Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Popups Enabled

  1. #1


    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC

    Popups Enabled


    This morning I turned on my machine and everything seemed fine until I started the Internet Explorer. I got Pop-Ups all over the screen, I was told Pop-ups had been enabled and that to disable them to call some number. I had to use the task manager to shut down the Internet Explorer. I decided to try Firefox and it had the same problems.

    I got rid of these problems by doing a system restore followed by a complete scan of my system.. The scan did not find any problem.

    I have been trying to figure out what caused this problem because I don't want a repeat. The only thing I did was to install a PCE Wi-Fi card and the driver was downloaded from ASUS. I just scanned that directory again and nothing was found.

    Anyone know what caused this Pop-up problem? (I don't believe in Gremlins. )

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Malware,adware, spyware you might of got rid of it with a restore.

    What do you use, Windows Firewall ? What Anti-Virus ?

    Run MRT.EXE at admin command prompt full scan not quick scan.
    Run https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
    Last edited by derekimo; 29 Jun 2015 at 19:51. Reason: Adblocking discussion removed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC


    Restore seemed to work for a short time then it was back to crazy IE popups. I tried to uninstall strange programs that I did not recognize and they uninstalled but a short time after a reboot they were back. :-( I was using Windows defender and I guess I need to retire it.

    I installed and ran the antimalware program you suggested and it found about 42 problems which are now quarantined. They all came from the same vendor, name starts with PUP.Optional... So far so good. I will give it a day and then mark this thread as solved.

    Thanks for the suggestion.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Welcome, Malwarebytes is good, try MRT.exe too. Keep Malwarebytes and run it regularly with having Windows Defender, if can not afford get another AV. 42 that's a lot, be more careful surfing internet what you click on.

    Only 2 things, malware or see here https://www.google.com/search?q=PUP....utf-8&oe=utf-8
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Malware,adware, spyware you might of got rid of it with a restore.

    What do you use, Windows Firewall ? What Anti-Virus ?

    Run MRT.EXE at admin command prompt full scan not quick scan.
    Run https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
    Just a little reminder,

    14) No ad blocking discussions. This site depends on ads to pay for the costs of running and maintaining it.
    Forum Rules - Please Read!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Malware,adware, spyware you might of got rid of it with a restore.

    What do you use, Windows Firewall ? What Anti-Virus ?

    Run MRT.EXE at admin command prompt full scan not quick scan.
    Run https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
    Just a little reminder,

    14) No ad blocking discussions. This site depends on ads to pay for the costs of running and maintaining it.
    Forum Rules - Please Read!
    Thanks did not remember that rule. OP most likely due to adware, browser hijacker.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Welcome, Malwarebytes is good, try MRT.exe too. Keep Malwarebytes and run it regularly with having Windows Defender, if can not afford get another AV. 42 that's a lot, be more careful surfing internet what you click on.

    Only 2 things, malware or see here https://www.google.com/search?q=PUP....utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Thanks for your help! My IE is back to normal and it is useable again. No new unknown programs have been installed on my system. I do wonder how this stuff got on my system, I am normally very careful about Internet surfing and installing programs. I have my suspicions, I installed a driver from ASUS and the installer asked to install another program from a publisher I did not recognize. I said NO twice and then it installed anyways. I have reported this to ASUS.

    Malwarebytes impressed me because this trial scanned my system, found the problems and then deleted the problems. Usually these type of trials tell you what they can do for you but they want your credit card number before actually doing anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by derekimo View Post

    Just a little reminder,

    14) No ad blocking discussions. This site depends on ads to pay for the costs of running and maintaining it.
    Forum Rules - Please Read!
    This thread is not about ad blocking. It is about having your Internet browser hijacked to make it useless and having bad programs installed on your machine without permission. The help I got is appreciated and it is why I use this forum. If it is possible, I will return the favour.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by alkaufmann View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by derekimo View Post

    Just a little reminder,

    14) No ad blocking discussions. This site depends on ads to pay for the costs of running and maintaining it.
    Forum Rules - Please Read!
    This thread is not about ad blocking. It is about having your Internet browser hijacked to make it useless and having bad programs installed on your machine without permission. The help I got is appreciated and it is why I use this forum. If it is possible, I will return the favour.
    My post wasn't about this thread. It was regarding the post I quoted that had a suggestion to use ad block which I edited out because it is against the rules.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    OP most likely due to adware, browser hijacker.
    This is a great tool for that type of thing,

    AdwCleaner Download
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Popups Enabled
Related Threads
Laptop getting multiple popups in System Security
My mother has a lenovo laptop running Windows 8. She uses AVG Pro but is still getting tons of popups and gets frustrated when it takes her five minutes to do one thing. I've run AVG scans and it's coming back clean. I run Malwarebytes and it comes back with a ton of stuff that I remove and it's...
popups in IE11 in Browsers & Mail
while in internet explorer ALMOST evry time I right click anything a popup apears mostly to upgrade movie viewer or upgrade Java or some other thing I dont need...I am running win 8.1... please help me stop the popups... GaryD..
Popups ads from links in text in Browsers & Mail
So I disabled AdBlock the other day and noticed links with popup ads like in the image below. I'm seeing them on this site also. Is that a virus? Any way to determine what is causing them? 3317133171
Hi, Does anyone know how I can stop (globally): 1. System tray / taskbar popups? (that is balloon notifications when some program has done something or other) 2. The taskbar from unhiding and flashing at me when a program has launched or is waiting for input etc? Cheers
Solved popups in Performance & Maintenance
I have a Samsung laptop ive only been on a few times im not liking it at all , ive got things icons etc coming in from the sides from the bottom from above I cant find a back button I sometimes lose the scroll button. it seems too busy just to much going off when I move my curser ive the...
I'm using the latest version of FF in Win 8 64-bit. I have the FF pop-up blocker enabled and also the ad-block extension. But I'm still getting these annoying pop-ups that slide in from the sides or top or bottom of the screen and hover, asking for opinions or ratings or blah-blah. Is there any way...
activation popups in Windows Updates & Activation
Iím new to this forum & Windows 7. Being an old XP user Iím still in a learning mode but wonít go into my feelings about this new OS; beginning to like it more as I learn. Hope I'm in the right forum. My machine is a bare bones from Tiger Direct of which I ordered Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit....
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook