How to Add or Remove Default Desktop Icons in Windows 8 and 8.1
This will show you how to add or remove the default Computer, User's Files (your user profile folder), Network, Recycle Bin, or Control Panel desktop icons for your user account in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1.
1. Do step 2, 3, or 4 below for how you would like to open Personalization.
2. Right click or press and hold on your desktop, click/tap on Personalize, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)
3. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Personalization icon, and go to step 5 below.
4. While on the desktop, open the Charms bar, click/tap on Settings, click/tap on Personalization, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshots below)
NOTE: You could also press the + I keys while on the desktop to open directly to the Desktop settings charm.
5. Click/tap on the Change desktop icons link in the left pane, close the Personalization window, and do steps 6 and/or 7 below for what you would like to do. (see screenshot below)
6. To Add a Default Desktop Icon
A) Check the icons that you want to have added on your desktop, and go to step 8. (see screenshot below step 8)
7. To Remove a Default Desktop Icon
A) Uncheck the icons that you want to have removed from your desktop, and go to step 8. (see screenshot below step 8)
8. When finished, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)