Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-e Wireless Adapter and Windows 8 Pro

  1. #1


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

    ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-e Wireless Adapter and Windows 8 Pro


    Recently I built a new gaming rig, and decided to give it wireless connectivity so I can have the computer sitting on a cooler area of my house. Now, I found I get lucky if I can even get a wireless connection on it, because I often have a lot of trouble getting the wireless to connect, usually Windows will say that the settings for the network saved on the computer don't match that of the actual network. I checked my laptop running Windows 7, and it connects fine there. The method of security is WPA-PSK and encryption is TKIP (seems to be only available form of encryption in router config). The laptop is configured with WPA-Personal and TKIP and is connecting fine. If I do the same with my new rig it refuses to connect still. If I try and reset everything ,then Windows will allow me connect, but when I try typing in the security key, it "is never correct". I have typed it countless times to make sure and Windows says it's "incorrect, please try again".I also tried updating the card drivers, to no avail.

    Edit: I recently got connectivity again on the desktop after much trial and error. However, if I leave the computer idle long enough, the automatic sleep knocks out the connection . If I have my laptop in the same place as this newly-built computer, it connects fine with a strong signal. On the desktop Windows states that the network is "hidden" and that could be the problem, yet it shows up in the list of networks?

    I've heard of a lot of wireless issues after Windows 8 upgrades. Woud've gone with Windows 7 until 8 has "matured" (i.e., had all serious bugs fixed), but my local computer shop was out of Windows 7 stock. Hope this won't be the new Vista all over again, don't get me wrong, I have no issues with the new Start screen or anything UI-releated, I just hope I didn't spend $150 on potentially unstable software... me'thinks a Windows 8 service pack won't be around for another 1-2 years to fix this if it's a bug of some sort.
    Last edited by Apocalypsing; 24 Nov 2012 at 11:05.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 21
    Windows 7 & 8 64-bit, Mac OSX 10.8.2


    Try changing the encryption key in the router's wireless settings. This will, of course, mean that you have to go through the procedure to "Connect" again with both the Windows 7 Laptop and the gaming PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypsing View Post
    Recently I built a new gaming rig, and decided to give it wireless connectivity so I can have the computer sitting on a cooler area of my house. Now, I found I get lucky if I can even get a wireless connection on it, because I often have a lot of trouble getting the wireless to connect, usually Windows will say that the settings for the network saved on the computer don't match that of the actual network. I checked my laptop running Windows 7, and it connects fine there. The method of security is WPA-PSK and encryption is TKIP (seems to be only available form of encryption in router config). The laptop is configured with WPA-Personal and TKIP and is connecting fine. If I do the same with my new rig it refuses to connect still. If I try and reset everything ,then Windows will allow me connect, but when I try typing in the security key, it "is never correct". I have typed it countless times to make sure and Windows says it's "incorrect, please try again".I also tried updating the card drivers, to no avail.

    Edit: I recently got connectivity again on the desktop after much trial and error. However, if I leave the computer idle long enough, the automatic sleep knocks out the connection . If I have my laptop in the same place as this newly-built computer, it connects fine with a strong signal. On the desktop Windows states that the network is "hidden" and that could be the problem, yet it shows up in the list of networks?

    I've heard of a lot of wireless issues after Windows 8 upgrades. Woud've gone with Windows 7 until 8 has "matured" (i.e., had all serious bugs fixed), but my local computer shop was out of Windows 7 stock. Hope this won't be the new Vista all over again, don't get me wrong, I have no issues with the new Start screen or anything UI-releated, I just hope I didn't spend $150 on potentially unstable software... me'thinks a Windows 8 service pack won't be around for another 1-2 years to fix this if it's a bug of some sort.
    TKIP encryption is not meant to work with wireless n and is outdated. With Windows 8 drivers you will need to use AES encryption with WPA2 security. If your router does not support AES then you should update the firmware on the router.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. #4


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    So I changed the security key, then the desktop was able to connect. I ended up changing it back to the original since I don't want to go through the hassle of updating the key on 20 or so devices. Even after I changed it back the connection was still working, which was great. I also had to restart the desktop a few times, and after these restarts it automatically connected to the network fine. Then just recently I went to take a 30 or so minute break, came back, computer was in sleep mode, turned it back on, no connection any more, same bulls*** network config doesn't match problem.

    I will look at a router firmware update, the last time I tried to do that it was a troublesome registration process, though. My router is a Netgear DG834PN, running 1.03.18 firmware, latest seems to be 1.03.39.

    And my router is restrictive with security choices it seems, so no WPA2:
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 8
    windows 8

    Cant connect to this network


    I bought an Asus G75vw couple days back with windows 8. Everything was working fine except that i couldn't connect to my wireless router. It had a WEP encryption. Kept on getting "Can't connect to this network", troubleshooting didnt help either. Then I updated all drivers from Asus support website and it connected after a restart. I was quite delighted but the next day again i got the cant connect message.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 8
    windows 8


    And i have changed my router setting to wpa2-psk, still no luck :-(
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    So I updated the router firmware, and it gave me a few new options for security. I switched the security type to the now-listed WPA2-PSK. After that, my connection issues were gone, for over a day, until only a few minutes ago while I doing some singleplayer gaming.

    And there is no encryption algorithm choice still after that firmware update; I'm stuck with TKIP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypsing View Post
    So I updated the router firmware, and it gave me a few new options for security. I switched the security type to the now-listed WPA2-PSK. After that, my connection issues were gone, for over a day, until only a few minutes ago while I doing some singleplayer gaming.

    And there is no encryption algorithm choice still after that firmware update; I'm stuck with TKIP.
    So the firmware helped but it's still not a stable connection.

    If you can post a screen shot of the results from the Xirrus WiFi inspector I may be able to spot other potential problems.
    It may just be a channel crossover problem at this point.

    Wi-Fi Inspector | Xirrus
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 7
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit


    I fixed the issue (kinda) by shutting down the desktop and then rebooting the router while the desktop was off. But in doing so, it broke wi-fi access for my parents' Android handsets. Hopefully the problem on the desktop is gone for good. I will check out that software (Wifi Inspector) anyway, thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypsing View Post
    I fixed the issue (kinda) by shutting down the desktop and then rebooting the router while the desktop was off. But in doing so, it broke wi-fi access for my parents' Android handsets. Hopefully the problem on the desktop is gone for good. I will check out that software (Wifi Inspector) anyway, thanks.
    Yes after rebooting the router you will lose all of your wireless connection settings so you will need to go into the routers wireless settings page and redefine the wireless settings.

    If you can give me the exact model number and version number of your router I can look for DD-WRT firmware as it seems your router doesn't have any up to date support with the lack of AES encryption.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-e Wireless Adapter and Windows 8 Pro

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 8.1 app for Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter
Read more...
Windows 8 News
Windows 8 Wireless Adapter Dropping?
This is a 6 month Old Gateway Laptop, Windows 8 preinstalled. Broadcom Network Adapter. I have a Buffalo WZR-300GB Router (2.4mHz, with 802.1/ 11g/b/n) all working. There are 4 wired and 3 wireless computers on the network. Wife's Gateway (Windows 8) is the ONLY one with dropped connections....
Network & Sharing
Advice Buying a Windows 8 USB dual band Wireless Adapter?
I would appreciate some help deciding on the best purchase of a USB wireless adapter for my Windows 8 computer. I use a Netgear WNDR3700v4 dual band Router, but sadly have discovered that my Windows 8 computer's network adapter only receives 2.4Ghz. Thanks to our cordless phones - I lose the...
Drivers & Hardware
Wireless adapter Windows 8 incompatability?
I just got a computer that comes with Windows 8 and I'm trying to get on the internet with the wireless adapter I was using on the old computer but I keep getting an error message. I am able to install it from the disc but when I go to run the program it says "Can't load ProcNICs.dll" This is the...
Network & Sharing
Windows 8 Slow Internet Wireless Adapter
Ok, this is my first post, hope this is the right place to post this. I have noticed that my internet speed is very slow in Windows 8, other people have somewhat the same problem, however mine is noticeably slower. In Windows 7 I got 330Kb/s Download and 40Kb/s Upload, which is my max, but in...
Network & Sharing
wireless adapter
which wireless adapter is cheap and compatible to use on a windows 8 desktop? i have recently purchased a new windows 8 desktop but as i don't know much about desktops i thought they had built in wireless like a laptop, my computer is in my bedroom and my modem is downstairs, this is why i need...
Network & Sharing
wireless adapter
Anyone having problems connecting wireless? I have a Netgear WNA 1100 wireless adapter and when I use the push n play feature to link my router & computer it crashes my machine with a irq error.
Network & Sharing

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook