Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Metro IE10 keeps quitting whenever I enter a URL in the address bar

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Calling this problem a Major bug really doesn't do it justice, This reflects badly on Msoft, I'd have to call it the screw up of the century.
    My guess is 3rd party software as the cause.
    That was what I thought also but I've tested this on a clean install with nothing else installed. It does the same thing either way. I spent days on this problem already, system images come in handy.

    Similar complaints are all over the internet. I wish I could find a quick fix but the only fix seems to be creating a new User account, which points to a User permission problem.

    Earlier builds of Windows 7 had a similar problem where if UAC was turned off the gadgets wouldn't work at all.

    This is something that I'm certain will be fixed with the next build in June so it's no big deal really.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Earlier builds of Windows 7 had a similar problem where if UAC was turned off the gadgets wouldn't work at all.
    Yes, I remember it well and remember applying the hack to change that behavior, that some crafty user created. I don't think it was a "problem" but rather intentional design. Gadgets can access the network and they probably intended the advanced security to go along with it.

    When there was too much complaint, that might have been a reason why they "fixed" it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    I can't see how setting the security level down and then up again, causing this problem, could be a "feature".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Setting down then up again is not the cause of any problems on Windows 8, no matter how you want to think or what anyone tells you.

    There is some other user error involved.

    I must have made at least 10 posts on here where I say that I have completely disabled UAC and Metro apps will not run. I've even posted screenshots of it on a few occasions.

    I just set UAC to default then rebooted. My Solitaire opened and is working perfectly fine. Here's a screenshot of it in Task Manager:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Well, Solitaire works fine for me as well, the problem is IE Metro. Check my YouTube link at page one. I CAN browse to pages i've visited before. For instance, if I press [G] and "http://google.com" appears, I can press enter to browse to Google.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by prplxr View Post
    Well, Solitaire works fine for me as well, the problem is IE Metro. Check my YouTube link at page one. I CAN browse to pages i've visited before. For instance, if I press [G] and "http://google.com" appears, I can press enter to browse to Google.
    I don't know what to tell ya besides that for a fact, it is either 3rd party software you installed causing it or some tweak you did is causing it.

    I never even tried IE Metro before and my system is exactly in the same state as the screenshot above. I just went to try it and it didn't work (couldn't connect to pages), but I automatically knew it was what I call "user error" because of something I did.

    All my machines for many, many years have the DNS Client service disabled. (Nothing previously had ever needed it to work.) Being empowered by my knowledge that it was my own fault, it took me approximately 2-3 minutes to figure out that enabling the DNS Client service made everything work well.

    Moral of the story: Keep blaming Microsoft and you will never find your solution.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Of course it's something I did that made it this way. I know that because everything worked flawlessly when I had just installed Win8. I just don't know WHAT I did that caused this. I don't blame Microsoft, although it would've been neat if they would've put in some piece of code that prevented this from happening.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Before our previous dialogue, you "knew" the cause:

    Quote Originally Posted by prplxr View Post
    I can't see how setting the security level down and then up again, causing this problem, could be a "feature".
    After our previous dialogue, you don't know the cause:

    Quote Originally Posted by prplxr View Post
    I just don't know WHAT I did that caused this.
    -----------

    My guess: 3rd party security you installed that needs to be uninstalled in safe mode with the special tool.

    If you want me to have a brief look at the system otherwise, I might see the cause if it is 3rd party software causing it. I usually can pick things out like this, or give a possible few.

    You can check on the top thread of the Crash subforum and run the tool as Admin it points you to. Zip the files or folder it makes as shown then attach here.

    ----------

    In the meantime, you can run this command from an elevated command prompt: sfc /scannow
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Before our previous dialogue, you "knew" the cause:

    Quote Originally Posted by prplxr View Post
    I can't see how setting the security level down and then up again, causing this problem, could be a "feature".
    After our previous dialogue, you don't know the cause:

    Quote Originally Posted by prplxr View Post
    I just don't know WHAT I did that caused this.
    Well, I'm not that sure anymore. There has got to be something more to it, but it all started when I fiddled with the UAC settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post

    -----------

    My guess: 3rd party security you installed that needs to be uninstalled in safe mode with the special tool.

    If you want me to have a brief look at the system otherwise, I might see the cause if it is 3rd party software causing it. I usually can pick things out like this, or give a possible few.

    You can check on the top thread of the Crash subforum and run the tool as Admin it points you to. Zip the files or folder it makes as shown then attach here.
    I tried running the program, but it gives me an error message telling me the log file can't be found. If I then click "Continue" the program just freezes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post

    ----------

    In the meantime, you can run this command from an elevated command prompt: sfc /scannow
    I've done that at least five times now with the same result. Though, I'm very thankful for your help!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Let's see what we can do with this: Type msinfo32 in the Start menu then press Enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file then attach here.

    To zip: Right click the saved file, choose Send To>>>Compressed (Zip) Folder

    Curious too, so please answer one question along with that. Do you have a folder C:\Windows\Minidump?
    Last edited by GMan; 07 May 2012 at 11:41. Reason: fixed what to type in Start menu
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Metro IE10 keeps quitting whenever I enter a URL in the address bar
Related Threads
Hi, As I'm used to having the address bar @ the top of the page, (like it is in the desktop version)..it looks like MS would have offered an option to do so in the 'metro' version. I hope that some user can come up with a 'hack' to get that done. David :rolleyes:
IE Metro tile is missing from my metro start screen. It's not in the 'all apps' list either. when I go to program default, it is set as the default browser. I went through all the checks in the tutorial on here, but at best, I can only get the desktop IE tile to pin to start. I would rather have...
I just got a Windows 8 laptop and won't be able to change it to Win 7 until the Win 7 DVD (finally) arrives. So in the mean time I am trying to get some use out of Win 8 - not an easy task! I am trying to use IE but am unable to obtain the area in which I can enter a URL. I had such an area...
Hello all. This is my first post. I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 pro. The install went well. During the post install I found that I could not use the numeric keys to enter numbers into my browser address bar. I tried all three browsers, Firefox, IE 10, and chrome. I tried a...
IE10 - Metro in Browsers & Mail
Recently, I have a problem with IE10 (Metro). I have one webpage(Page A) with Java script that produce another webpage(Page B) and broadcast some content to user. In IE10 (Desktop), it works well. But in IE10(Metro), I found that Page A will be block and Page B didn't show anything. But,...
Youtube in IE10 Metro? in Browsers & Mail
Is there some way to get this working? I have it set to HTML5, but it says it does not recognise any video formats.
Hi, Sorry if this has already been asked - I'm trying to catch up with developments and it seems easier asking rather than blundering my way between Metro and Normal mode. For regular browsing I'm using IE10 from the normal Windows desktop. I find that if a program opens IE10, it opens the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook