Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Trying to put Windows 8 on a Windows 7 computer.

  1. #1


    Posts : 4
    Windows 7

    Trying to put Windows 8 on a Windows 7 computer.


    I'm having trouble trying to use an Acer recovery disc that has Windows 8 on it that Acer sent me. Long story short I had to put Windows 7 on my computer and deleted all of 8 which came with the OS, when the boot loader corrupted. Acer sent me a recovery disc to put 8 back on but when i boot to the disc i get the message "Please boot this recovery disc using legacy BIOS mode" and when i go to legacy BIOS mode it tells me the disc can only be used in UEFI mode. It also will not let me remove secure boot.

    Any help would be great.

    Thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2




    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Welcome to EightForums.

    Boot the DVD in UEFI mode.

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 1,058
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Do you have the owner's manual that describes the factory recovery process? Since you don't say which model you have, I guessed at an Aspire V5-571. It talks about enabling the F12 boot menu if you have not done so. This process is for using recovery media on a flash drive, so not really sure if it would be the same.

    When you installed Windows 7, did you wipe the drive and install it as an MBR configured system? If so, you may need to wipe the drive and try again. I don't think the factory restore would be able to change the drive configuration from MBR to GPT.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 4
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    Do you have the owner's manual that describes the factory recovery process? Since you don't say which model you have, I guessed at an Aspire V5-571. It talks about enabling the F12 boot menu if you have not done so. This process is for using recovery media on a flash drive, so not really sure if it would be the same.

    When you installed Windows 7, did you wipe the drive and install it as an MBR configured system? If so, you may need to wipe the drive and try again. I don't think the factory restore would be able to change the drive configuration from MBR to GPT.
    Its the Acer M5-481PT but i think its similar to the V5 model. I'm able to boot the recovery disc when I change the bios over to UEFI mode from legacy mode which I run Windows 7 in. I get 2 options when the recovery manager loads, one to restore computer to factory default and another to restore the OS. Both options tell me to boot to legacy mode and when I boot to legacy mode the recovery manager will not start, which that part makes sense.

    Someone at Acer told me a similar thing, to just wipe all of 7 clean and try it but I wanted to confirm with you guys before doing that since it would suck to lose everything without this working. When I installed 7, i wiped everything from 8 so I think i installed it as MBR configured system. Would I be able to use my 7 disc to wipe the drive, and then insert the recovery disc to reformat it and install?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec




  5. #5


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by kushr88 View Post
    Someone at Acer told me a similar thing, to just wipe all of 7 clean and try it but I wanted to confirm with you guys before doing that since it would suck to lose everything without this working.
    Your data need backing up off computer no matter what kind of installation you are going to do--including a refresh or a reset (I know you are not contemplating either of these at this point).

    One good way to clean your drive is to use the first four steps of SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation to clean your drive. Be sure you use the clean all command.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1,058
    Windows 8.1 x64


    I suppose I disagree with Znod as to using the Clean all command, unless I was going to give the drive away. The basic Clean command will set the drive up in a RAW condition and allow for the install and is much quicker.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 4
    Windows 7


    So in order to access DISKPART i need to do it through my Windows 7 installer disc? Why must I do this through the command line instead of using the screen in the 7 installation that allows me to delete partitions? Sorry if these are dumb questions, i've been out of the tech world for awhile and have no idea whats going with Win 8. Also is it necessary to make a System Reserved partition?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8




    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by kushr88 View Post
    So in order to access DISKPART i need to do it through my Windows 7 installer disc? Why must I do this through the command line instead of using the screen in the 7 installation that allows me to delete partitions? Sorry if these are dumb questions, i've been out of the tech world for awhile and have no idea whats going with Win 8. Also is it necessary to make a System Reserved partition?
    You can you wish to, make sure delete all partition.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 1,058
    Windows 8.1 x64


    You need to use Diskpart to clean the drive and set it back to a Not Initialized condition. Just removing the partitions will not remove configuration data on the drive.

    On normal installs, on the Partitions page or the 2 prior pages, you can use Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window. Diskpart can be run from there. But if you do, you may need to "Refresh" the window, or reboot to make sure the drive is seen correctly.

    While you are in Diskpart, you can use the lis dis command and see if the drive is configured as GPT or not. The asterisk on the right of the listing will mean it is already GPT. If it is not there, the drive is MBR.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 4
    Windows 7


    Yea i guess if I did it through the Windows 7 partition screen I wouldn't be able to delete the MBR state from the drive. I'll try it tonight through diskpart tonight using the Win 7 installation disc then once its clean i'll try the Acer recovery disc again. Thanks guys, i'll let you know how it goes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trying to put Windows 8 on a Windows 7 computer.
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
help with my new windows 8 computer General Support
Take Windows 7 from Computer 1 and install to Computer 2 Installation & Setup
Installing Windows 8 and 7 to new computer Installation & Setup
will my computer run windows 8 General Support
Computer will not boot into Windows General Support
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook