Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can't access a website

  1. #1

    Can't access a website


    I can't access a website which I know 100% is working because the owner is a musician with hundreds or more visits a day. I can't access it on either chrome, IE11 or firefox from any of the three computers on our home network.

    What could the common link be? Have I been blocked from the website or a router issue?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,883
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1


    The 4 most likely reasons are firewall (if 3rd party one installed), hosts file blocking, bad dns, or router blocking.

    Try changing your router's dns settings to any OpenDNS address. Then run this command in Windows, from an elevated prompt:

    ipconfig /flushdns

    Check the hosts files with Notepad to see if there are any entries for the website.

    Uninstall 3rd party firewall (if any) to test.

    Check router's block rules.

    Finally, check the website here: Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?

    Yes, it is possible the webmaster blocked your address too. Try using the tor network if this is the case (and website shows as up.)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Can you explain what you mean by any open dns addres
    ss?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,883
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1


    You should put any one of the addresses given by this website into your router's DNS settings, usually on the WAN tab.

    It is very stable and reliable, and not only that, typically almost always faster than your ISPs DNS servers - that means pages will load for you quicker than usual.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    I only have the windows firewall installed and I really don't understand the rest of your reply.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1,883
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1


    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Appleton View Post
    I only have the windows firewall installed and I really don't understand the rest of your reply.
    Then I suppose this is your best bet - to see if the site is online or not:

    Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    I know its online the musicians manager is his wife and she knows for a fact its online, she had my comments about problems with the website removed after I commented on facebook.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Yep - its up


    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Appleton View Post
    I only have the windows firewall installed and I really don't understand the rest of your reply.
    Then I suppose this is your best bet - to see if the site is online or not:

    Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Struggling to find anywhere to change the dns setting


    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    The 4 most likely reasons are firewall (if 3rd party one installed), hosts file blocking, bad dns, or router blocking.

    Try changing your router's dns settings to any OpenDNS address. Then run this command in Windows, from an elevated prompt:

    ipconfig /flushdns

    Check the hosts files with Notepad to see if there are any entries for the website.

    Uninstall 3rd party firewall (if any) to test.

    Check router's block rules.

    Finally, check the website here: Down For Everyone Or Just Me -> Check if your website is down or up?

    Yes, it is possible the webmaster blocked your address too. Try using the tor network if this is the case (and website shows as up.)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,883
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1


    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Appleton View Post
    I know its online the musicians manager is his wife and she knows for a fact its online, she had my comments about problems with the website removed after I commented on facebook.
    Ah-hah lol. Yes, the webmaster blocked you then, with 99.9999% certainty.

    As above, if you wish to still access the site, use TOR network. You'd have to learn about it. It's a little advanced but nothing super hard or anything. I think they even have download and run bundles that do not even need to be setup.

    Changing DNS settings will not help you with this at all.

    Edit: Go to the website using this and it will work: https://www.torproject.org/dist/torb...-3.5_en-US.exe

    From their site: "Everything you need to safely browse the Internet. This package requires no installation. Just extract it and run."
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Can't access a website
Related Threads
I live in Vietnam.I'm using ThinkPad T410 Windows 8.1.When I access any muti-language website such as xbox.music.com, instagram.com....It always displays French, not English default or Vietnamese Can anyone help me fix this problem!
msn.com website login in Browsers & Mail
Hi, I'm new to windows 8. I was using my xp machine until just recently and I never had to login to a Microsoft Account in order to access msn.com. If I don't login it will just redirect me to live.login. Then it puts me through a lot of security measures just to surf the web! Is there anyway...
Website help. in Chillout Room
Is there a way to get a good Blog up and running for Photography? Can Anyone help me by suggesting a good Publisher? Thank You,Shon John Xander.
Hi all I was annoyed by how Windows 8 keeps sharing folders on any network I connect to, so I did some digging on Google and found a post on how to disable network sharing. Someone also mentioned how changing Users Permissions / settings would things further, so I went ahead and changed those...
Can not display website in Browsers & Mail
I can connect to one website no matter what I try. I have disabled Windows 8 firewall, Webroot antivirus, tried using IE10, Chrome and Firefox. No matter what I try I can not connect. I contacted the company and they sent me the correct link that they confirmed is working and still I can not...
I've been using the same PCI card for years, and have had trouble over the years, but never like this. Ever since I installed Windows 8 it has been shaky, but I finally got my wifi to work for a while. I installed "Expat Shield", which is a ip blocker that allowed me to stream BBC for the olympics,...
I have the Windows 8 Consumer build 8250 installed on my Toshiba NETBOOK. Everything is all dandy except certain features on certin websites. I am unable to actually upload pictures to flickr. Like when I click the "Choose files to upload" nothing happens, no box allowing me to choose the...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook