Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Interesting debate between Ed Bott and S.J.V. Nichols

  1. #21


    Mt. Crumpit cave
    Posts : 108
    Win 7 Ult X64 SP1


    I still go with my original postition. I still don't want my PC screen to look like someone's cell phone. and the green color is horrid.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Tropical Island Pair a Dice
    Posts : 3,030
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64


    You can change the background picture and color.

    See Shawn's tut: Start and Logon Metro Screen - Change Background Color and Image

    You can change the icons to any ones you will need or use, think of it as a gadget and frequently used program icon page.
    I tend to stay on the conventional desktop mostly but, I'm finding uses for the Metro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Posts : 3
    Windows 7 x64


    Lebon14, I disagree. I don't think that Windows 8 is directed at businesses. Before Win 7, most businesses were scraping by on XP. XP met all of their needs and there was no reason to upgrade to Vista. Once Win 7 came out and proved itself to be a really good, stable platform, businesses started making the switch-over to it--to the point where there are more Win 7 machines than XP machines now.

    It is unlikely that businesses would move to Win 8 after having gone to the expense of changing over to Win 7. I suspect that most businesses will give Windows 8 a pass and wait for the next evolution, so your concern over businesses and big enterprises ignoring Win 8 is moot.

    For any businesses that might decide to go with Win 8, there won't be any need to rewrite programs which work on Win 7, because they will also work on 8.

    As for touchscreens, there are a number of them available in flat-screen LCD monitors and with the introduction of a large scale operating system like Win 8, there will be a growing number and they will get cheaper and cheaper as sales rise.

    Just my opinion. Cheers
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. #24


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,515
    Vista and Win7


    Catswold, Although we do not yet have the full story, I think you might be right. There is nothing yet I see in 8 that would make a business go thru the expense of switching and reeducating all their people. 8 will probably end up to be one of those interim systems like ME and Vista, But it is still fun for the enthusiast. On mobile devices, the story is probably different.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 86
    Windows 7 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Catswold View Post
    Lebon14, I disagree. I don't think that Windows 8 is directed at businesses. Before Win 7, most businesses were scraping by on XP. XP met all of their needs and there was no reason to upgrade to Vista. Once Win 7 came out and proved itself to be a really good, stable platform, businesses started making the switch-over to it--to the point where there are more Win 7 machines than XP machines now.

    It is unlikely that businesses would move to Win 8 after having gone to the expense of changing over to Win 7. I suspect that most businesses will give Windows 8 a pass and wait for the next evolution, so your concern over businesses and big enterprises ignoring Win 8 is moot.

    For any businesses that might decide to go with Win 8, there won't be any need to rewrite programs which work on Win 7, because they will also work on 8.

    As for touchscreens, there are a number of them available in flat-screen LCD monitors and with the introduction of a large scale operating system like Win 8, there will be a growing number and they will get cheaper and cheaper as sales rise.

    Just my opinion. Cheers
    I disagree. In my company I work for once the software we use is supported in a new OS we switch over to it. Many software providers will not support what they call a legacy OS for tech support. So if we have a issue say with running the program on Windows 7 and 8 is now supported they will not give any tech support. Bear in mind we use high end engineering programs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Posts : 3
    Windows 7 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Catswold View Post
    Lebon14, I disagree. I don't think that Windows 8 is directed at businesses. Before Win 7, most businesses were scraping by on XP. XP met all of their needs and there was no reason to upgrade to Vista. Once Win 7 came out and proved itself to be a really good, stable platform, businesses started making the switch-over to it--to the point where there are more Win 7 machines than XP machines now.

    It is unlikely that businesses would move to Win 8 after having gone to the expense of changing over to Win 7. I suspect that most businesses will give Windows 8 a pass and wait for the next evolution, so your concern over businesses and big enterprises ignoring Win 8 is moot.

    For any businesses that might decide to go with Win 8, there won't be any need to rewrite programs which work on Win 7, because they will also work on 8.

    As for touchscreens, there are a number of them available in flat-screen LCD monitors and with the introduction of a large scale operating system like Win 8, there will be a growing number and they will get cheaper and cheaper as sales rise.

    Just my opinion. Cheers
    I disagree. In my company I work for once the software we use is supported in a new OS we switch over to it. Many software providers will not support what they call a legacy OS for tech support. So if we have a issue say with running the program on Windows 7 and 8 is now supported they will not give any tech support. Bear in mind we use high end engineering programs.
    I think a lot depends on the type of company you work for. If your work is on the cutting edge of technology, then you are probably correct, but if you work for a large corporation, they simply cannot afford to switch OSes with every evolutionary step. Remember that Win 7 is actually Win 6.1 and Win 8 will be Win 6.2 (Vista was Win 6.0) so backwards compatibility is there for virtually all programs. Also remember that we are still only on Win 7 SP1 and SP2 probably won't be released for another 6-9 months--about the same time as Win 8.

    There will be very little advantage in switching from 7 to 8 for most conventional users. Without the "touch" features, Win 8 will probably be less efficient than Win 7. It appears that--at least for the pre-release version--Win 8 is handicapped for conventional keyboard/mouse users.

    I have installed and used every Windows version produced since Windows 3.0--yes, including even Windows ME (what can I say, I'm a junkie)--but I am not certain I will go with Win 8. I will try it out, but until I can afford to buy large format touch screen monitors, it appears not to be worth moving.

    Most corporations will not be willing to make that level of hardware change without substantial motivation--such as revolutionary software pertinent to their industry.

    I hope the hardware folks get up to speed quickly with touch screen monitors cause I love them--I first used one on an old Honeywell plant operations control system back in 2002 .

    As always, it will be fun to watch how the system deployment evolves over the next couple of years.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by logicearth View Post

    Windows 7 cheaper? Uhh Windows is not sold like a car it doesn't get cheaper when a new version comes out. The old version is no longer sold.
    Wrong. It's called supply and demand. You can buy Vista and XP for less than 7. You can still buy Windows 95. You can buy 3.1.

    Catswold is correct about not just the software change for businesses but the hardware. 8 is not for them, it's for consumers. MS has been saying this themselves. My wife works for a very large company. They're still on XP and Office 2003 because the cost to change everyone over then train them is staggering. If you're a nimble, small business you could make an OS change much easier.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 22
    Windows 7/Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Wrong. It's called supply and demand. You can buy Vista and XP for less than 7. You can still buy Windows 95. You can buy 3.1.
    Colonel...I'm sure you are smarter then this. Business buy their operating systems in bulk. Volume Licensing. Not old unsold warehouse retail boxes. Or pre-owned sold by owner deals.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Wrong. It's called supply and demand. You can buy Vista and XP for less than 7. You can still buy Windows 95. You can buy 3.1.
    Colonel...I'm sure you are smarter then this. Business buy their operating systems in bulk. Volume Licensing. Not old unsold warehouse retail boxes. Or pre-owned sold by owner deals.
    Gee, you mean Windows 95 might not be the best way to go for a company the size of Wal-Mart? The reason I listed those is because I can't send you a link with volume prices because such a link doesn't exist. Businesses negotiate with MS and the variables determining cost are infinite. Buying downgrade rights, for example, can definitely be the cheaper route for some. No way businesses are gonna flock to 8, MS will have options for them for a long time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Interesting debate between Ed Bott and S.J.V. Nichols

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Ed Bott: 8 Changes I'd like to see in Windows 8
Full article here: Eight changes I'd like to see in Windows 8.1 (but probably won't) These seem to me to be a sensible set of suggestions, and I bet it's a lot more in keeping with Microsoft's vision than the Windows Red thing the other day. Personally I'd add: Overlapping, resizeable...
Windows 8 News
An interesting article on the Surface Pro by Ed Bott
Is the brilliant, quirky, flawed Surface Pro right for you? | ZDNet
Chillout Room
The great Windows 8 debate
You could say is a large debate. see two page report
Chillout Room
Windows 8 vs Ubuntu Debate + First Experience Of Both OS's
Remember that you can watch any of the videos in 720p HD! My mum loves Windows XP and pretty much doesn't want to use anything else. Windows 8 has been released and obviously she will need to update her operating system eventually. Before she updated to Windows 8 however I let her try it out...
General Support
Why Debate 8?
With RTM release imminent, why are the discussons so passionately intensifying re the success/failure of Win8? Is each side trying to convert the other; or simply on an ego trip to win their point? Why not just let it rest now and wait see what the consumers have to say? There is an old Greek...
General Support
A member of another forum interviewed Ed Bott about Win8
My interview with Ed Bott - Windows Help Forum
Windows 8 News

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook