hang. Any advice ? Thanks
Random Freeze/Hang/Lag in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi, I upgraded my laptop from Win 7 Home Premium x64 to Win 8 Pro x64. I am an university student so had to do it as my course required me too. I never had any errors or any bugs while using Win 7, so I assume that mean my hardware is not defective. But Win 8 in beginning crashed a lot to...
First time poster, so I appreciate any help that can be offered, as I have an annoying problem - I installed Windows 8 on Jan 28 and finally got my computer back to *just* the way I like it about a week later. Since then, I have had random freezes/reboots (no blue screens of death) every couple of...
Windows 8 Enterprise N x86 Windows update freeze in Windows Updates & Activation
Hi guys. I have a problem with Windows 8 Enterprise N x86. When i go to Control Panel\System and Security and click on Windows update that window just freeze. I cant shut it down so i have to restart explorer. System restore didn't helped. Is there any solution for that cause i cant update...
Hang ---> corruption in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
While playing audio, using either WMP or MPC, the system may hang, with a reboot the only option. This can occur after just minutes, or hours. It's then evident that the NTFS is corrupt on both the SATA drive (Win 8) and an SSD drive (W7) - all partitions. CHKDSK /f fires up. Otherwise the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook