Any thoughts. My Dell Travel Mouse has been working fine until last weekend when it stopped responding. First, I thought it was the batteries, but it simply would not work on my Dell XPS M1300 laptop running Windows 8 Release Preview. I tried it on another laptop (running Windows 7) and it works fine. I have tried the usual, of uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing seems to work, although it still shows as being connected.

The driver is unchanged from when I was on Windows 7, namely v6.2.8400.0 dated 21/6/2006. I phoned Dell and they connected remotely to my laptop but after a cursory look, they decided they could not help as they are not trained on Windows 8, but were willing to transfer me to software assistance for paid Support.