Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Problem with installing win 8 (dual boot)

  1. #1

    Problem with installing win 8 (dual boot)


    after i create a separate partition and then tun the installation from the reboot. When it aska to choose the drive, i choose my newly created one (ive tried with unallocated and then formatting it) and i get the following error message:

    "Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. This partition contains one or more dynamic volumes that are not supported for installation"

    What does this mean?

    Thanks in advance =)

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    First, "Welcome to the Win 8 Forums."

    I have read elsewhere that some others are having the same problem. Not sure as to why. At present I am using 8 in a dual boot, albeit it is dual booted with two internal HDDs.

    Stick around one of the other members will probably be able to help you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    First, "Welcome to the Win 8 Forums."

    I have read elsewhere that some others are having the same problem. Not sure as to why. At present I am using 8 in a dual boot, albeit it is dual booted with two internal HDDs.

    Stick around one of the other members will probably be able to help you.
    haha thanks =)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. #4


    Posts : 21,816
    64-bit Windows 10


    Hello Roid, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    That error means that the hard drive (disk #) that you want to install Windows 8 on has a dynamic volume (partition) on it, or is a dynamic disk.


    Since Windows will not be able to boot if you were able to install it on dynamic volume/disk, it will not let you install it to it. Instead Windows must be installed on a basic disk or partition.

    To fix this, you will need to convert the dynamic volume or disk back to a basic disk using one of the options in the tutorial below. If you cannot lose the data on the partition, then OPTION FOUR in the tutorial may work best to prevent it.

    Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk - Windows 7 Forums

    Once fully converted to a basic disk, you should be able to install Windows 8 on it.

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello Roid, and welcome to Eight Forums.

    That error means that the hard drive (disk #) that you want to install Windows 8 on has a dynamic volume (partition) on it, or is a dynamic disk.


    Since Windows will not be able to boot if you were able to install it on dynamic volume/disk, it will not let you install it to it. Instead Windows must be installed on a basic disk or partition.

    To fix this, you will need to convert the dynamic volume or disk back to a basic disk using one of the options in the tutorial below. If you cannot lose the data on the partition, then OPTION FOUR in the tutorial may work best to prevent it.

    Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk - Windows 7 Forums

    Once fully converted to a basic disk, you should be able to install Windows 8 on it.

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    can i convert back to a dynamic afterward?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 21,816
    64-bit Windows 10


    Sorry, but no. If you do, you will not be able to boot Windows 8.

    I wouldn't recommend using dynamic volumes or disks anyways. They are basically just a slower software version of RAID.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Sorry, but no. If you do, you will not be able to boot Windows 8.

    I wouldn't recommend using dynamic volumes or disks anyways. They are basically just a slower software version of RAID.
    i don't think i can use this method as i only have one disk (HDD) in my computer?

    It there any way to split that into a different disk?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 21,816
    64-bit Windows 10


    Please go ahead and post a screenshot of your Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) showing all of your drive's layout. This will better help determine what options you may have to split the disk.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    here:



    Thanks for all your help =)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 21,816
    64-bit Windows 10


    Oh boy. That's not good. Quite frankly I'm surprised that you are able to still boot into Windows 7.

    Did you already create a set of OEM factory recovery discs?

    If not, what brand is your computer, and is this a desktop or laptop? You should create a set to be safe to be able also use it to do a factory restore of Windows 7 if needed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Problem with installing win 8 (dual boot)

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Installing Windows 7 to dual boot
hello, I have new pc that has windows 8 pro installed. I would like to dual boot with windows 7 because certain software for work is not compatible with win 8. I was reading that I can create a vhd from windows 8, boot to the windows 7 installation media and install win 7 to the vhd, then I have...
General Support
No dual boot menu after installing 8 with win 7 home
I did a clean install of the Win 8 Pro upgrade on an unused disc on my wife's Win 7 Home PC. The 8 installation went fine but at reboot, I don't have the option for selecting 'an other OS'. Now, it always boots into 8. I can go into the BIOS boot order to select the Win 7 disc to load first, but...
Installation & Setup
Need help installing another OS in dual boot with windows8
Hey all... As i have stated in my topic, i need to install opensuse in dual boot with windows8. I have just purchased samsung NP550P5C-S03IN, series 5 laptop with core i7, it came with windows 8. Ok so now i'm having both usb boot device and even the bootable dvd of opensuse 12.2, but even after...
Installation & Setup
Problems installing windows 8 as dual boot
Help! I have a gigabyte z77 mother board and have windows 7 64 bit installed on a crucial M4 128bit ssd. I now want to install a full version of windows 8 64bit so I can dual boot between the two. Went through creating a partition perfectly fine, and then popped the CD and...
Installation & Setup
Installing dual boot from Win XP Pro
Greetings, I am waiting for my Win 8 disks and want to set up dual Boot with Win8 on a new 240Gb SSD. All the tutorials show how to do that from Win7 or Vista but do not mention XP. Can a follow the tutorial when installing from XP? I don't want to upgrade XP, just dual boot either Win8 or XP....
Installation & Setup
Installing Windows 8 as dual boot...
I've been playing with Windows 8 RP using VirtualBox. But now I'd like to install it on my Windows 7 machine in a dual boot scenario. My box has one hard drive with two partitions. The first partition is C: and the other is D:. I assume I can install Windows 8 on the second partition and leave...
Installation & Setup
Installing Win 8 dual boot with Win7 --- Problems
I have created a 'New Simple Volume' (Drive D) and formatted it. In C.Drive, installed Windows 7. While installing Windows 8, I selected D.Drive. But the Windows says "The partition contains one or more Dynamic Volumes that are not supported for installation". All my Drivers are Dynamic drives. But...
Installation & Setup

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook