| | Desktop - Restore Missing Tile on Windows 8 Start Screen
How to Restore Missing "Desktop" Tile on Start and Apps Screen in Windows 8 and 8.1
This tutorial will show you how to restore the default Desktop app tile on the Start and Apps screen if missing in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1.
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.
EXAMPLE: Desktop Tile on Start Screen in Windows 8
1. Open the "Apps" screen, and look for the Desktop app. (see screenshot below)
2. If the Desktop app is not there, then go to step 4 below.
3. If the Desktop app is listed, right click or press and hold on the Desktop app to check it, click/tap on Pin to Start, and go to step 11 below. (see screenshot below step 1)
4. Click/tap on the download button below to download the Desktop.zip file below.
5. Save the .zip file to your desktop, and unblock the .zip file.
6. Open the .zip file, extract (drag and drop) the Desktop shortcut to your desktop.
7. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, copy and paste the path below into Run, and click/tap on OK.
8. Copy and paste the Desktop shortcut (step 6) into the Programs folder (step 7). (see screenshot below step 10)
9. If prompted, click/tap on Continue and Yes (UAC) to approve the copy. (see screenshot below)
10. Right click or press and hold on the Desktop shortcut, and click/tap on Pin to Start. Close File Explorer. (see screenshot below)
11. Open your Start screen, scroll all the way to the right until you see the Desktop tile, then drag and drop the tile to where or what group you like on your Start screen.
Join Date: Jul 2009