Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Windows 8 x64 only?

  1. #31


    Posts : 502
    Vanilla 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by saiarcot895 View Post
    The only downside of this is if 32-bit people want to stay 32-bit and Apple is willing to stay 32-bit, then people will switch to Apple.

    Then they would be more than welcome to stay living in the past and allow the rest of the world to move on

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Quote Originally Posted by Azural View Post
    Oh, I know that. But I believe the lowest amount of RAM 7 x64 will install on is 2GB. Which I am running it on.
    Not true...I can run 7 x64 limited to 512MB on VM and VB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Quote Originally Posted by luchifal View Post
    if so happens micro soft will get less selling market i suppose.............
    Your thinking of the market RIGHT NOW...This is the best decision that they could make...part of being a business and remaining a competivite one is innovation...Apple already has embraced x64-bit (again...) and their market share didn't nose dive when first round intel macs running x86 weren't able to go to upcoming Snow Leopard. You can't make every body happy...hell if people's argument's about x86 here were valid than technology itself would not even exist...progress and change has to occur: it is a fact of life and if you want to remain with the times than that is your only choice
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. #34


    Posts : 10
    Windows 7 x64 x 3, Hyper V R2, Ubuntu, RHEL, OS X.. Too many


    Quote Originally Posted by sajarcot895
    The only downside of this is if 32-bit people want to stay 32-bit and Apple is willing to stay 32-bit, then people will switch to Apple.
    Yeah... Apple already went solely x64. They dropped support for 32 bit in their latest release of OS X. On top of that, Microsoft will totally drop support for 32 bit in their next OS release. This was one of the main reasons they started pushing VM's with XP on it... or XPM. They want to get people's 20 year old apps running in a VM so they can drag their VM with them the next 20 years instead of sticking with the same OS for the next 20 years. Backward compatibility has been the biggest blessing/problem for Microsoft It's helped their Market share get to where it is today, but it's also slowed down their ability to really make major changes to their OS. If they reach a point where they can run all major things in older VM's they could totally revamp their OS with the possibility of people actually using it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Orange Park, FL
    Posts : 26
    Windows 7 Build 7232 x64 (clean install)

    64-bit all the way...


    To make a long story short, Windows 8 should be x64 only, and people with hardware inadequacies could stick with Windows 7 x86...

    The hardware base is already there, and the software base wouldn't take that long to catch-up...

    Why hinder those who are willing to make the jump to a totally 64-bit world with Windows 8, as long as there is continued support for those left in the 32-bit realm of existence...

    My two cents worth, Marvin
    Last edited by Charbroil57; 06 Aug 2009 at 23:13.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Quote Originally Posted by matt0978 View Post
    i've read strong rumors to suggest Windows 8 is gonna solely be a 64bit OS, what's all you's opinions on this?
    if windows 8 gonna be only x64 OS then im sure windows 8 will be same as early vista days with less/poor reception!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Quote Originally Posted by raj1402 View Post
    if windows 8 gonna be only x64 OS then im sure windows 8 will be same as early vista days with less/poor reception!!!
    You make a good point.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38

    Windows 8 will be x64 only


    Windows 8 will have to be x64 only, because 7 and Vista are already pushing 32-bit to its limits. If Windows 8 has anything new to add in terms of functionality, it will need more horsepower than a 32-bit CPU can provide. Just take a look at how much RAM it takes for Vista to run properly, Vista and 7 require at least 4, even 8 gigs of RAM before they run completely smooth. If Windows 8 is even twice as demanding in terms of RAM (most Windows transitions have historically required 4 to 8 times as much RAM), that would require 8 to 16 gigs of RAM, while 32-bit can't even fully address 4 gigs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    United States
    Posts : 104
    Windows 7 Pro. x64


    Quote Originally Posted by neptunenick View Post
    Windows 8 will have to be x64 only, because 7 and Vista are already pushing 32-bit to its limits. If Windows 8 has anything new to add in terms of functionality, it will need more horsepower than a 32-bit CPU can provide. Just take a look at how much RAM it takes for Vista to run properly, Vista and 7 require at least 4, even 8 gigs of RAM before they run completely smooth. If Windows 8 is even twice as demanding in terms of RAM (most Windows transitions have historically required 4 to 8 times as much RAM), that would require 8 to 16 gigs of RAM, while 32-bit can't even fully address 4 gigs.
    Sorry but my opinion is this;

    Until over 70% of computer owners have a 64-bit compatible machine, they will continue to market 32-bit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40

    What about DirectX 10?


    Does anyone see Windows 8 requiring a DirectX10 graphics card?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Windows 8 x64 only?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook