Reboot to 8. Download/extract this to a folder. Open device manager.
Right click on the audio line needing driver. Update driver software | browse my computer | let me pick | have disk | browse
Now point to this file in the extracted folder: viahdb2.inf
Should work fine.
When done, you can run the .exe file from VIA's website if you want to install the utilities too.
But to me, I think that would be a splendid business model to sell maybe, 64 gig USB 3.0 SSDs with Windows 8 installed. It's just like selling a multiuse license. Of course, that would come at a higher price, but still...
I'm actually going to attempt this Windows To Go thing this week. I found out that you have the use this automated installer software and you need this file from the installer disk of Windows 8. I already know that a 32 bit copy of Windows will gladly occupy an 8 gig space, and I have me a 16 gig flash drive that has 14.2 gigs of space that is carrying a useable Windows 7, it's time to Start the Future, of Windows. Aw yeah!
I'll have to recreate my VHD first.
I deleted W8 CP when I was going to try to "Upgrade" W8 DP (since the sound driver was working in DP).
I didn't know that you couldn't upgrade VHD installs.
Since I couldn't make the sound work correctly, I didn't bother recreating W8 CP.
I'll report back later on the results.
That file (viahdb2.inf) made W8 CP (64 bit) instantly BSOD.
Kinda like a puzzle heh heh. If I had your machine, I'd be trying everything under the sun.
In any case, perhaps you should send an e-mail over to VIA with a link to here or whatnot. With such a large company and obviously available talent, they may scrap together some beta driver in an instant.
Weird....but in any case...best of luck!
In my thinking, there may be a very small chance of some other driver doing something weird. Perhaps compare the versions you have installed to your other working OSes. You could even try booting to "good" Vista/7/8 OS. Then copy the .sys, the .inf and the .cat from that OS' directories directly over the ones to the non-working 8 directories. Reboot to "bad" 8 and see what happens.
C:\Windows\System32\drivers - .sys
C:\Windows\inf - .inf
C:\Windows\System32 - .cat
I thought of that (W8 DP to W8 CP) but Windows won't allow me to copy the drivers directory.
It says that it's copying the directory, but when you open the copy, it only has about 6 files in it!
Since I used VHDs for W8, I can't even use the "brute force approach" to do it (i.e. fire up Linux and copy the files).
I don't know what the driver files names are.
If I did, I could try copying them individually (from W7 or W8 DP).
Since I have a real W7 install, I can always use Linux to retrieve them, if W7 "won't play ball".
I've also tried:
- sfc /scannow
- Checking the ISO Sha 1 hash
- Re-installing W8 (3x)
None of those steps made any difference.
That's why I think that it's an OS "fault".
MS must have changed something between the W8 DP and W8 CP.