Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


got message 'file is open in another program'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1



    Junior Member

    Join Date : Nov 2012
    Posts : 8
    Windows 8

    got message 'file is open in another program'


    hi

    in Windows-8 when i try to delete folder i got the message:
    "The action cant be completed because the folder or file in it is open in another program"
    i check and close all program, i dont see it in the task-manager
    (if i reset the computer, and try again it will delete it)


    another problem in Windows-8, when i copy, or delete folder - i cant see the action until i press F5 for refresh


    how i can fix those problems ?
    thanks,


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2
    jimbo45's Avatar

    Senior Member



    Join Date : Sep 2011
    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,216
    Linux Mint KDE 16, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server
    Iceland


    Quote Originally Posted by goldsoft View Post
    hi

    in Windows-8 when i try to delete folder i got the message:
    "The action cant be completed because the folder or file in it is open in another program"
    i check and close all program, i dont see it in the task-manager
    (if i reset the computer, and try again it will delete it)


    another problem in Windows-8, when i copy, or delete folder - i cant see the action until i press F5 for refresh


    how i can fix those problems ?
    thanks,
    Hi there
    this usually happens because a system or background service is running -- usually the culprit is something like Adobe updater or any of those little programs that might be running when you look at the tray on the right hand bottom of your screen --where the arrow is -- not quite to the complete right corner or you'll get the charms bar.

    Go into control panel and look at SERVICES -- disable or stop the ones that are using your program. (This is different from the APPLICATIONS as the problem sounds like it's a background service which is using the file(s) you want to delete not an APPLICATION.

    You'll need also to look at the task manager to see whats actually running - both applications and services.

    If you can't figure it out take these 3 screenshots and maybe it should be clear what to stop.

    1) Running services
    2) running applications
    3) name of program or file you want to delete.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3



    As requested

    Join Date : Nov 2012
    UK
    Posts : 177
    Win 8


    This can be a frustrating problem to resolve, even when you think you have shutdown everything and even tried a restart the error message persists. There's a useful little utility called Unlocker http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/ which I have found very useful on these occasions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4



    Power User

    Join Date : Nov 2012
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts : 1,029
    Windows 7 x64
    Indonesia


    You can try using Unlocker:
    Unlocker - CNET Download.com

    For problem 2, I suggest running SFC /SCANNOW.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5
    jimbo45's Avatar

    Senior Member



    Join Date : Sep 2011
    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,216
    Linux Mint KDE 16, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server
    Iceland


    Hi there
    you don't need these -- simply look at running SERVICES and stop the service, now delete the file. On reboot service will be gone too.

    In general don't add all these 3rd party bits and pieces to a running system unless you really have to. Genuine application programs are fine but system based stuff for example registry cleaners and the like -- I prefer my OS to be as 100% only Windows as possible.

    Windows file explorer doesn't always refresh on actions like delete etc -- it's a known problem but not sure what the problem is. It certainly auto refreshes when MOVING a file. I've looked on Ms TechNet and there are several discussions on this -- some people it works for other it doesn't.

    Can only suggest here that you apply all the latest updates. I don't think running scannow will help as nothing is actually broken,

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6



    Power User

    Join Date : Nov 2012
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts : 1,029
    Windows 7 x64
    Indonesia


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    you don't need these -- simply look at running SERVICES and stop the service, now delete the file. On reboot service will be gone too.

    In general don't add all these 3rd party bits and pieces to a running system unless you really have to. Genuine application programs are fine but system based stuff for example registry cleaners and the like -- I prefer my OS to be as 100% only Windows as possible.

    The scannow stuff is only of use is a system file say is CORRUPT -- this really has nothing to do with the OP's problem !!!!.
    Please at least UNDERSTAND what the functionality of scannow does before posting it as a totally irrelevant solution to the problem

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Wait, I suggest SCANNOW specifically for problem 2.
    I suggest SCANNOW because I think problem 2 wasn't services fault. Something in explorer was blocking it from displaying changes to folders.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7



    Power User

    Join Date : Nov 2012
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts : 1,029
    Windows 7 x64
    Indonesia


    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    This can be a frustrating problem to resolve, even when you think you have shutdown everything and even tried a restart the error message persists. There's a useful little utility called Unlocker UNLOCKER 1.9.1 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB which I have found very useful on these occasions.
    Wow! We posted at the same time! Jinx!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8
    jimbo45's Avatar

    Senior Member



    Join Date : Sep 2011
    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,216
    Linux Mint KDE 16, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server
    Iceland


    Hi there
    I've looked on Ms TechNet -- There are ongoing probs with "File Explorer" -- scannow won't fix this as nothing is actually broken yet.

    For some people times auto refresh works for example when moving a file othertimes it doesn't. Other people don't have a problem.

    What appears to be happening is in how the disk cache is refreshed -- often data is held in a cache to minimize disk accesses -- with an SSD of course disk access time isn't so important as it's extremely fast in any case and the cache can be quite small so it's flushed more regularly and you'll see the update almost immediately.

    With classical spinners the cache can be quite large so when you press F5 a forced refresh can occur. Without F5 it might take a while for the cache to empty so you won't see the new view until then.

    You can mess around with the various settings in Local policies in the administrative tools section but I'd just live with this and wait for a decent fix from Ms.

    You really don't want to disable the cache when using spinners -- Disk performance is usually the biggest bottleneck on Home PC's.

    I'm using an SSD and I can't replicate the delete problem on my PC so this confirms to me it's a Disk Cache handling problem.
    (Note the copied / deleted files don't have to be on the SSD - Windows handles disk caching).

    You might try also in control panel various options in Folder Options.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9



    Power User

    Join Date : Nov 2012
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts : 1,029
    Windows 7 x64
    Indonesia


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    I've looked on Ms TechNet -- There are ongoing probs with "File Explorer" -- scannow won't fix this as nothing is actually broken yet.
    Sometimes auto refresh works for example when moving a file othertimes it doesn't.

    What appears to be happening is in how the disk cache is refreshed -- often data is held in a cache to minimize disk accesses -- with an SSD of course disk access time isn't so important and the cache can be quite small so it's flushed more regularly and you'll see the update almost immediately. On classical spinners the cache can be quite large so when you press F5 a forced refresh can occur.

    You can mess around with the various settings in Local policies in the administrative tools section but I'd just live with this and wait for a decent fix from Ms.

    You really don't want to disable the cache when using spinners -- Disk performance is usually the biggest bottleneck on Home PC's.

    I'm using an SSD and I can't replicate the delete problem on my PC so this confirms to me it's a Disk Cache handling problem.
    (Note the copied / deleted files don't have to be on the SSD - Windows handles disk caching).

    You might try also in control panel various options in Folder Options.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Oops, my bad.
    Yup, HDD's are the tightest bottleneck in PC's nowadays.
    However, problem 2 never occurred on any computer that I used, including various school computers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10
    jimbo45's Avatar

    Senior Member



    Join Date : Sep 2011
    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,216
    Linux Mint KDE 16, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server
    Iceland


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    I've looked on Ms TechNet -- There are ongoing probs with "File Explorer" -- scannow won't fix this as nothing is actually broken yet.
    Sometimes auto refresh works for example when moving a file othertimes it doesn't.

    What appears to be happening is in how the disk cache is refreshed -- often data is held in a cache to minimize disk accesses -- with an SSD of course disk access time isn't so important and the cache can be quite small so it's flushed more regularly and you'll see the update almost immediately. On classical spinners the cache can be quite large so when you press F5 a forced refresh can occur.

    You can mess around with the various settings in Local policies in the administrative tools section but I'd just live with this and wait for a decent fix from Ms.

    You really don't want to disable the cache when using spinners -- Disk performance is usually the biggest bottleneck on Home PC's.

    I'm using an SSD and I can't replicate the delete problem on my PC so this confirms to me it's a Disk Cache handling problem.
    (Note the copied / deleted files don't have to be on the SSD - Windows handles disk caching).

    You might try also in control panel various options in Folder Options.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Oops, my bad.
    Yup, HDD's are the tightest bottleneck in PC's nowadays.
    However, problem 2 never occurred on any computer that I used, including various school computers.

    Hi there
    I remember school computers too -- but those computers were SO OLD that I doubt if the disks in those days even HAD caches's !!!

    In any case the response time usually was so bad that even editing 2 lines of text - and saving you could go and grab a sandwich while waiting for the save to complete -- those were the days.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
got message 'file is open in another program'
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
got message 'file is open in another program' General Support
Event Viewer Not Recording Program Open Performance & Maintenance
'Open Program' Event Performance & Maintenance
Explorer.exe doesn't allow multiple program windows open Performance & Maintenance
Open with - Change Default Program in Windows 8 Tutorials
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23