Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Prevent Browsers (firefox/chrome/IE) from automatically

  1. #1

    Prevent Browsers (firefox/chrome/IE) from automatically


    Hello,

    I just realized how bad this is for security reasons and many others.

    Have you ever uninstalled a program or quit something only to have your browser automatically open up and go to a webpage of the software you are uninstalling?!!?

    are they serious!?

    How do I control my "own" computer and tell it to not do that with anything!?

    I dont want my browser opening up at ALL unless i Press the "button" for it to open!

    ideas?

    thanks

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Yes, I have met that many times, if it's built into that program, there's not much you can do about it. Most of the time they just thank you for installing that SW or ask why you are uninstalling it in which case I usually tell them "Because it's a piece of ....."
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Trnava
    Posts : 683
    Win 8.1.1 Pro x64


    Get a firewall with HIPS like Privatefirewall or Comodo firewall .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Yellow Belly
    Posts : 178
    Windows 8.1 with Bing x64


    Upon uninstalling, I anticipate my browser popping open and immediately hit the red x box when it shows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
    Upon uninstalling, I anticipate my browser popping open and immediately hit the red x box when it shows.
    I anticipate it too, so I just turn my internet connection temporarily off, when uninstalling software, so when IE opens at least it doesn't connect.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Yellow Belly
    Posts : 178
    Windows 8.1 with Bing x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
    Upon uninstalling, I anticipate my browser popping open and immediately hit the red x box when it shows.
    I anticipate it too, so I just turn my internet connection temporarily off, when uninstalling software, so when IE opens at least it doesn't connect.
    Yes. Good thinking, that's bomb-proof.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Something I just thought about: If Microsoft tweaked UAC and Firewall to pop-up and require permission for uninstallers to connect to the internet every time, how many users would complain about that?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Something I just thought about: If Microsoft tweaked UAC and Firewall to pop-up and require permission for uninstallers to connect to the internet every time, how many users would complain about that?
    All ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Something I just thought about: If Microsoft tweaked UAC and Firewall to pop-up and require permission for uninstallers to connect to the internet every time, how many users would complain about that?
    All ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Trnava
    Posts : 683
    Win 8.1.1 Pro x64


    Indeed, Vista introduced UAC, what did users ask? How to disable UAC?!
    People do not want a secure OS, they want a non-intrusive OS, that works.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Prevent Browsers (firefox/chrome/IE) from automatically
Related Threads
The user account is automatically logged off from my PC Windows 8 though the antivirus program is still running. Thus, I have to reenter the password to check the program running status. How to prevent user account to be automatically logged off in windows 8? I have already selected Never in the...
Firefox and Chrome on an SP3 in Drivers & Hardware
Was told to stay away from those and use Modern IE 11 on Sp3 ad FF and Chrome hammer the battery...true?
I was just using Windows 8 and it said it had to restart to finish installing updates. It said do you want to restart now or wait 15 minutes. I was working on stuff so I said wait. Then the message popped up again and the only two choices were to restart or to close the windows. A little later...
Can it be done?
I just got a Dell with Win 8 and touchscreen. It was fine for a couple days. A half hour ago when I started it again I am unable to send email using yahoo mail in either of my browsers. I can check email fine and if I click the email in the inbox I can read it fine. When I click the onscreen right...
I'm having a weird problem. I got a broadband connection few days before and whenever I use that connection to access internet, Chrome alone works. Firefox, IE, Torrent application and all the Windows 8 apps are showing "unable to connect to internet". I tried a lot of cmds like" dns flush,...
Hi, I have a problem that I haven't found a cure for anywhere: I have a Sony Vaio with Windows 8 installed, and last night I tried to intall Open Office, Firefox and a program called Paint.net on it. The system wanted to restart, and it installed some updates, but after the updates were...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook