Today we are delighted to announce a significant Spring update for Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) 5.0 SP2. This update is in coordination with the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) 2014 release which we also announced today on the Springboard Series Blog
For those of you who are not familiar with App-V, this product enables anywhere access to virtualized applications on any authorized PC without application installs. Microsoft’s has a long history of providing flexible application virtualization with powerful management, and making the virtual application behave as if it was locally installed.
Today’s update to App-V 5.0 SP2 is available for download
and includes a number of significant product innovations focusing on virtualized desktop scenarios. We have also published new guidance
on tuning and sizing your virtualized application infrastructure along with detailed descriptions of the App-V client internals.
Below is a summary of the updates to App-V 5.0 SP2:
- Innovations to application publishing and launch. App-V now has a number of enhancements to application publishing/refresh and launch performance. These include new capabilities that leverage existing user profile management technology (like MDOP’s UE-V) during application publish and launch.
- Support of parallel deployment and execution of application upgrades. Improvements to App-V, allowing you to simplify the test and execution of your upgraded virtualized applications while retaining user access to the original virtualized application running on the same device.
- Improvements to existing capabilities. Based on your feedback, we have also made a number of other updates to App-V, including: enhancements to the package conversion engine and sequencer, improving package conversion rates; and, support for a VFS write mode sequencer setting – which simplifies the virtualization of applications that require this capability.
- More deployment guidance and how-to guides. To help you learn, test, deploy and optimize App-V in your environment, there are now a number of how-to guides available here. These include a new App-V performance guide, a publishing guide and updates to our administration and sequencing guides.
In summary App-V 5.0 SP2 Spring update includes some great new capabilities for one of MDOPs headline products and represents another instance of how MDOP delivers new innovation and easily deployable solutions at a fast and predictable cadence. To learn more about MDOP, including App-V
– plus helpful guidance on how you can deploy these tools in your organization – please visit our TechNet site
Ronald Dockery, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Windows Commercial