How to Send and View Requests with Family Safety in Windows 8 and 8.1
When a item (ex: website, app, game) has been blocked in a child's (standard user) account monitored by Family Safety
, then this will show you how a child can send a request
to ask a parent (administrator) for permission to allow or continue to block the item.
How a Child Can Ask a Parent for Permission in Family Safety
NOTE: This is when a child (standard user) has received a toast notification that a item they tried to open or run has been blocked by Family Safety, and would like to send a request to ask the parent if they would unblock the item.
1. Click/tap on the toast notifcation (top right corner) or the Ask for permission button. (see screenshot below)
2. Do step 3 or 4 below for how you would like to ask your parent for permission to unblock this item for you.
NOTE:If you do not wish to do step 3 or 4 below, then you can just click/tap on the Close button below instead.
3. "My Parent is here" to Give Permission Now
A) Click/tap on the My parent is here button. (see screenshot below)
B) Have the parent (administrator) enter their password, and click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)
C) Have the parent click/tap on Allow to always allow this child's account permission to run/open this item. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: Clicking/tapping on Cancel, will close and cancel the request for permission.
D) The child should now be able to open or run the item now after trying again.
E) You're done.
4. "Send a request" to Ask a Parent for Permission to View Later
A) Click/tap on the Send a request
button. (see screenshot below step 3A)
NOTE: If this option is not available, then it just means that the parent has signed out of the Family Safety website, and the option will be available again the next time they sign back in. Usually a parent will always remain signed in to the site once originally signed in though
B) The request has been sent. Click/tap on Close
. (see screenshot below)
C) If allowed by the parent, the child will always be able to open or run the item the next time they sign in to their account in Windows 8.
D) You're done.
How a Parent can View & "Allow or Block" Requests in Family Safety
NOTE: Only a parent (administrator) is able to do this option. This will show a parent how to view any requests sent by their children (standard users) using step 4 in OPTION ONE above to then be able to allow or block the item for only the child's account that sent the request or for all children's accounts.
Do either step 2 or 3
below for how you would like to sign in to the Family Safety website.
From any computer, sign in to the Family Safety website
in your web browser, and go to step 4
In Windows 8, open the Control Panel (icons view)
, and click/tap on the Family Safety
A) If prompted by UAC
, then click/tap on Yes
B) Click/tap on the Manage settings on the Family Safety website
option, and go to step 4
below. (see screenshot below)
Click/tap on the request
link of a listed child's (standard user
) account that you would like to view the requests they asked for. (see screenshot below)
5. For each listed request by the child's account, select how you would what you would like to do in the Response drop down menu. When finished, click/tap on the Save button. (see screenshot below)
6. These changes will be appply the next time the child (standard user) signs in to their monitored account. (see screenshot below)
7. You can now close the Family Safety website, or click on another setting in the left pane you would like to change.