Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


8.1 Evaluation from Windows Secrets Newsletter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1
    fireberd's Avatar

    Beach Observer


    Join Date : Nov 2012
    Inverness, FL
    Posts : 839
    Win 8.1.1 Pro, Win 7 Home
    USA us florida

    8.1 Evaluation from Windows Secrets Newsletter

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2



    Join Date : Feb 2012
    USA
    Posts : 119
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    USA us north carolina


    Nice find....a very good read. Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3
    jimbo45's Avatar

    Senior Member


    Join Date : Sep 2011
    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 3,430
    Linux Mint KDE 16, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server
    Iceland


    Hi there
    Again these articles seem to over concentrate on the stupid MENU (or lack of it) -- If you boot straight to desktop and have your most used apps pinned to desktop (do this by opening File location and then send to desktop) or to the task bar then the menu is essentially an irrelevance -- and in any case you can get a much better menu by creating a custom toolbar rather than that huge windows 7 menu expanse - the toolbar creates an XP like menu which is far better on large screens anyway.

    Booting straight to desktop, disabling the charms feature and the applications list (2nd "start screen") and the far better search are worthwhile in themselves for desktop users.

    Even in W7 I hardly ever bothered with the menu.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4
    alphanumeric's Avatar

    Retired



    Join Date : Sep 2011
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 3,664
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64 Bit GA Build
    Canada ca novia scotia


    I don't have to go to the customize mode to move or uninstall an app? All Customize does on my system is let me name the groups or move them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.   

  6. #5
    HippsieGypsie's Avatar

    It's Gururrrrrr8!




    Join Date : Jun 2012
    Chicago outer burbs
    Posts : 11,271
    8.1 Pro X64
    USA us illinois


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    Again these articles seem to over concentrate on the stupid MENU (or lack of it) -- If you boot straight to desktop and have your most used apps pinned to desktop (do this by opening File location and then send to desktop) or to the task bar then the menu is essentially an irrelevance -- and in any case you can get a much better menu by creating a custom toolbar rather than that huge windows 7 menu expanse - the toolbar creates an XP like menu which is far better on large screens anyway.

    Booting straight to desktop, disabling the charms feature and the applications list (2nd "start screen") and the far better search are worthwhile in themselves for desktop users.

    Even in W7 I hardly ever bothered with the menu.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I'm glad to see you're attempting to drive these points home as I've seen in some of your other posts from time to time. MS has attempted to satisfy the "Desktoppers" with option to boot up to it, configure to use All Apps instead of Start Screen, and disable the hot corners. To me these are significant changes to make it "feel" and perform like past "desktop orientated" OSs, but yet they continue to get the flack for it as we see here in another article.

    You've also been posting/teaching about alternative menus to replace the Start Menu, which IMO makes sense. According to MS data, I, like you and many others, never used it only to use alternative menus and/or plaster shortcuts on the Taskbar. When that got to be looking too big, messy, and unmanageable users placed them all over the Desktop. How many Desktops have we seen this way? I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen a lot of them on many a machine.

    It even got to the point where I was plastering Favorites shortcuts. I figured why should I waste a time to open a menu to open a browser, or simply open by other means, then look for the site page I wanted, when all I had to do was press one icon and poof! I was there! Lol! It got to be where there were so many icons it was difficult to see the background.

    I don't mean to sound crude, but I think when people get over the fact that the Start Menu is gone for good will they make progress to look for and use alternatives. Personally I like the Start Menu/All Apps as it is by default for personal reasons, which would only be opinion and not based on fact when it comes to efficiency of use and aesthetics. The fact remains that less and less users were using the Start Menu, so therefore MS changed it. Did they use it to their advantage for a touch-centric launching platform? You betcha'. Does it work well with mouse and/or keyboard? I think it does, but that, again, would be my opinion. I have yet to see results on efficiency studies of this. Perhaps someone will point me in that direction. Until then, it is only based on opinion.

    Designing the Start screen which will lead to Evolving the Start menu - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

    We’d like to share a series of blog posts on the how and why of reimagining Start. This first post talks about the history and evolution of the Start menu, and several of the problems and trends we’ve learned from you. We think it’s always important to understand where we’ve come from before we talk about where we’re headed. We’ll then have another post that dives into how we crafted the new Start screen, and then we’ll see where the discussion leads us from there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6
    Rickkins's Avatar

    Power User


    Join Date : Jun 2012
    Posts : 765
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Canada


    Attempt to satisfy "desktoppers"....???

    Oh, I don't think so. At best it is a rather sad attempt at sleight of hand on ms's part. It's still a turd.(tifkam) The only ones fooled are those who really really wanna be fooled. The rest of us are not fooled, not in the least.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7
    HippsieGypsie's Avatar

    It's Gururrrrrr8!




    Join Date : Jun 2012
    Chicago outer burbs
    Posts : 11,271
    8.1 Pro X64
    USA us illinois


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I don't have to go to the customize mode to move or uninstall an app? All Customize does on my system is let me name the groups or move them.
    I think what he means is that if one right clicks on a tile, the screen goes to a darker shade, the tiles zoom back slightly, and the column titles appear for changing, which is the full customize mode? If left click and hold to move a tile, it goes into a semi-custom mode where only the tiles zoom back slightly to return back when released? Does that make sense?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8
    HippsieGypsie's Avatar

    It's Gururrrrrr8!




    Join Date : Jun 2012
    Chicago outer burbs
    Posts : 11,271
    8.1 Pro X64
    USA us illinois


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Attempt to satisfy "desktoppers"....???

    Oh, I don't think so. At best it is a rather sad attempt at sleight of hand on ms's part. It's still a turd.(tifkam) The only ones fooled are those who really really wanna be fooled. The rest of us are not fooled, not in the least.
    Everyone has their opinion. I have mine. You have yours. Others have theirs. Again, your "fooled" approach of insight and/or conviction is only an opinion so far as I'm concerned.

    Bottom line is that I'm not here to argue. Have a good day.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9
    lehnerus2000's Avatar

    Power User


    Join Date : Feb 2012
    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,241
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit)
    Australia au south australia

    Huh?


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Again these articles seem to over concentrate on the stupid MENU (or lack of it)
    Out of ~ 45 paragraphs:
    • ~3 paragraphs were about the fake Start Menu button.
    • ~11 paragraphs were about the Metro Screen.
    • ~5 paragraphs were about how to:
      • Boot to the desktop
      • Eliminate the Charms bar and
      • Eliminate the Thumbnails bar

    • ~6 paragraphs were about the data mining search feature.
    • ~10 paragraphs were about the Libraries.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10
    Rickkins's Avatar

    Power User


    Join Date : Jun 2012
    Posts : 765
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Canada


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Attempt to satisfy "desktoppers"....???

    Oh, I don't think so. At best it is a rather sad attempt at sleight of hand on ms's part. It's still a turd.(tifkam) The only ones fooled are those who really really wanna be fooled. The rest of us are not fooled, not in the least.
    Everyone has their opinion. I have mine. You have yours. Others have theirs. Again, your "fooled" approach of insight and/or conviction is only an opinion so far as I'm concerned.

    Bottom line is that I'm not here to argue. Have a good day.
    You're right, of course, it is only an opinion, what more could you expect from an opinionated s.o.b. like me....

    (at least until they name me ruler of the universe, that is... at which point I shall do away with tifkam all together, and restore order to the universe...)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
8.1 Evaluation from Windows Secrets Newsletter
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Is windows 8 still on evaluation? Installation & Setup
Windows 8 Secrets: New Desktop Theme Windows 8 News
Windows 8 Wireless Networking Secrets Revealed Windows 8 News
Windows 8 Secrets: Welcome Screen Windows 8 News

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook