Hi all, thought I would share my experience with the dreaded KB2919355 update that seems (from trawling the internet for solutions over the last several days) to be a pretty common problem that people are experiencing.
My 32-bit laptop attempted to install the update several times since 18/04/14 but failed each time. The error codes were almost as numerous as the clumps of hair I pulled out in exasperation. (In fact, the codes I received, in more or less random order, were as follows: 80246007, 80070005, 800F0902, 80073712, 80080008.)
I then tried various combinations of the following in the command line, running as an admin:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restoreHealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
(And I guess it's best to do them in that order, although the mods might be able to clarify if that's not the case.)
The first command returned the following message:
The second returned something similar. A check of the CBS and DISM log files showed that some system files were corrupted. The pertinent part of the DISM log file is below:Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
The CBS log file (which I seem to have lost) found four corruptions in the CNBJ2530.DPB file. That led me to think that corrupt system files were to blame, and I was about to give up and just wait for Microsoft to send an update-update (rather than re-install Windows, as that would have been a massive pain in the bum).(p) CSI Payload Corrupt x86_microsoft-windows-tabletpc-inputpanel_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_a661cc9192f62cce\boxed-correct.avi
(p) CSI Payload Corrupt x86_microsoft-windows-tabletpc-inputpanel_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_a661cc9192f62cce\boxed-delete.avi
(p) CSI Payload Corrupt x86_microsoft-windows-tabletpc-inputpanel_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_a661cc9192f62cce\delete.avi
(p) CSI Payload Corrupt x86_microsoft-windows-tabletpc-inputpanel_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_a661cc9192f62cce\correct.avi
(p) CSI Payload Corrupt x86_microsoft-windows-tabletpc-inputpanel_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_a661cc9192f62cce\boxed-split.avi
(p) CSI Payload Corrupt x86_microsoft-windows-tabletpc-inputpanel_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_a661cc9192f62cce\split.avi
(p) CSI Payload Corrupt x86_prncacla.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_39721ee11d5bae43\I386\CNBJ2530.DPB
Operation: Detect only
Operation result: 0x0
Last Successful Step: CSI store detection completes.
Total Detected Corruption: 7
CBS Manifest Corruption: 0
CBS Metadata Corruption: 0
CSI Manifest Corruption: 0
CSI Metadata Corruption: 0
CSI Payload Corruption: 7
Total Repaired Corruption: 0
CBS Manifest Repaired: 0
CSI Manifest Repaired: 0
CSI Payload Repaired: 0
CSI Store Metadata refreshed: True
But then I tried something towards the bottom of the page in this link, and it bloody worked! To be specific, I did the following sequence (which I have adapted a bit, and modified to be applicable to x86-based systems, as the sequence in the link above is for x64 systems).
- Download offline installers for the six updates in the KB2919355 set: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42327
- Installed the five updates other than KB2919355 itself (i.e. KB2959977, KB2938439, KB2937592, KB2934018 and KB2932046, in that order)
- Restart computer (possibly more than once, I can't quite remember)
- Fix Windows Update: How do I reset Windows Update components?
- Scan Windows system components: sfc /scannow
- Remove KB2919355 package:
dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~184.108.40.206
- Clean up the WinSxS folder: dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase
- Restart computer
- Run offline installer: Windows8.1-KB2919355-x86.msu
- Restart computer (I had to do this at least twice, but check Windows Update each time until the update is listed as "successful")
I have no idea WHY this particular method worked, as I don't know what caused the initial inability to install the update, so I can't be sure WHICH PART of the sequence of operations broke the logjam. However, I suspect steps 4 and 5 may well be unnecessary and that steps 6 and 7 are the crucial ones. Is there any consensus on that? That is something for the Microsoft Most Trusted Apothecaries to divine from whatever the digital equivalent of tea leaves are...
I should also note that a disk check revealed there were no bad sectors, i.e. using the following in the command line as an admin:
chkdsk /f /r
Lastly, I have Avast, Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (all free versions) running and DID NOT disable them at any point. It has been suggested on many threads I have read about this issue that one or more of those programs may have caused the corruptions, but I am not qualified to say either whether (a) they DID cause the corruptions, or (b) the corruptions were to blame for the update not installing.
Hope that is of use to some of you. And thanks to Brink for his/her amazing support on these forums. Although his/her solutions didn't work for me in this case, several of his/her tutorials were really interesting and enlightening!