Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

Windows 8 Install Disk

  1. #1


    United States
    Posts : 654
    Windows 8.1 Pro, iOS 7.1, Elementary OS

    Windows 8 Install Disk


    I would like to find a method for creating a Windows 8 Install Disk after the upgrade. I had a Windows 7 bootable installation disk on a USB flash drive. Is there anyway to get a Windows 8 installation ISO or DVD cheap? (or free? )
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2




    Posts : 5,592
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1


    You have a option when you download to Install, make ISO, or make USB pendrive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3



    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 1,836
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro X64


    Download Win 8 again (use the link in the Email you got) as theog said and have it create a .iso file.
    Download and run Universal USB Installer Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux.
    Select Windows 8 from the dropdown box, point to the .iso and your flash drive (4+GB), press Start and in 10-20 minutes you have Win 8 installable from a flash drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4



    Posts : 5,241
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I tried the upgrade - had a few issues.

    Leaving that aside - I did still have the hidden ESD directory on my partition.

    Everything you need is in there.

    No point in downloading it again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec




  5. #5



    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 1,836
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro X64


    The hidden ESD directory is created by the upgrade process when you don't create an iso, right? Gues that's why I don't have one as I created the .iso then put it on a flash drive to install from.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6



    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 1,836
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro X64
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7



    Posts : 5,241
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    The files should still be there, I created an iso first - to have look at it. Then did the upgrade - the ESD directory is still there. - just make an iso.

    Use oscdimg or cdimage or mkisofs or I believe imgburn will do it , etc.

    Should be very easy for forum regulars.

    The drawback to the iso - whichever way you make - there is no install.wim . Instead there is an install.esd.

    It is heavily compressed so the download is smaller - problem is you can't do much with it except install. I haven't figured out how to customise that.

    If you want a proper install.wim - either get hold of the msdn .iso, or make your own install.wim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails win8iso.jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    United States
    Posts : 654
    Windows 8.1 Pro, iOS 7.1, Elementary OS


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I tried the upgrade - had a few issues.

    Leaving that aside - I did still have the hidden ESD directory on my partition.

    Everything you need is in there.

    No point in downloading it again.
    How to access?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    United States
    Posts : 654
    Windows 8.1 Pro, iOS 7.1, Elementary OS


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    The files should still be there, I created an iso first - to have look at it. Then did the upgrade - the ESD directory is still there. - just make an iso.

    Use oscdimg or cdimage or mkisofs or I believe imgburn will do it , etc.

    Should be very easy for forum regulars.

    The drawback to the iso - whichever way you make - there is no install.wim . Instead there is an install.esd.

    It is heavily compressed so the download is smaller - problem is you can't do much with it except install. I haven't figured out how to customise that.

    If you want a proper install.wim - either get hold of the msdn .iso, or make your own install.wim
    How do I make the install.wim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrantFitz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    I tried the upgrade - had a few issues.

    Leaving that aside - I did still have the hidden ESD directory on my partition.

    Everything you need is in there.

    No point in downloading it again.
    How to access?
    The directory is C:\ESD. You can see it if you configure your computer to view hidden files.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8 Install Disk
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Fresh Install - Disk Errors and DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Solved A CLEAN install of windows 8 upgrade after disk wipe. Installation & Setup
Solved Unable to install on GPT disk Installation & Setup
Pre-formatted disk install --- be careful of THIS problem (W8 RP) Installation & Setup
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook