Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Difference Between Windows 7 and 8

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1



    Member

    Join Date : Jan 2010
    Thirlmere
    Posts : 89
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64bit
    Australia au new south wales

    Difference Between Windows 7 and 8


    Sorry if this has already been posted.
    I just want to know what the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 is...
    I know that there is a new start screen, but for me that's it, the Desktop environment looks the same.

    Just want to know if there are other features, because that is what is putting me off from installing windows 8... that's its pretty much Windows 7 with a new start screen
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2



    Senior Member


    Join Date : Jun 2012
    Westland, MI
    Posts : 3,421
    Windows 7
    USA us michigan


    Lot's of new features under the hood.
    1). Faster hybrid boot
    2). Native mounting of ISO files
    3). Much better chkdsk
    4). Built in Hyper-V client
    5). Storage Spaces
    6). Built in AV, deeper integration to prevent malware
    7). Better dual monitor support

    The real kick in the balls is having to use the new UI, deal with crap like the charms bar, and accept the ugly as hell 2D non-aero look. A few people really love these changes, but I think the overwhelming majority don't necessarily care for them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3
    Coke Robot's Avatar

    Senior Member


    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Posts : 5,650
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    That, and the new apps for Windows 8 through the new Windows Store, where you can also download Desktop apps as well.

    There is also the Ribbon in Explorer, which makes file management faster, at least for me. The Desktop is fairly the same as 7's, except for some UI changes like the Ribbon, non-transparent windows (although the Taskbar is transparent) and some more emphasis on cleaner looking window chrome versus posh over the top glassy shininess.

    The Start Screen is like the start menu except full screen and more customizable and manageable than the menu was. As it's more visual, you end up finding things quicker. Although, there are some that dispute this fact.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4



    Senior Member


    Join Date : Jun 2012
    Westland, MI
    Posts : 3,421
    Windows 7
    USA us michigan


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The Start Screen is like the start menu except full screen and more customizable and manageable than the menu was. As it's more visual, you end up finding things quicker. Although, there are some that dispute this fact.
    My opinion is that the Start Screen is perfectly acceptable in a touch screen environment, but useless on my desktop or PC. I don't have a need or desire to have a "full screen" launching point for my apps. A couple of desktop icons, a couple of pinned taskbar entries and that's all that i need. I don't like being moved away from my desktop (and seeing emails, instant messages, etc). when I launch the full screen Start Screen. I don't like the "live" nature of the tiles. They are distracting and a waste of bandwidth to me. Not to mention, they get confusing when your People app is showing a facebook pic, your photo app is also showing a pic...and you cannot easily tell which tile is which. I don't like having to clean up the Start Screen when the program installer litters it full of tiles that I will hardly ever use. And I don't like the fact that I don't have any classic start button options without going with a third party whose integration may or may not be stable, reliable, or secure.

    I don't really use any of the "new" apps because I'm annoyed to no end that they are full screen or only able to use 130px of the screen of the entire screen. I generally don't like getting to application settings via the Charms bar....i much prefer an in-app File, Edit, View menu etc.

    I'm a Windows fan...but not a fan of Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.   

  6. #5
    Coke Robot's Avatar

    Senior Member


    Join Date : Aug 2011
    Posts : 5,650
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The Start Screen is like the start menu except full screen and more customizable and manageable than the menu was. As it's more visual, you end up finding things quicker. Although, there are some that dispute this fact.
    My opinion is that the Start Screen is perfectly acceptable in a touch screen environment, but useless on my desktop or PC. I don't have a need or desire to have a "full screen" launching point for my apps. A couple of desktop icons, a couple of pinned taskbar entries and that's all that i need. I don't like being moved away from my desktop (and seeing emails, instant messages, etc). when I launch the full screen Start Screen. I don't like the "live" nature of the tiles. They are distracting and a waste of bandwidth to me. Not to mention, they get confusing when your People app is showing a facebook pic, your photo app is also showing a pic...and you cannot easily tell which tile is which. I don't like having to clean up the Start Screen when the program installer litters it full of tiles that I will hardly ever use. And I don't like the fact that I don't have any classic start button options without going with a third party whose integration may or may not be stable, reliable, or secure.

    I don't really use any of the "new" apps because I'm annoyed to no end that they are full screen or only able to use 130px of the screen of the entire screen. I generally don't like getting to application settings via the Charms bar....i much prefer an in-app File, Edit, View menu etc.

    I'm a Windows fan...but not a fan of Windows 8.
    Well, it sounds like you don't really need a start menu! Actually, those live tiles don't eat up bandwidth or system resource as they were designed to be efficient. For example, it only takes maybe a few kilobytes of data to refresh a tile, but opening the app requires more bandwidth as the REST of the app's contents need refreshing. They only activate in an interval or when there is a trigger.

    If you find it distracting, you can either turn them off, or separate them so they're less up in your face.

    And that's the point of the Start Screen, being able to SEE what clutter installed. Do you see that with the start menu? Probably not so much unless if you already use it heavily. Most people don't, as that's partly the reason why the Start Screen was designed. A few Taskbar pins, maybe a MFU pin on the start menu, a couple of Desktop icons; that's it. No need for the start menu other than Computer, Libraries, Control Panel and to shut down.

    I personally am liking the Charms bar better than the classic drop down file method. Usually, an app with have its own commands, and uses the system contracts (Charms) to share or be searched. I find it just homogenizes app design so EVERY app has a search command (ones that can be searched), EVERY app that can share will have an entry in Share, EVERY app that can connect to a device is there in Devices, and EVERY app has a settings function with the Settings charms. Simple. Maybe I just prefer new over the classic method....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6



    Senior Member


    Join Date : Jun 2012
    Westland, MI
    Posts : 3,421
    Windows 7
    USA us michigan


    [QUOTE=Coke Robot;152571]Actually, those live tiles don't eat up bandwidth or system resource as they were designed to be efficient. Well of course, they are designed to not hog bandwidth. But that doesn't mean that while sitting there all day or perhaps for days on end they aren't using bandwidth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    And that's the point of the Start Screen, being able to SEE what clutter installed. Do you see that with the start menu? Probably not so much unless if you already use it heavily.
    I don't see the advantage here. I would believe that with most apps, you will simply remove the tile...but not uninstall anything. So, it will still be installed and technically cluttering up your PC.


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I personally am liking the Charms bar better than the classic drop down file method. Usually, an app with have its own commands, and uses the system contracts (Charms) to share or be searched. I find it just homogenizes app design so EVERY app has a search command (ones that can be searched), EVERY app that can share will have an entry in Share, EVERY app that can connect to a device is there in Devices, and EVERY app has a settings function with the Settings charms. Simple. Maybe I just prefer new over the classic method....
    I like the "search" features of the charms...but that's about it. Overall, I find more feeling of it being a nuisance than a benefit. I just don't see the value in this change. It doesn't help me or make me any more productive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7
    Lee's Avatar
    Lee

    VIP Member


    Join Date : Jul 2009
    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,030
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    USA us idaho


    Night and Day. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8



    Power User

    Join Date : Nov 2012
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Posts : 1,028
    Windows Vista Home Premium x64 - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Indonesia


    Don't think the Start Screen as a new way to use Windows. Instead think it as a king-sized, full screen, huge tiles, but beautiful Start Menu.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9
    znod's Avatar

    Power User

    Join Date : Nov 2012
    Posts : 2,156
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    USA us texas


    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Sorry if this has already been posted.
    I just want to know what the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 is...
    I know that there is a new start screen, but for me that's it, the Desktop environment looks the same.

    Just want to know if there are other features, because that is what is putting me off from installing windows 8... that's its pretty much Windows 7 with a new start screen
    IMO, the main reason for installing Windows 8 is that you want to work with the Charm Bar and the new interface (Metro) in general. Working in this fashion seems very, very inefficient given the way I want to use a PC, and to really figure out where everything is (and to remember later) takes significant effort. The reason for not installing Windows 8 I gave above is somewhat the opposite of the main reason for not installing it; it is hard to avoid using the Charm Bar and the new interface (Metro) too much--which to me, as said, is very, very inefficient given what I do with a computer. A reason for installing Windows 8 eventually is that MS support for Win7 will eventually come to an end. However, look how long MS support has existed for XP. Ignoring the Charm Bar/new interface, I haven't found any new features in Windows 8 that are compelling.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10



    Senior Member


    Join Date : Jun 2012
    Westland, MI
    Posts : 3,421
    Windows 7
    USA us michigan


    Quote Originally Posted by MrShowdown View Post
    Don't think the Start Screen as a new way to use Windows. Instead think it as a king-sized, full screen, huge tiles, but beautiful Start Menu.
    I've tried, I don't find it beautiful. It's annoying.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Difference Between Windows 7 and 8
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
New touchpad - Makes a huge difference in Win 8 usability General Support
What's the difference between Widget and Shortcut in Win8? Software and Apps
Whats the difference Windows 8 and Windows RT. General Support
What is the difference between Windows 8....? General Support

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook