How to Update Windows Store Apps in Windows 8 and 8.1
This will show you how to check for and install any available updates from the Windows Store
for modern apps installed
in your user account in Windows 8
, Windows RT
, Windows 8.1
, and Windows RT 8.1
You'll get updates to apps if the app publisher and Microsoft agree to issue an update, even if you donít get automatic updates to Windows through Windows Update. The Windows Store will check for and download app updates automatically, even if youíre signed out of the Windows Store. You can choose whether or not you want to install an update when you sign in to the Windows Store. When you install an app on a new device or get an update, youíll receive the latest version of that app. That version might be different from the version you originally installed, and it might use additional capabilities besides those that were listed in the app listing page. To make sure youíre aware of what the most current version of the app can do, you should review the app listing page for any app before installing an update or additional copy. Installation will be your agreement to those terms.
1. Open your Start screen, and do either step 2 or 3 below for how you would like to check for Metro app updates.
2. To Check for App Updates in Store from Store Settings
A) Click/tap on the Store
app to open it. (see screenshot below step 3B)
B) While in the Store, open the Charms bar
, and click/tap on the Settings
C) In the Settings charm bar, click/tap on App updates
. (see screenshot below)
D) Click/tap on the Check for updates button, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)
3. To Check for App Updates in Store from Live Tiles
A) Verify that you have the live tile turned on
for the Store
app to receive updates displayed on it.
B) Look at the bottom right corner of the Store
app to see if there is a number there. If so, then click/tap on the Store app. The number represents how many apps that have an update available for them. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: If you do not have a number displayed, then it means that you do not have any app updates available, or that you have the live tile turned off for the Store app
C) At the top right corned of the opened Store, click/tap on the Updates (#) link if displayed, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)
4. If updates are available, right click on or swipe down on to select (check) the app updates that you want to install, and click/tap on the Install button at the bottom to install all selected app updates. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You can click/tap on a listed app update to see more details about it, then click on the back arrow to return to "App updates".
5. You will now notice the progress of the app updates under Installing apps. When it's finished, you can now close the Store if you like. (see screenshot below)
6. You will now also notice that the number at the bottom right corner of the Store app on your Start screen is gone indicating that there are no longer any app updates available. (see screenshot below)