How to Add or Remove Drives from a Storage Pool in Window 8
lets you group drives together in a storage pool. Then you can use pool capacity to create storage spaces.
- Storage spaces are virtual drives that appear in Windows Explorer. You can use them like any other drive, so itís easy to work with files on them.
- You can create large storage spaces and add more drives to them when you run low on pool capacity.
- If you have two or more drives in the storage pool, you can create storage spaces that won't be affected by a drive failureóor even the failure of two drives, if you create a three-way mirror storage space.
- You will be able to connect the added drives of a storage space to another Windows 8 computer or new installation of Windows 8 to have that Windows 8 see and use the storage space in it's storage pool as well.
This tutorial will show you how to add or remove drives from a storage pool
in Windows 8
You must be logged in as an administrator
to be able to do the steps in this tutorial. For more detailed information and FAQs about Storage Pools and Storage Spaces, see:
Virtualizing storage for scale, resiliency, and efficiency - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click on the Storage Spaces icon.
2. Click on the Change settings button if not grayed (faded) out. (see screenshot below)
3. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.
4. To Add a Hard Drive to a Storage Pool
A) In a listed previously created storage pool that you wanted to add a drive to, click on the Add drives link on the right side. (see screenshot below step 2)
B) Check the drives that you want to add to the storage pool, and click on the Add drives button. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You can click on the View files link of a listed drive to help see what is on the drive to make sure that you have the correct one.
5. To Remove a Hard Drive from a Storage Pool
A) To the right of a listed "Physical Drive" that you want to remove from a storage pool, click on the Remove link. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: A listed drive will not have a Remove link unless the storage space(s) that it was created with has already been deleted.
B) Click on the Remove drive button. (see screenshot below)
6. The drive has now been added or removed from the storage pool.
7. When finished, you could now close the Storage Spaces window.