Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


BSOD every few days, multiple error msgs

  1. #1


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

    BSOD every few days, multiple error msgs


    Hey there --

    I'm having repeated BSOD events, every few days, and am having a devil of a time pinning anything down. The error codes may come up as BAD POOL CALLER, or SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION, or PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA. Those are the three I've seen multiple times. WhoCrashed gives plain-English explanations, but they're extremely general, and of little value to me. (i.e., "This is most likely a bad driver and not a hardware problem... the error occurred in the kernel..." DUH!) I've tried BlueScreenView, but I honestly don't have a clue how to begin with all that detailed information, and I could use some more expert help. (The upload is from the SF tool.)

    There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when it happens, I've been surfing the net when it crashes, and I've sat down in the morning to find that it crashed overnight. Oddly enough, it has NOT crashed when I've been in the middle of anything intensive, like photo editing or manipulating music files.

    The motherboard I'm working on is an Asus M3A-78CM, an older AMD AM2+ board with DDR2 memory, and I'm already aware of some driver issues with Win 8, particularly the VIA audio drivers, which are being worked around with some generic ones from nVidia. There is also a scanner attached which has no 64-bit drivers for it, but I have that disabled. And there is a quirky printer which seems to have a love/hate relationship with my system. Other than that, everything performs VERY well... except for these blue screens. Any help will be appreciated!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

    another one...


    I'll just upload these as they happen. This particular blue screen came as I was trying to compose an email.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Your last 3 BSOD's were caused by splwow64.exe. Splwow64.exe is a Windows core system file. The program runs in the background and is not normally visible to allow 32-bit applications to connect with the 64-bit printer spooler service on x64 Windows builds and is started by the parent process spoolsv.exe.

    Having said that, If this file is corrupted then BSOD might occur. So I suggest:
    1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS updated.
    2. Temporary disconnect your printer.
    3. Open the elevated command prompt and run:
      dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4. Next, run:
      sfc /scannow
    5. Use Windows as normal to see if BSOD occurs again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Your last 3 BSOD's were caused by splwow64.exe. Splwow64.exe is a Windows core system file. The program runs in the background and is not normally visible to allow 32-bit applications to connect with the 64-bit printer spooler service on x64 Windows builds and is started by the parent process spoolsv.exe.

    Having said that, If this file is corrupted then BSOD might occur. So I suggest:
    1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS updated.
    2. Temporary disconnect your printer.
    3. Open the elevated command prompt and run:
      dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4. Next, run:
      sfc /scannow
    5. Use Windows as normal to see if BSOD occurs again.
    Thanks! Ran both of those this morning. The first operation completed with a message that the "store corruption" had been repaired. The second part completed and came back saying there were no "access violations", or some such thing. We'll see how it pans out, and I'll keep you posted.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

    ...again


    Unfortunately, it just gave me another BSOD. All I had done was plug in the printer (first time after this morning's command-prompt work), print a shipping label, close my browser, and walk away. When I came back, it had restarted.

    This time, the dump will be a little different, I tried switching it to "kernel dump" this morning, to see if that would give us more information, if and when it happened again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit

    ...and again...


    Another one this evening. Again, I had printed something, noticed the printer icon was stuck in the tray, and went to refresh it, when I got a BSOD. I think you're on the right track that it has something to do with the 64-bit print spooler, but what we tried the first time obviously did not fix the problem. I'm going to escalate the debugging options to "Complete Memory Dump", in hopes that will help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    As indicated in my previous post. This might have something to do with your printer. You might want to check if there's an updated driver for your printer.

    In the mean time, unplug your printer, open services and disable the "Print Spooler" for now to see if you get BSOD again.
    Please report back.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit


    Ok, I have it unplugged and the print spooler disabled temporarily. We'll see what happens.

    I have tried updating the printer drivers recently, but unfortunately what I have is the latest there is for this printer. It's an HP inkjet, and I've gotten rid of all the HP bloatware I could find, just running it with the barebones drivers. But I wouldn't have thought the hardware could cause such problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Quote Originally Posted by DJRoff View Post
    Ok, I have it unplugged and the print spooler disabled temporarily. We'll see what happens.

    I have tried updating the printer drivers recently, but unfortunately what I have is the latest there is for this printer. It's an HP inkjet, and I've gotten rid of all the HP bloatware I could find, just running it with the barebones drivers. But I wouldn't have thought the hardware could cause such problems.
    BSOD can happen due to:
    1. Loose Cables
    2. Defective Hardware
    3. Incompatible Software
    4. Drivers software
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Delaware, USA
    Posts : 79
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJRoff View Post
    Ok, I have it unplugged and the print spooler disabled temporarily. We'll see what happens.

    I have tried updating the printer drivers recently, but unfortunately what I have is the latest there is for this printer. It's an HP inkjet, and I've gotten rid of all the HP bloatware I could find, just running it with the barebones drivers. But I wouldn't have thought the hardware could cause such problems.
    BSOD can happen due to:
    1. Loose Cables
    2. Defective Hardware
    3. Incompatible Software
    4. Drivers software
    ...in short, just about anything! That's why I'm enlisting your aid, here. It's not very helpful when an "analysis" program tells you the trouble is "probably with a faulty driver", but not what that driver is... since the average system has literally hundreds of them.

    The printer I'm using has always been trouble, in one form or another -- it came from where I work, where it was "retired" due to repeated instances of not getting along with the Windows 7 machine there. But it seemed to work most of the time for me at home, so I've continued to use it. But if it's the source of my BSOD troubles, I have no problem giving it the heave-ho. (No BSODs since yesterday, btw, so far so good.)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSOD every few days, multiple error msgs
Related Threads
Multiple BSOD's during last 2 days in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi, I'm having issues with my laptop, couple mouth ago HDD crashed so i had to buy new one after that i started to having BSOD once a week of so, but yesterday i had multiple BSODs. I hope that you can help me with this problem.
My Acer laptop is almost a year old and just a few days ago it got it's first BSOD. After it happened again a few hours later, I did some research and ran a disk check. Eventually it finished and restarted and didn't crash again until today. I've gotten a BSOD three times in the past 5 hours and...
Multiple BSOD with different error messages in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hey there, a few days ago I received a supposedly Manufacturer Refurbished HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC that I bought on Ebay. Since then, I've had multiple different BSOD errors while performing different tasks or even when doing nothing. Drivers seem to be updated and I'm concerned that this...
BSOD's with multiple different error codes in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi, I seem to get 1 BSOD each day I use my computer for more than an hour or two. MSI GT70 2OD Intel i7 4700mq Intel HD4600 and Nvidia GTX780m I have been told previously that the BSOD's i get have been graphics driver related. I have basically been going through every different driver I...
Extremely frustrated with what has been happening with my system lately. I had BSODs happen occasionally but now they are happening like 3-6 times per day, sometimes back-to-back. The list of error messages I've recorded for the ones that happened while sitting at my desk are: ...
BSOD different error msgs in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hello all, I have been getting BSODs on my computer for a couple months now. It's more frequent as of late, can you please assist. Dump is attached
BSOD with multiple error codes in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I cleaned an older system for Windows 8 and I've had error codes like dpc watchdog memory management system service exception (win32k.sys) VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys) I've attached 2 Minidumps... I can't run the SF_Diagnostic_Tool.exe because it will have another error when I run.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook