WinToUSB - Install and Run Windows on a USB Drive
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: By the Ocean
How to Install and Run Windows on a USB Drive using WinToUSB
WinToUSB is a free software that allows you to install and run Windows operating system on a USB hard drive or USB flash drive, using an ISO image or CD/DVD drive as the source of installation.
WinToUSB will go through most of the setup process you would perform on a regular install. This tutorial will only work for installations of Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1. This will not work for installations of Ubuntu, Linux, etc.
Stuff you'll need:
- WinToUSB (freeware)
- an empty external hard drive
- Windows ISO file or installation disc
1) Download and install WinToUSB from below. Once you have installed WinToUSB, open it.
2) You should now see this window below. Once you have completed the step(s) below, click "Next"
3) You should now see this window below. Once you have completed the step(s) below, click next.
This will delete all content on the external hard drive.
4) You will now select the partition and the boot partition on the external hard drive. Once you have completed the step(s) below, click "Next".
5) WinToUSB will now install the operating system onto your external hard drive. It could take roughly up to an hour to complete.
6) Once the installation has completed in WinToUSB, you will want to boot from the external hard drive through BIOS in order to complete the installation. On my BIOS, I repeatedly hit "Esc" upon startup for the boot menu. Your BIOS will probably differ from mine, so instructions may vary.
7) Once you have selected the external hard drive above, you will eventually be guided through the personalization portion of the setup. After that, you can add drivers, programs, files, etc.