Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Dual Booting Windows 8 with Windows 7

  1. #1


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 Pro AND Windows 7 Home Premium

    Dual Booting Windows 8 with Windows 7


    Okay, so I have a Lenovo V570, and it has two internal hard drives (See picture)
    would it be a bad idea to install windows 8 to the lenovo drive? (Correction! It's just one drive. The one I am talking about is a partition of the original C drive!)
    Because I was going to dual boot it on one hard drive but I have so much space on the other, I didn't know if that was a better idea. Please Help!
    Thanks!
    ~Kozhaikin
    Click image for larger version
    Last edited by Kozhaikin; 25 Dec 2012 at 02:37 PM.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2



    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,050
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    The best way to dual boot is to place the two OS's on different drives.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 Pro AND Windows 7 Home Premium


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The best way to dual boot is to place the two OS's on different drives.
    So it would be better and the second hard drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4



    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,050
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by Kozhaikin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The best way to dual boot is to place the two OS's on different drives.
    So it would be better and the second hard drive?
    Yes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec




  5. #5


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by Kozhaikin View Post
    Okay, so I have a Lenovo V570, and it has two internal hard drives (See picture)
    would it be a bad idea to install windows 8 to the lenovo drive? Because I was going to dual boot it on one hard drive but I have so much space on the other, I didn't know if that was a better idea. Please Help!
    There is a dual boot tutorial in the forum tutorials. I'm in an awkward position to find it for you right now. So, go to the tutorials and look around; you'll find it (or them) easily. Use two drives.



    Click image for larger version
    [/QUO]
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8 Pro AND Windows 7 Home Premium


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozhaikin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The best way to dual boot is to place the two OS's on different drives.
    So it would be better and the second hard drive?
    Yes.
    So as it turns out, that isn't a second hard drive, its just a partition of the first. Does that make a difference?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7



    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,050
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by Kozhaikin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozhaikin View Post
    So it would be better and the second hard drive?
    Yes.
    So as it turns out, that isn't a second hard drive, its just a partition of the first. Does that make a difference?
    No. The Partition is basically the same thing as having two drives. Good Luck. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP


    Quote Originally Posted by Kozhaikin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozhaikin View Post
    So it would be better and the second hard drive?
    Yes.
    So as it turns out, that isn't a second hard drive, its just a partition of the first. Does that make a difference?
    Some, not sure if all, have had trouble accessing the user files on the other partition of a Win/Win dual boot. The problem should not exist with two drives. I also prefer to keep the booting more independent by unplugging the first installed drive when installing on the second.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9




    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    Welcome to EightForums.

    In your screenshot, you only showing partitions, not Physical HD Drive.

    Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?

    Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Dual Booting Windows 8 with Windows 7
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Dual-booting Windows 8 and XP Installation & Setup
Dual-Booting Windows 8 and Windows Vista Installation & Setup
Dual Booting Windows 7 and Windows 8 Installation & Setup
Help dual booting Windows 8 Installation & Setup
Dual Booting Windows 8 Release Preview and XP on two Hard Drives Installation & Setup
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook