Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread, any help would be very much appreciated.
Story in brief
My system is ruining Windows 8 Pro x64 (NOT 8.1). On initial install I followed this tutorial to relocate the user profiles to 2nd drive(2). Recently this 2nd drive(2) has failed, I do however have the important contents backup in 2 forms (windows backup and FileHistory) on a 3rd drive(3). I can still boot into windows, but cannot login for obvious reasons (error given is: 'user profile service failed to load user profile')
Summary of system drives
Letter/Label: C / Local Disk
Contents: Windows operating system and install programs (excluding user profiles)
Letter/Label: D / UserStore
Contents: User Profiles
Notes: The HDD has failed
Letter/Label: E / BackupDrive(4) -
Contents: System image (C drive only), Windows backup (entire system), FileHistory (My user profile only)
Letter / Label: D / UserStore2
Notes: New, formatted NTFS, single partition.
Current operating state of system.
- Only one user account was created on this system, I will refer to this as "MyUser". Using regedit (via cmd from "advanced startup options") I have activated the inbuilt admin account but it is not accessible on logon screen after both standard and safe mode boots
- Can boot logon screen, but logon produces error 'user profile service failed to load user profile'.
- Can boot into safe mode and successfully login using MyUser account, doing with displays the welcome messages (as if first logon) and once the desktop is reach a message box from the system tray informs that the "Default Profile" has been loaded.
- I have bootable usb stick with a Linux distro,
Where I'm looking for help
Going forward I no longer wish to have my user profile located on a 2nd drive primarily so I upgrade to Windows 10 in future and secondly because all the trouble it has caused in this instance. (In future I just use symbolic links to relocate content)
Basically I just need be able to access the windows desktop from non-safe mode. So I can build a recovery disk/media to do a clean install or restore from my backup. Not really sure what the best way to go about this would be, but I imagine 3 options would be:
- Recreate user profile from backup on the new drive(4)
- Force windows to recreate the "User" folder on the D: drive(4)
- Force windows to recreate the "User" folder after reverting the user profile path back to it's default on C:
I don't know how possible/feasible any of the above are. advice on this would be appreciated.
I guess another option would be to create a recover disk/media from safe mode and then do a clean install from there, is this possible?