Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


NumLock on Startup with Windows 8.1 Upgrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1
    Wynona's Avatar

    Member

    Join Date : Jan 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 972
    Windows 8.1
    USA us texas

    NumLock on Startup with Windows 8.1 Upgrade


    After having exhausted every known solution to the NumLock key actually working on Windows 8 start up, the next question to ask those who have installed the Windows 8.1 upgrade is:

    Will the NumLock key work on Windows 8.1 start up?

    Thanks for any help.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2



    New Member

    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1

    No Num Lock on Boot


    I have tried every thing I find, I did the registry edit on keyindicator and changed it to 2147483650. this had worked for me on Windows 8 but not 8.1 I also read that I need to have a local account for this to work, now that I haven't tried yet but I like having it attached to my live account, isn't that one of the big perks of windows 8? Also my BIOS doesn't give me an option for num lock so the answer isn't in there. After the regedit I have num lock enabled when I unlock the PC but not on the lock screen. Please this is my only complaint with 8.1 so far can any one help?

    Edit: I finally found something that fixed it... dont know how I didnt see this suggestion before but I had to turn off Fast Start. With that off Num Lock is on at boot... hooray!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3
    Wynona's Avatar

    Member

    Join Date : Jan 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 972
    Windows 8.1
    USA us texas


    Welcome Donnelly.

    I have fought with the num lock until there's no fight left in me. What is strange is that it works on my Win 7/Win 8 dual boot system, but it won't work on my brand new HP system.

    The only thing I can guess is that I have "regular" BIOS on the dual boot PC and UEFI on this one. I built the old one and bought this one . . . maybe if I had installed Windows 8 myself, it would work. <hehehe>

    Quite frankly, I'm not willing to trade off my fast startup for num lock, since it takes only one touch and num lock is on for the duration. I just whack the num lock, type in my password and I'm good to go. A lot faster than a slow bootup.

    BTW, if you've solved your problem to your satisfaction, why not let your mouse whack that "Mark as Solved" button. He'll enjoy it immensely.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4
    Wynona's Avatar

    Member

    Join Date : Jan 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 972
    Windows 8.1
    USA us texas


    Quote Originally Posted by Donnelly326 View Post
    I have tried every thing I find, I did the registry edit on keyindicator and changed it to 2147483650. this had worked for me on Windows 8 but not 8.1 I also read that I need to have a local account for this to work, now that I haven't tried yet but I like having it attached to my live account, isn't that one of the big perks of windows 8? Also my BIOS doesn't give me an option for num lock so the answer isn't in there. After the regedit I have num lock enabled when I unlock the PC but not on the lock screen. Please this is my only complaint with 8.1 so far can any one help?

    Edit: I finally found something that fixed it... dont know how I didnt see this suggestion before but I had to turn off Fast Start. With that off Num Lock is on at boot... hooray!
    Hi again Donelly:

    First, turn fast start back on . . .

    I finally found a better fix than turning off FastStart (it didn't work for me): Left Alt+Left Shift+NumLock > When asked if you want to use Mouse Keys click on Yes, shut down the computer and restart. Hopefully, NumLock will now be on at bootup; if it isn't, you can always go back and turn off fast start.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5



    New Member

    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Posts : 1
    windows 8.1
    USA us kansas


    Hello, I have a hp with windows 8.1, and I did everything that you have posted, and I don't know if that was working, but after all I let the desktop with all the steps that you have posted, and I add one more thing that it really works in my pc.... I went to ease of access center, click in set up mouse, and I didn't touch nothing there, except where said USE MOUSE KEY WHEN NUMBER LOCK IS... I CLICK OFF.
    I hope that will help
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6
    Wynona's Avatar

    Member

    Join Date : Jan 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 972
    Windows 8.1
    USA us texas


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona;377601

    Hi again Donelly:

    First, turn fast start back on . . .

    I finally found a better fix than turning off FastStart (it didn't work for me): [B
    Left Alt+Left Shift+NumLock > [/B]When asked if you want to use Mouse Keys click on Yes, shut down the computer and restart. Hopefully, NumLock will now be on at bootup; if it isn't, you can always go back and turn off fast start.
    Well, that was a bummer. The "solution" stopped working sometime later, after this thread was forgotten. I'm back to square one on NumLock.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7
    Wynona's Avatar

    Member

    Join Date : Jan 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 972
    Windows 8.1
    USA us texas


    Quote Originally Posted by AgustinaCA View Post
    Hello, I have a hp with windows 8.1, and I did everything that you have posted, and I don't know if that was working, but after all I let the desktop with all the steps that you have posted, and I add one more thing that it really works in my pc.... I went to ease of access center, click in set up mouse, and I didn't touch nothing there, except where said USE MOUSE KEY WHEN NUMBER LOCK IS... I CLICK OFF.
    I hope that will help
    I tried your solution, but it didn't work for me. Back to the drawing board.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8



    Member

    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 207
    WinVista, Win7, Win8.1, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17
    USA us wyoming


    Has the BIOS setting for the NumLock been changed?
    Here's an example of an HP computer's BIOS, others may look different:
    Attached Images  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9
    Wynona's Avatar

    Member

    Join Date : Jan 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 972
    Windows 8.1
    USA us texas


    Yep; but this is an HP system and the tech rep I spoke with told me NumLock is off for security reasons. Which I find absolutely stupid, because all one has to do is press the NumLock button and it's on!

    At any rate, it has to be something much deeper than BIOS or UEFI.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10
    Edwin's Avatar

    Senior Member



    Join Date : Apr 2013
    Posts : 1,557
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Canada ca ontario


    @ Wynona:
    Try this - open the On Screen Keyboard, click Options, check 'Turn on numeric keypad' and OK then set NumLock there. Worth a try maybe.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
NumLock on Startup with Windows 8.1 Upgrade
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Numlock - silly little error General Support
BSOD when I do shutdown and then startup (Fast Startup on) BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Windows 8 can't startup with 4GB of RAM. Installation & Setup
Startup Options - Choose a Default OS to Run at Startup in Windows 8 Tutorials
windows 8 startup General Support
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23