1. Better RDP support (i.e. multiple session, someone already mentioned that)
2. Better Remote Support of the machine. (More access to the machine while the user is using the machine. Forcing them to log off so you can fix something is ridiculous, *NIX has had this for years!).
3. Do away with driver letters. I hate that you can only map A-Z. Give use something else. (Yes I know you and use UNC but some software just can’t work with that)
4. No support for Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows XP software (let’s just move forward)
5. No XP Mode or Windows 7 Mode, this is just a huge security risk. So Windows 7 has XP Mode, which is a load of Windows XP, however Microsoft is dropping updates and security patches for that OS. So now your Windows 7 machine has a HUGE security hole. UGH!!! Someone dropped the ball on this one. If you are going to have XP Mode then you need to support Windows XP until the END of life of Windows 7. DUH!
6. No more NTFS….WinFS (Please!)
7. Plug and Play strings: Keep the cryptic stuff for developers etc. But put a better human readable description so you don’t have to search the web for: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_95C5&SUBSYS_03421028&REV_00. The description “ATI Radeon” is NO help, which card, chip etc. UGH!
8. Network off loading. Require CPU based Network Cards to off load the networking to the network card where it belongs. This will give a HUGE computer speed boost if the OS never has to see if a packet is for the machine or not. As we have done with Video Cards for years!
9. Single Edition: While installing it asks you questions to know which version works for you?
a. Are you going to use this machine solely on a public network?
i. Is this machine going to be used as a kiosk?
b. Are you a home user?
i. Do you have a server?
1. Do you have a domain?
c. Are you a small to medium business user?
i. Do you have a domain?
d. Are you an Enterprise User?
e. Etc. etc. etc. (you get the idea)
In reality it would basically load 1 of 3 versions: A Public Version, A Professional Version, or an Enterprise version. With the correct firewall, security and account settings. You only have 2 types of keys 1 for Enterprise and 1 for the Public and Professional. Keep it simple!
I would like to see a "Trust List" for UAC so older programs can run without the UAC prompt. But the user has to put in the programs manually.. I will think of more..
As for users, let them install it just like the RC of 7.
Torrents arent the only way. For instance, i got my RC version of Windows 7 in a ISO and burned it to a dvd. And infact, if Microsoft was doing the "loading", they would probably do a clean install, not a install over another os to prevent possible problems.
Also, since Microsoft is a software giant, i doubt they would want to encourage something that has allowed millions of people to get pirated version of software.
I might have sounded snotty but that was not my intent; just sharing share my two cents.
Last edited by WindowsStar; 07 Jan 2010 at 01:06.
I appreciate you taking the time to clear up my concern.
I would like to see curtains and blinds maybe even a rug and a wood burner
Nah but seriously id like to see the little things that we all... well most of us like but have to go 3rd party to get... i.e windows blinds and object dock... just those little things we have to hack and add..... just allow us to customise how we have our desktop without the risk if some hack that might corrupt our system or some 3rd party dock you have to pay millions to use ect ect.... well i think you get the idea and im sure there are many more other things that can be implemented like the snip-it tool in 7 so on and so forth
Edit aha!!! hold on what about next time just the OS without all the added extras.... just add a second disc with the optional extras to pre load????
Last edited by ripbox; 07 Jan 2010 at 18:53.
A keyboard viewer, and easy access to comon symbols like ˙≈√ł √© , eta as seen below
btw the pressed keys on the first screenshot = PrntScreen with more features