How to Change Color of Window Borders and Taskbar in Windows 8 and 8.1
This tutorial will show you how to change the color of your window borders, buttons, text, and taskbar in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.
The color settings for a user are saved in the registry key locations below.
1. Do step 2, 3, or 4 below for how you would like to open Personalization.
2. While on the desktop, open the Charms bar, click/tap on the Settings charm, click/tap on Personalization, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You could also press the Windows + I keys for this as well.
3. Right click or press and hold on an empty area of your desktop, click/tap on Personalize, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)
4. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Personalization icon, and go to step 5 below.
5. Click/tap on the Color button at the bottom, and do step 6 or 7 below depending on what theme you are using. (see screenshot below)
6. If You are Using a "Windows Default" Theme
NOTE: While using either one of these themes, you will be able to change the color of your window borders and taskbar.
A) You can either select a specific color option you want, or select the Automatic
(top left color box with fan) option to have a color chosen automatically based on the colors in your desktop background
. (see screenshots below)
B) If you selected a color
and not Automatic
, then move the sliders left and right to adjust the Color intensity
and color mixer
to how you like.
C) When finished, go to step 8
7. If You are Using a "High Contrast" Theme
NOTE: While using this theme, you will be able to change the color of your window borders, buttons, and text.
A) Click/tap on the Window, Foreground, or Background button on the right side of a item on the left side that you want to change the color for. (see screenshot below)
B) Select or set a color for the selected item, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
C) Repeat steps 7A-7B for any other item you would like to change the color of.
D) When finished, go to step 8 below.
8. Click/tap on the Save changes button, and close the Personalization window.