Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Outlook.com VS The rest

View Poll Results: Need a new mail account?? Which service provider will you opt for?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Outlook.com

    8 47.06%
  • Google (Gmail)

    6 35.29%
  • Yahoo Mail

    0 0%
  • Any other

    3 17.65%
  1. #11


    Posts : 4
    Win 8 Pro


    Based on my experience with our customers that use it, outlook.com is good--especially for Win 8 users. I expect it will only get better.

    Downside is that it is confused with Outlook the program, which most people (who haven't had to use it in the corporate world) want nothing to do with. Contacts turned into People: confusing and very annoying if you don't already know to click the ^. Also the contacts import is pathetic for a company that has had good importing capabilities for 20 years.

    The advertising isn't as bad as gmail. Will there be a (paid) version without ads?

    The biggest negative is support. Most people I deal with will pay a few bucks for one of the email services with highly responsive (including phone) support.

    And I highly agree with the suggestion to get/use your own domain for your email.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Palm Coast FLorida
    Posts : 370
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)


    The best email client is windows essential 2012 live mail (free download), i have added all my accounts to it, yahoo (pop), private (imap), hotmail and live, it all runs perfect.

    fully integrates in windows 8 and the client comes with calendar, rss feeds and more, top notch all the way.

    get windows essential 2012 pack here: Windows Essentials: Other Programs
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 4
    Win 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
    The best email client is windows essential 2012 live mail (free download), i have added all my accounts to it, yahoo (pop), private (imap), hotmail and live, it all runs perfect.
    Yes but the distinction is web based email versus email client, e.g., Essentials does not run on Android...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    I've been with GMail and RoadRunner too long to switch now. Too many people would have to be notified.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 4
    Win 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    I've been with GMail and RoadRunner too long to switch now. Too many people would have to be notified.
    Indeed. Everyone feels this way. And yet, my customers who do the change universally say that it wasn't so bad. You do want to keep the old address around for a long while to catch the stragglers (the ones you want!).

    The case where you absolutely do not want to change email address is a business with a lot invested in advertising the address. That is why, for a business, you must get your own domain. It is also well worthwhile for an individual/family. And you can still use outlook.com as your interface to that email.

    But if you do not have your own domain name, then for many reasons I think it is better to have an outlook.com address than gmail.com or the others that are well known and also used by the less reputable.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    hard to reply to the survey, I use Hotmail, Gmail, Coprporate email, but from Outlook ( the real outlook office apps)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Peter PC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    I've been with GMail and RoadRunner too long to switch now. Too many people would have to be notified.
    Indeed. Everyone feels this way. And yet, my customers who do the change universally say that it wasn't so bad. You do want to keep the old address around for a long while to catch the stragglers (the ones you want!).

    The case where you absolutely do not want to change email address is a business with a lot invested in advertising the address. That is why, for a business, you must get your own domain. It is also well worthwhile for an individual/family. And you can still use outlook.com as your interface to that email.

    But if you do not have your own domain name, then for many reasons I think it is better to have an outlook.com address than gmail.com or the others that are well known and also used by the less reputable.
    I managed to get both my GMail and RoadRunner e-mail names with my real name, no numbers or anything else so they're really simple for someone to remember. They just work so I leave 'em alone. I do have an Outlook.COM e-mail address (through my old hotmail address) but I just haven't gotten 'round to it yet.

    Update: I was able to rename my Hotmail address to the Outlook domain without changing the name so that was easy enough! Maybe I'll start using that instead of GMail.


    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 4
    Win 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Update: I was able to rename my Hotmail address to the Outlook domain without changing the name so that was easy enough! Maybe I'll start using that instead of GMail.
    -Max
    Another benefit: all those addresses that you wanted but were taken on other domains may still be available at outlook.com! Get yours now!

    It will be interesting to see how outlook.com evolves. Maybe they will make it more universally useful and go after the good things about gmail without the... not so good things (privacy).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Outlook.com VS The rest
Related Threads
1 day i woke up and my computer was off when i turned it on it gave me the select proper boot device ect. Screen i been searching for solutions none have worked for me and what makes it harder is in the bios my 1st boot option is windows boot manager i cant select my hard drive idk whats going on...
Hi everybody, my first post. Have a problem. Your pc ran into a problem that forced it to restart. - this is a message that pops up when it restarts after closing the lid (it should go to sleep). Next message pops up every time I turn my laptop on, after shutting it down. Catalyst...
Hi there. I don't know how many have seen the first part of Virginia Rolf's excellent trilogy starting with DIVERGENT. Shows how a "dystopian" soceity which in theory *could* work is deeply flawed and goes wrong. The Book trilogy is brilliant ( the parts are 1) DIVERGENT, 2) INSURGANT 3)...
I have been using AVG Free, and doing a full scan once a week. I found out that Win 8 has Win Defender, in which they combined MSSE, and it does real-time protection, which I thought was great, so I switched. I had tried MSSE with Win XP, but it was so slow, it took like 3 hours to scan my...
Got a mates computer that would not boot normally, so button mashed f8 to bring up safe mode, uninstalled the crap, ran an antivirus and checked for registry errors with an outdated reg cleaner, there were heaps of errors which I could do nothing about as I had no internet at the time, so I decided...
I am so confused about where outlook 2013 keeps things. I have installed Outlook 2013 and would like to import my contacts from my outlook 2007 in another computer. I have already prepared the contacts.pst file from outlook 2007 and made it available in my public folders. I then imported the...
With this little program called Metro Controller you can disable the Metro but will still have ribbon, task mgr and the rest.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook