Background Info: We have started upgrading our Front desk PC's at our branches with Lenovo All In One Desktops. Specs differ from Branch to Branch ( Some Dual COres , Some i3's and some i5's . ) Depending on hoe bussy the branches are.
Some of our branches run Diginet Lines, some ADSL Lines, and some are on Fiber Lines.
We run a programme called Bluebird that is sitting on Hosted servers.
Scenario: At one branch we replaced a oldish XP Machine with a new Lenovo all in one i3, Running Win 8 Pro , Before we ship these to the branch we set it up on our side and remove all of the factory Lenovo Software (These confuse Users).
We went and setup this machine and all seemed to be working fine.....For a day or so........Then the branch started complaining about speed on the network. And it seems that speed is only effected when this machine is on and conected to the network.
This is the only Win8 PC at that branch.
We are getting complaints from a couple of more branches as we are rolling out these Win8 Machines.
NOTE: The branches complaining are the ones on Diginet Lines or V-Sat connections. Branches with Fiber or ADSL CONNECTIONS ARE FINE.
What we done so far: Turned off all outomatic updates. Turned of all programmes ( Adobe, java...ext..) that has some form of automatic updating. Dissabled and deleted all live tiles. There is no Anti-virus on these machines as they have no I-Net access and USB dissabled.
This is getting frustrating as it is only our Win8 Machines causing major slow down on these networks.....