Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Problems with CBS.log file (within command prompt)

  1. #1


    Posts : 17
    windows 8.1

    Problems with CBS.log file (within command prompt)


    i just ran sfc scannow, it said "windows found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I then restarted and ran "Dism health" command then it said “the restore operation was finished successfully. the component store corruption was repaired. The operation completed successfully.” I then restarted and ran sfc scan now and it said “windows found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them” again. I then looked online and found out how to find the CBS log file in notepad. I then typed in CTRL+F (to find) and found “cannot repair”. The link to the CBS log is " https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5vopkawl6ghjia/CBS.zip?dl=0 ". I have also tried manually replacing the corrupted system file with a known good copy of the file using this link (" https://support.microsoft.com/KB/929...in1.0#manually repair "). That worked and said it completed the steps, i then ran sfc scannow again and it said "windows found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them".

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    sfc sometimes requires multiple run until it succeeds. However, before running sfc. I suggest that you run from Admin command prompt: chkdsk c: /r to make sure that your HD is not corrupted or having any bad sectors. This process will take a while to complete and sometimes will stall at certain spot for hours. You just have to be patient.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,288
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    See this page at Tech Support forum. Read thru and towards the bottom(about 3/4 the way) there is a program called SFCFix.exe by niemiro you can download. It's helped me before, so I recommend you give it a try, and save it to documents or where ever for future use...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    See this page at Tech Support forum. Read thru and towards the bottom(about 3/4 the way) there is a program called SFCFix.exe by niemiro you can download. It's helped me before, so I recommend you give it a try, and save it to documents or where ever for future use...
    Please read the warning on that thread before you suggest the OP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,288
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    The SFCFix tool has been recommended in other forums and I've used too. It's the same type of warning that you get when using multiple tools to clean out malware. But this tool doesn't get everything only certain corrupt files. But it does make a better log than the CBS log also when it can't fix something.
    Last edited by Cliff S; 09 Dec 2014 at 06:26.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    The SFCFix tool has been recommended in other forums and I've used too. It's the same type of warning that you get when using multiple tools to clean out malware. But this tool doesn't get everything only certain corrupt files. But it does make a better log than the CBS log also when it can't fix something.
    Yes, I am familiar with this tool. There are 2 things that the tool processes:
    1. You'd need a ZIP file to feed into sfcfix.exe that contains a valid file to replace the corrupted file and since OP has his Windows with British version. Where would you get the file to replace it ? in his CBS.log, the corrupted file is: tzres.dll.mui. That's why they give you the Warning that only applies to that specific problem in that thread.
    2. sfcfix.exe then run dism to ensure the component store is not corrupted.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,288
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    The SFCFix tool has been recommended in other forums and I've used too. It's the same type of warning that you get when using multiple tools to clean out malware. But this tool doesn't get everything only certain corrupt files. But it does make a better log than the CBS log also when it can't fix something.
    Yes, I am familiar with this tool. There are 2 things that the tool processes:
    1. You'd need a ZIP file to feed into sfcfix.exe that contains a valid file to replace the corrupted file and since OP has his Windows with British version. Where would you get the file to replace it ? in his CBS.log, the corrupted file is: tzres.dll.mui. That's why they give you the Warning that only applies to that specific problem in that thread.
    2. sfcfix.exe then run dism to ensure the component store is not corrupted.
    Ahh, I get it now! I was just lucky it worked for me, because I found it when I was researching for the same problem that niemiro was helping a guy with. OK thanks for the info, I'll move it out of my "when all else fails" folder and give it the title for the problem it repairs. Again thanks for bringing this to my attention.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Ahh, I get it now! I was just lucky it worked for me, because I found it when I was researching for the same problem that niemiro was helping a guy with. OK thanks for the info, I'll move it out of my "when all else fails" folder and give it the title for the problem it repairs. Again thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    I guess the reason it worked for you because the 2nd part of the tool, it ran DISM to fix any corrupted component store for SFC to run successfully. However, SFC sometimes requires to be run multiple times due to whether the corrupted file currently being used & locked then you'd need to re-run it until it is successfully fixed the corrupted system file.

    Cheers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Problems with CBS.log file (within command prompt)
Related Threads
Command prompt flashed once in General Support
Hello, While typing up an assignment, I just barely noticed that command prompt opened and then closed for a fraction of a second. I am extremely cautious with the files I download, and instantly performed a scan with malwarebytes. It detected nothing, so I performed a second scan with...
no log in password to use for 'command prompt' in User Accounts and Family Safety
all of a sudden my HP 9200 notebook w/windows 8 went into an 'automatic repair' that failed.... can't use 'refresh' because I don't have password to use with my log in name..... can't use command prompt for that same reason.....i am a 63yr old 'amateur' pc person..... am communicating now by...
Command Prompt help in General Support
The average monitor can display 25 lines of text in full screen mode. When you list a directory containing more than 25 files, some of the filenames disappear off the top of the screen before you have a chance to read them. What do you add to the DIR command to always prevent this?
Hi, I often format my laptop and uses virtual machine as well. So I had a batch (.bat) file to change all windows setting through registry. This batch file also changes command prompt screen size, buffer size and quick edit mode. However this does not work on Windows 8 command prompt setting. ...
Solved elevated command prompt...huh? in General Support
how do I open an elevated command prompt?
Command Prompt crashes in General Support
Hi After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 everything seems to works fine except when I want to run command line applications from 3rd party programs. When this is happening the Windows 8 command prompt just stop working. I have to use many programs based on command prompt for web developing...
I want to enable Safe Mode in my Laptop and to do that I need to run Command Prompt as an administrator. But when I right click on command Prompt and select Run as Administrator, nothing happens. I tried this about 5 times with no results. Please help me! :)
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook