Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 Developer Preview release

  1. #301


    Hull England
    Posts : 207
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Sp1/Windows 8 Release Preview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by mikedl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxdannyxxx View Post
    In my opinion It can be an advantage in a dual boot. In your case Mike if you deleted you Windows 7 partition for a clean install Windows 8 wouldn't boot as 7 is the active partition and you would be removing the boot files for 8. You would have to run a start-up repair on 8 to mark it as active to get it to boot.Its totally personal choices.
    Hi, Danny!

    Thing is, when I installed Win8 7989, all I did was create a partition and install it. When I went to Win8 8102, I deleted the Win8 7989 partition and just installed it there. I never deleted my Win7 partition, just re-sized it to fit the initial Win8 7989 leak.
    No sorry Mike I mean in the future if you deleted 7 or wanted to reinstall it you would loose the boot files for 8 and would have to run a start-up repair to get it to boot.Not that that's a problem I'm just trying to give you some positive's for having it lol

    Not sure who Im trying to convince now

    It's just the way I like to roll

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #302


    Central West (near Orange) NSW
    Posts : 300
    8 Pro desk 1 (SB) 7 Home desk 2 (IB) 8 Pro Lap 1


    Hiyya all have just come across from the 7 forum as I saw the debate in there.

    Just one query the development program is that just for individuals who can write software or can one make comments, suggestions etc before I go making a fool of myself.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #303


    Posts : 21,819
    64-bit Windows 10


    Quote Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
    Hiyya all have just come across from the 7 forum as I saw the debate in there.

    Just one query the development program is that just for individuals who can write software or can one make comments, suggestions etc before I go making a fool of myself.
    Hello John, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    Windows 8 Developer Preview is for everyone to review and make comments on, or seek help about.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. #304


    USA-Texas
    Posts : 29
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Hello All,
    The dual boot mode is the only way to go in my opinion..that way your main operating system isn't disturbed at all. It's SO easy to partition a hard drive it's worth it.
    David :nerd:
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #305


    Central West (near Orange) NSW
    Posts : 300
    8 Pro desk 1 (SB) 7 Home desk 2 (IB) 8 Pro Lap 1


    Hey thanks Brink Looking forward to it. Going to search out the dual boot and then start.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #306


    Quote Originally Posted by Davy49 View Post
    Hello All,
    The dual boot mode is the only way to go in my opinion..that way your main operating system isn't disturbed at all. It's SO easy to partition a hard drive it's worth it.
    David :nerd:
    Absolutely. And to get rid of the dual boot of Windows it's dead easy.

    Go into msconfig > Boot tab > delete the boot option.

    Then in Explore just Format the partition with which you have installed Windows 8 on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #307


    Central West (near Orange) NSW
    Posts : 300
    8 Pro desk 1 (SB) 7 Home desk 2 (IB) 8 Pro Lap 1


    Thanks aem Thats what I like about these Vista 7 and now 8 forums I always get such pleasant members to answer my sometimes dumb questions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #308


    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Posts : 20
    Win 8x64 - Win 7x64, Win7x32


    Well!! There is a lot of muttering going on in my corner of the world at the moment, LOL.
    I installed 8 to separate partitions on my desktop and Pavilion DV6 laptop with no problem whatsoever so decided to also install on my Compaq CQ62 which is a triple core AMD with 8 GB DDR3. Made a small 35 GB partition and started to install. It asked if I wanted to save files and I said no and away it went. I panicked and pressed the Cancel button - thought about it for a while and restarted the installation thinking that it must ask me where I wanted to install to, but NOOOOOOO!! It just went ahead and installed over the top of the factory Win7x64.
    Didn't even have a C: drive after that as it went to X: and wouldn't let me change it. Weird.
    Have dug out my Recovery disks and returning to factory settings now. Don't think I will be game to try it again on that machine. LOL.
    Last edited by rowal5555; 30 Sep 2011 at 20:04.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #309


    Central West (near Orange) NSW
    Posts : 300
    8 Pro desk 1 (SB) 7 Home desk 2 (IB) 8 Pro Lap 1


    Just a thought if I put in say a 500GB HDD can I use that to put Windows 8 onto so I don't get myself in a mess. Or do I have to go dual boot?

    Am also wondering if my security KIS 2012 will cover that drive? :unsure:
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #310


    Posts : 520
    Windows 8, x64, DP8102 - Win7 Ultimate x64, Dual Boot


    Quote Originally Posted by rowal5555 View Post
    Well!! There is a lot of muttering going on in my corner of the world at the moment, LOL.
    I installed 8 to separate partitions on my desktop and Pavilion DV6 laptop with no problem whatsoever so decided to also install on my Compaq CQ62 which is a triple core AMD with 8 GB DDR3. Made a small 35 GB partition and started to install. It asked if I wanted to save files and I said no and away it went. I panicked and pressed the Cancel button - thought about it for a while and restarted the installation thinking that it must ask me where I wanted to install to, but NOOOOOOO!! It just went ahead and installed over the top of the factory Win7x64.
    Didn't even have a C: drive after that as it went to X: and wouldn't let me change it. Weird.
    Have dug out my Recovery disks and returning to factory settings now. Don't think I will be game to try it again on that machine again. LOL.
    Whoa! That's odd. When I installed Win8 7989, all I did was make a partition on my C drive. When I wanted to install Win8 8102, I just deleted the partition. Win7 didn't skip a beat.

    I installed Win8 8102 on the same partition I had 7989 on (after reformatting) and, still, my Win7 partition didn't skip a beat.

    I did a refresh of Win8 8102 - Win 7 didn't skip a beat.

    I use MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable CD 7.0 whenever I preform partition exercises.

    I've also expanded my Win8 8102 partition to test out additional programs. Win7 still didn't skip a beat. I can still boot both just fine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Windows 8 Developer Preview release

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Installing? Developer Preview Apps in Comsumer Preview
Is it possible to 'install" DP Apps in CP? Where are the 'shortcuts?' for Metro Apps located? Here's path one.. d:\Program Files\Applications\microsoft.build_1.0.1.4_neutral_neutral_8wekyb3d8bbwe\ Here's path two.. d:\Users\Windunce\AppData\microsoft.build_8wekyb3d8bbwe\
Software and Apps
Release Preview does not work, developer preview did?
When I updated to the release preview, Metro stopped working on my computer. The tiles said Microsoft.ZuneMusic/AppexNews and when I clicked them they did not open. If I tried to open the store, it would open the splash screen and then crash. So then I tried to re-install windows 8 but it would not...
Installation & Setup
Windows 8 Release Candidate to be called "Release Preview"
5510We have info that Windows 8 Release Candidate will be called "Release Preview" and that will be launched sometime in late May or early June. But we must say that all these are just rumors. 5509 Source: winunleaked
Windows 8 News
Installation Windows 8 Developer Preview Developer DVD
Dear forum readers, I have a problem when trying to install: Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64) When using the DVD tool from Microsoft as explained in one of the tutorials in this forum, I receive the following error message: The disc does not have...
Installation & Setup
How to remove Windows 8 Developer Release?
This is just a question in preparation to installing the developer release of Windows 8. What is the correct way after installing Windows 8 Developer Release, to remove it, and for example install Windows 8 Beta if it is available? Will the boot menu also be removed, in other words, what is...
Installation & Setup
Windows Developer Preview: The Third IE10 Platform Preview
More...
Windows 8 News

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook