Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to Activate a Second Win 8 Installation

  1. #1

    How to Activate a Second Win 8 Installation


    I did a clean installation with a Win 8 Upgrade license on a VM per the tutorial. After I activated it, I realized that the virtual HD was too small. So, I deleted the Win 8 VM and created a second VM with a larger virtual HD. I did a second installation per the tutorial. Everything went OK except the activation failed. I get a message that says the key has been used and that I need to get another key.

    Is there any way to get this second installation activated without calling Microsoft?

    Thanks for any help, Jim

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    UK
    Posts : 333
    Windows Server 2012 R2 / 8.1


    for future reference if you are using Hyper-V if you turn the virtual machine off you can edit the disk size.
    Either by going in to hyper-v manager > edit disk and choosing the action to expand the disk or going in to an elevated powershell and using this command:

    Resize-VHD

    Example:

    Resize-VHD –Path c:\Windows8VHD.vhd –SizeBytes 1TB

    Someone may be able to give a better answer on the activation but I believe you will have to call them.

    Cheers,
    Harry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    I am using the free version of VirtualBox. Nothing as sophisticated as Hyper-V.

    Thanks, Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. #4


    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ - Microsoft Windows Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    Purchasing a full version of Windows 8


    If you want to build your own PC and install Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro, or want an additional operating system running in either a local virtual machine or separate partition (including a Mac), you can purchase the Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro System Builder products (OEM versions). If available in your country or region, Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro System Builder products can be purchased at participating stores, you'll need to ask a sales rep for more info. This version doesn't include customer support.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,719
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
    I did a clean installation with a Win 8 Upgrade license on a VM per the tutorial. After I activated it, I realized that the virtual HD was too small. So, I deleted the Win 8 VM and created a second VM with a larger virtual HD. I did a second installation per the tutorial. Everything went OK except the activation failed. I get a message that says the key has been used and that I need to get another key.

    Is there any way to get this second installation activated without calling Microsoft?

    Thanks for any help, Jim
    This poses a good question. In the past, I often wondered if I should manually extract my product key from the registry before performing a clean installation but came to the conclusion that it shouldn't be necessary as a clean install builds a fresh registry.
    Something weird might have happened in your situation though.
    You could try the steps in this link:
    How To Uninstall Your Windows Product Key Before You Sell Your PC
    (the link includes re-install as well)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
    I did a clean installation with a Win 8 Upgrade license on a VM per the tutorial. After I activated it, I realized that the virtual HD was too small. So, I deleted the Win 8 VM and created a second VM with a larger virtual HD. I did a second installation per the tutorial. Everything went OK except the activation failed. I get a message that says the key has been used and that I need to get another key.

    Is there any way to get this second installation activated without calling Microsoft?

    Thanks for any help, Jim
    This poses a good question. In the past, I often wondered if I should manually extract my product key from the registry before performing a clean installation but came to the conclusion that it shouldn't be necessary as a clean install builds a fresh registry.
    Something weird might have happened in your situation though.
    You could try the steps in this link:
    How To Uninstall Your Windows Product Key Before You Sell Your PC
    (the link includes re-install as well)
    The link for directions on how to uninstall your product key is the first time I have seen such instructions.

    Anyway, I called the MS activation number and got the robot. (I had forgotten about the robot.) The robot asks you how many PCs you have installed the Win 8 on. (Correct answer is one.) Then it asks you to enter a code that is on the activation page. Then it gives you another code to enter. Then you get a message that says You are done, which indicates that the activation was successful. The codes are eight groups of five numbers.

    So, my Windows 8 is now activated.

    Thanks, Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    UK
    Posts : 333
    Windows Server 2012 R2 / 8.1


    Good Job Jim

    Hyper-V is not that sophisticated you will be be able to use no problem if you can work virtual box, Hyper-V going to be a walk in a park for you !!

    have a good day!

    cheers,
    Harry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by Harrylowt View Post
    Good Job Jim

    Hyper-V is not that sophisticated you will be be able to use no problem if you can work virtual box, Hyper-V going to be a walk in a park for you !!

    have a good day!

    cheers,
    Harry
    I checked Hyper-V, gulp, $500 for 25 users is too much for me.

    Thanks, Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    UK
    Posts : 333
    Windows Server 2012 R2 / 8.1


    Hyper-v comes part of Windows 8 as long as you have pro or enterprise x64 bit operating system and a CPU that supports Second Level Address Translation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    How to install and more information:

    Hyper-V Manager - Add to Control Panel in Windows 8

    Cheers, Harry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Hyper-V server is also free (Download Hyper-V Server 2012 R2).

    However it doesn't support wifi, bluetooth etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How to Activate a Second Win 8 Installation

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Cannot activate after clean installation (license issue)
I decided to do a little spring cleaning and clean (re)install Windows 8.1 Pro to my Bootcamp partition. I downloaded the Windows 8 Pro files by choosing create install media (ESD-USB). I actually had trouble getting this far as my Windows-route was Windows 8 Release Preview license -> Windows 8...
Windows Updates & Activation
Cant activate windows 8.1
so i built a new computer, and bought the windows 8.1 OEM disk from amazon. Amazon.com: Windows 8.1 System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit: Software well when i type in the key it says its not vaild. i called microsoft, and after being on hold for 2 hours, the lady with broken english said it was...
Windows Updates & Activation
Re-activate Win 8
Hi. I had a copy of windows 8 on one of my pc's. I bought it some time ago digitally when there was an offer to get it as an upgrade for a lower price (i think it was 40$). Anyway, the pc is died on me and i bought a new hard drive, now, i tried to download the Win 8 assistant in hopes it will...
Windows Updates & Activation
8 Won't Activate
Hi I recently purchased Windows 8 (12/12/2012), I d/l'ed it and made an ISO and DVD, I installed it onto an SSD and kept my HDD as a back up and storage device. Today my second SSD arrived and I installed it as a RAID 0 with my other SSD, all went well until I started having windows update...
Windows Updates & Activation
How to activate Windows 8 upgrade from a new installation
Hello, a friend of mine has the following problem: He bought a Windows 8 Pro upgrade licence, but did a complete new installation. But now he can't activate Windows 8. He is owner of a valid Windows 7 key, but there is no option to validate your Windows 8 licence, if you did a new...
Windows Updates & Activation
activate wi fi
how i can activate wi fi on laptop since the wi fi button broken? help please....
Network & Sharing
Can't Activate 64 bit
"Windows can't activate right now Try activating later." Been getting this for hours. Is there any way other than contacting Microsoft Customer service & Support?
Windows Updates & Activation

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook