Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Very strange problem - Windows 8 error has broken my dual boot laptop

  1. #11


    I've forgotten to comment on your first post.

    First, you say:
    Quote Originally Posted by aidyd View Post
    In desperate need of some help here, any advice massively appreciated - I installed windows 8 as dual boot alongside windows 7 on my laptop, (dev build) and having played with it for awhile decided to delete off my hard-drive...
    and then you say

    Quote Originally Posted by aidyd View Post
    The hard-drive is empty!! I cant do anything and the harddrive is a clean slate I dont understand how windows 8 has completely messed up the harddrive..
    If you did delete it from your hard drive, rather than to uninstall it, that is what cause your problems. Never, ever delete any program. You should always uninstall it.

    You see, if you delete it, that leaves the registry cluttered with entries for that program, and that screws up the performance of Windows--and could even disable it completely. That's because each time Windows starts, it'll be looking for the program files, but it won't find them--because you've deleted them. Then the processor doesn't know what to do, so it freezes the computer. What you've done is to delete an entire OS, so that wouldn't affect the registry, but obviously, it has affected the MBR, and so bad that you couldn't access your hard drive.

    I believe that had you uninstalled Windows 8, none of this would have happened.

    A good uninstallation program which is better than the Windows "Programs and Features" is Revo Uninstaller, which you can find at Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems. The free edition is excellent because it catches registry entries and files that are left behind with the program's uninstall program. The one you pay for (after a free 30-day trial) is even better, because you can use it to install your programs, and it'll make a record of everything that goes onto your laptop during istallation, and it's supposedly a one-click uninstallation, but clicking on the icon it makes. However, I prefer to start the uninstallation from the program's icon, and then come back to the "one-click" icon and use that to make sure that everything is gone. Maybe my method is unneeded double-work, but I just want to be sure.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 5,139
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!


    For ordering Recovery Disks in the USA:
    Order Recovery Discs (USA)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/navShell.jsp?cf=su_contact


    For recovery discs, it would be best to buy them directly from the manufacturer.

    You never know what you would get from a private person.

    I've been burned before with a bootleg version of Windows and had to scrap it and buy a genuine copy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,139
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!


    Well BlackBart2012 - since you know so much more than I do, I'll leave this to you.

    First you tell aidyd to ignore my advice - then you give him the same advice as option 2.

    Also, you didn't bother to look at the link that I gave before criticizing me again. Just FYI - the link points to a phone number for Toshiba. It's on my website and I keep it there for just these sort of circumstances.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Quote Originally Posted by usasma View Post
    Well BlackBart2012 - since you know so much more than I do, I'll leave this to you.

    First you tell aidyd to ignore my advice - then you give him the same advice as option 2.

    Also, you didn't bother to look at the link that I gave before criticizing me again. Just FYI - the link points to a phone number for Toshiba. It's on my website and I keep it there for just these sort of circumstances.
    Would you please tell me in what post did I say, "Ignore usasma's advice". Where did I criticize you? Where did I say anything about you? In what post?

    And what else are you talking about? Are you talking about that order form to order the recovery discs from John Carrona, who not only sells recovery discs for Toshiba computers but for Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway/eMachines/Acer, Sony, IBM/Lenovo, ASUS, and Samsung? I did notice that the number for Toshiba is the same 1-800 number that is listed on their website, but still, I don't know who John Carrona is, and I was just saying that it's best to buy directly from Toshiba. Had you simply made a post that said,
    Quote Originally Posted by usasma View Post
    Toshiba's Customer Service Number is (800) 457-7777 (toll-free) or (949) 859-4273
    I would have left it alone. Instead, you sent that order form to order them through John Carrona.

    I wasn't criticizing you! Do you want me to?

    Nowadays, it's never a good idea to use Kill Disk on your computer's hard drive. It wipes the entire disk clean! The entire disk! That means that even the hidden partition, with all of the vital information is scrubbed!

    Back in the old days, when the manufacturer's used to deliver REAL Windows installation discs, and REAL CDs for all the other software. So back then, it was OK to use Kill Disk and start over. Not now! Now it's only good for external hard drives.

    The average user doesn't make the recovery DVDs, like he's supposed to, because he doesn't understand how valuable his hidden partition is, and then he would take your advice and wipe the disk clean. Then he's stuck right where aidyd is now, with his drivers not working (because there ARE no drivers on a newly bought Windows DVD because it's not specially made for his computer) and wondering what to do. Then what do you tell him? Do you say, "Ahh! Gee! Now you need to buy some recovery discs from this order form!"

    Even if you have a user who says, "I want to sell my computer [or laptop]" and wants to know how to get rid of his personal informaton, it's bad advice to tell him to use Kill Disk. How is he going to sell the thing if Windows isn't installed? and properly installed? The best advice is to tell him to use his "Factory Settings Recovery" and that would wipe the disK clean! If you still want to feel safe, then you tell them to run something like CCleaner Tools|Wipe for each of the partitions (except, of course, the hidden ones) to make sure they are wiped clean--but on the C:\ drive, use it on just the empty space.

    Nowhere did I criticize you! You left the conversation. After my first post, I waited for a couple hours and when he didn't reply yet, I walked away. Then several hours later, when I checked my e-mail, I found that he had made 3 posts, each spaced about an hour apart, and yet, you didn't respond. Then, since you didn't respond to him, I did.

    He didn't follow my advice and did what you told him to do, so what I told him was really to follow the rest of your advice. I told him to obtain a copy of the recovery disks from Toshiba. You responded by giving him an order form to order them from John Carrona, so I responded with a link to the actual Toshiba website. I did not criticize you! I simply said that it is better to buy it directly from Toshiba!

    If the "bootrec" thing didn't work, which he says it didn't, my next step would have been to tell him to put the hard drive back into his laptop (so he won't mess up his friend's laptop) and re-install Windows 8 --and then uninstall it, rather than to delete it. I feel that that would have gotten it out of his MBR and it would have unlocked his hard disk. If he couldn't do that, because maybe he didn't have an actual installation disk, but it was a link from Microsoft Downloads, then I would have told him to leave the heard disk in his friend's laptop (as a slave) and install it and then uninstall it (the way he should have done in the first place) and hope it doesn't screw up his friend's laptop (which I don't think it would, but there is always that possibility).

    Once he was to get Windows 8 off of his hard disk, I was going to tell him to use his Windows 7 installation disk to install Windows--just to get it working so he could access his hidden partition. Then he could unhide it, using "Disk Management" to unhide it, and to look for the exe file that would start the process--and then run it.

    That was my strategy.

    Your advice was to wipe the entire disk clean so he can not use the hidden partition because it is no longer there to use. And then you say, "Here's an order form to order your recovery CDs".

    Which is better advice? Mine wouldn't have cost him any money, had he only followed my advice! With your advice, he needs to buy a set of recovery CDs.

    Look. He is gone now. It's been hours and hours since he made his last post. It was made over 18 hours ago. It doesn't look like he is coming back. And since he did what you told him to do, and used Kill Disk, even though I warned him not to, I was going to ignore any further requests anyway, because now I don't know what to tell him--except to go to Toshiba and order those disks -- OR to download those drivers himself and to buy Acronis to make an Acronis Secure Zone as a replacement hidden partition. I've already said that, and I'm out of gas.

    He followed your advice. Now I'm waiting to see what further advice you give him, since you're the expert.

    You see, since he followed your advice, he's lost his hidden partition, and used a store-bought Windows 7 DVD and now he's frustrated because he followed your advice and you didn't warn him that if he does follow your advice then he wouldn't have the necessary drivers and utilities -- or even the hidden partition, so now he's frustrated and he's at another website where he asking for help from someone who knows what they're talking about. It's either him or someone else with the same problem. Just read his last post. He ended with "Fed up with this".

    I'm stepping aside now. OK?
    Last edited by BlackBart2012; 06 Mar 2012 at 17:02.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Hey just to let you know all fixed here now finally, was very strange problem for me, but currently have ubuntu and windows 7 on dual boot with 3 partitions on hdd.

    Had to download all the drivers needed from the toshiba site, through a friends laptop, then transfer via cd, to get lan drivers etc, around 44 total, took awhile, and I certainly learnt the importance in time consumption that having recovery discs has.

    Basically it wasnt installing windows 7 due to a poor burn, so I re-did it and it worked fine!

    The main thing from this (apart from recovery) is how ridiculous the windows 8 error/bootloader was.. It wouldnt let me use any key commands or access bios, or reset laptop to factory settings (even though function was designed for situations like mine) and as I couldnt change boot order that just left me dead.

    Somehow pressing ESC, F1, F8 and 8 confused the laptop when booting and caused it to reset, giving just enough time to see the boot order option.

    Thank you for all the help really appreciate it, was alot of trial and error but saved myself 50 in the end! Now to get back to essays...

    Basically i installed ubuntu after my last post i think, spent an hour trying to figure out how to even use it, and try to use a partition manager, didnt work, w7 install disc was telling me 'device drivers missing cannot install', but eventually I re-burnt a copy of w7 and it went through ok.

    Sounds fairly simple, but took me days to sort out... Girlfriend was getting fed up of me and my tinkering but all good now, really appreciate the advice on offer, wouldnt of fixed it had I not posted in this thread for sure.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    A bit late, but why not. YOU could press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then press the computers power switch. When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen would of appeared. BUT that was way before you did any of the other things listed, and if you hadn't removed your recovery partition originally.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Ah I tried that, holding zero key whilst powering on, also whilst powering off.. Was strange as alot of people/soloutions are around on google but I just couldnt get any commands to work on laptop, this was before I removed recovery partition, which must of had the windows 8 boot gui saved on it, blocking me from doing anything, including a clean install, bootrec and other console commands, supergrub 2 style bootable discs (as wouldnt let me change boot order) just straight to this error message.

    May be of help to others who chance upon this thread though
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    OK I have tested this on that model Toshiba laptop. YOU cannot release the 0 (zero) and the key you use is the 0 (zero) on the top of the keyboard, NOT the numeric pad's 0 (zero). THE computer MUST boot first before you take your finger off of the 0 (zero). This keyboard command WORKS on all Toshiba brands it is built into the ROM (read only memory).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Quote Originally Posted by aidyd View Post
    Had to download all the drivers needed from the toshiba site, through a friends laptop, then transfer via cd, to get lan drivers etc, around 44 total, took awhile, and I certainly learnt the importance in time consumption that having recovery discs has.
    And you still need to buy a set of recovery disks so you can replace the recovery partition.
    Without it, you would not be able to make a set of recovery disks or do a windows backup, and I've read somewhere that System Restore may not work, nor would you be able to make a Windows Repair disk, because all the information is stored in that hidden partition.

    When you buy your recovery disks, the only way to rebuild that partition is to use them to do a factory settings recovery--which would, in essence, be re-installing Windows all over again, and you may even have to type in the Windows Serial Number, which should be on a sticker on the underside of your laptop, and then go through the activation process.

    When you have that completed, I would suggest that when it asks you to burn a set of recovery DVDs, that you do so, even though you will have had the set that you have had to buy, because the new set would (or at least, should) have everything on it, so you won't have to go through that Windows activation process again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Very strange problem - Windows 8 error has broken my dual boot laptop
Related Threads
Whenever I press the power key, the screen lights up with "matrix" like screen. Then whatevery key I press it reboots. Please help I can't see what's happening because the laptop screen is broken.
Hi I have a sony vaio vpcyb3v1e. I have windows 8.1 installed and i tried using a bootable usb to install as multi boot, the xp black edition on a separate partition. After doing that i couldn't be able to login in the windows 8.1 OS. I got the message Load needed DLLS for kernel. Any help?
Solved Windows 7 & 8 Dual Boot Problem in Installation & Setup
When booting and given the option to load windows 8 (consumer preview) or windows 7 and selecting windows 7 it loads saying " preparing automatic repair" system recovery options menu is followed shortly after this. Windows 8 loads fine and was installed on a second partition created in windows 7...
Hi all, I set up a dual boot installation with Windows 7 and Windows 8. But I have a problem when booting into Windows 7. Pls, help me. 14315 14316 14317
Windows 8 i 7 dual boot problem in Installation & Setup
I have windows 7 installed on the C partition then i installed windows 8 on the D partition.When i startup my PC i get the boot window where i can choose between win 7 and win 8 when i pick win 7 automatic repair starts and i cant enter win 7.Windows 8 starts normally... Does anyone knows how to...
Hello all, The day the Windows 8 consumer preview came out I installed Windows 8 on a 40GB partition, dual-boot setup with my current Windows 7. Everything was peachy, until Windows 8 started to run slowly and I discovered I'd installed some incompatible programs and drivers. So I used Windows...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook