The WinSxS folder is located in the Windows folder, for example c:\Windows\WinSxS
. Itís the location for Windows Component Store files. The Windows Component Store is used to support the functions needed for the customization and updating of Windows. Here are some examples of how the Windows Component Store files are used:
- Using Windows Update to install new component versions. This keeps systems secure and up-to-date.
- Enabling or disabling Windows features.
- Adding roles or features using Server Manager.
- Moving systems between different Windows Editions.
- System recovery from corruption or boot failures.
- Uninstalling problematic updates.
- Running programs using side-by-side assemblies.
Why is the WinSxS
folder so big? The short answer to this commonly asked question is that the component store (WinSxS folder) contains all the components that make-up Windows to allow you operate your system. These components are kept to rollback any problematic change or to repair a file that becomes corrupted.
The WinSxS folder isnít as large as it may appear at first glance because size calculations can include Windows binaries located elsewhere which makes the WinSxS folder seem larger than it really is.
For more information about the component store, see:
This tutorial will help show you how to determine the actual size of the component store
folder) and if you should clean it up in Windows 8.1
and Windows Server 2012 R2
You must be signed in as an administrator
to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.