Do you know how many non-store applications people have on their machines from Windows 7, not to mention that they may not even be developers (which would have a lot more)?
Unfortuantely, you're thinking along the line of Micorosoft and not a company that should have tested all these situations out BEFORE releasing it to RTM.
Again, for me, if Micorosoft doesn't get this fixed, they are going to lose a lot of customers.....
Bye bye Windows 8.... It's not worth the hassle of upgrading your machine if you are forced to lose all your exisitng non-Store applications....
You act like this is a wide spread problem? I'm not sure it is, it sounds like its just a glitch from doing the upgrade. If Brink had a magic answer don't you think he would have posted it? We all try to do the best we can to help someone, sometimes the answer isn't something someone wants to hear. Thats life. Its impossible to test every scenario, and every combination of installed apps and programs, for an upgrade scenario. Plus, the DP, CP, and RP are test builds with faults in them. Not something I personally would want to upgrade from. It sucks that you are having problems but don't take it out on us. Also just let me state that this post was not meant to be condescending or an attempt to flame you. I'm just trying to explain things the way I see them without making things any worse.
After the first day, I noticed that some Apps stopped working, Weather, News, Sports while others kept working (store, travel, contacts, EMail etc).
I started doing research on this and for close to 15-20 hours of research, I haven't found a solution (excluding Refresh, which I also refused to do so I wouldn't lose hours of work for the desktop). Also, doing a Refresh doesn't provide any guarantee that the issue won't come back.
I tried uninstalling them, reinstalling them, changing Antivirus, reverting to Defender, turning off/on the firewall, UAC thingy, tried other apps to see if it was only those 3, but some new apps showed the same behavior while others worked. I even tried to program my own app based on the samples they show us to debug it and see what would happen (hoping it would not work either) but it worked so I couldn't "debug" it.
I finally decided to revert to Win7 until perhaps the first Service Pack. So all this to let you know that I agree that Microsoft **needs** to get their act together and fix this asap. Heck, they also need to bring back the start menu (desktop) imho. Had to use ClassicShell (tried Start8 too).
I wish you good luck in finding a solution out there. I'll keep checking the sites to see if there's a resolution to this as it still bugs me to no end even if I don't have Win8 installed anymore... and *then* perhaps, I'll reinstall it, but dual boot next time.
I've reinstalled Win8 (dual boot) and traced all the steps one by one to see if anything broke when I either installed something, or changed a setting.
So far, everything works after moving folders, installing tons of software, changing permissions on files (when dual booting, it gets complicated ), etc.
I think I might have a clue as to what *might* be causing the blocked options but I haven't been able to recreate it yet.
1) I installed Waterfox (Firefox 64bit) and set it as my default browser... when I started IE again, the first time (3-4 days ago) it asked me if I wanted to keep using it -- and if I remember correctly, I said to keep using Waterfox... but this time (today) I said to keep using IE. Thing is, when I selected IE, Waterfox still thinks it's the default browser while IE also thinks it's the default. changing the settings in each programs don't change the behavior. I'm starting to wonder if the dialog box that showed up was related to default browser setting, or something related to the Metro UI.
So my guess is that some parts of IE are used in the "Metro UI" and for connecting to the Internet, so perhaps it's related to internet options and IE permissions.
If I find more info, I'll check back here to see if you're still having the problem or not. In any case, if I ever recreate the error and find a solutions, I'll post it in every forums I know of!
Hopefully the problem doesn't come back. Dual booting here too. I've moved my User folders like Documents, Pictures etc, but haven't had to mess with any folder permissions. Not yet anyway. Hard to say whats going on with WaterFox and Internet Explorer. Explorer and Internet Explorer are tied together somewhat and Windows 8 has the Metro IE. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that switching default browsers somehow messes some things up though.
I don't think the browser is the issue though. You would only need to have Internet Explorer 10 set as the default program (browser) to have the "Metro" IE10 app tile available on the Start screen. If IE10 is not the default browser, then you would have a desktop IE10 tile on the Start screen instead of the Metro one.
I tested this by having Firefox as the default browser instead of IE10, and the Store app still worked.
The version I have is not a test build. I have the full-blown RTM version. It just so happens that since I'm a developer and my company uses Microsoft products, I can download these items for my home use as well from MSDN.
Since this is the RTM version and since this is a Microsoft forum, you would kinda expect someone who is moderating the forums to be in close contact with Microsoft (in some way, shape or form), and find out what it going on with this product....