Peace be upon all of you.
Hello and greetings.
My laptop is ASUS model A455L. My CD/DVD drive was working fine until one moment it disappeared from both "This PC" folder as well as from "Device Manager". It happened while I was burning a CD with Ashampoo Burning Studio 15. My current OS is Windows 8.1 (as what it was as when I purchased this laptop), and I do not upgrade/downgrade to any other OS.
I went through searching the internet for the solutions for weeks but failed to solve the problem.
1. Among the suggestions found on the internet is to delete the upper and lower class filters, but mine is not involved as it does not have any entry that says upper or lower class to begin with.
2. Another suggestions that I had tried was the addition of the following in the Registry:
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001"
I did the registry entry of the above by command prompt (admin) as well as manually in the regedit but failed to produce the results.
3. Initially when this problem occurred, the item CD/DVD Drive was still visible in the Device Manager but under the "Show hidden devices" option turned on. The information below was gotten from the properties of the device:
Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.
My optical drive is an internal, built-in with laptop drive, not disconnectable drive by normal means. Another suggestion that I found on the internet is to uninstall the CD/DVD Drive in the Device Manager, as it claimed to automatically reinstall the drive upon OS restart. However, the drive did not reinstalled on itself and now the CD/DVD Drive even permanently disappeared from the Device Manager.
4. Another suggestion that I found on the internet is to set the boot options in the UEFI settings to prioritize CD/DVD, but no options for booting via CD/DVD is present there.
5. Last suggestion that I found was to reinstall the CD/DVD Driver downloaded from the manufacturer site. However, I failed to find the driver installer provided in the ASUS Support sites.
Additional information regarding my CD/DVD Drive is as follows:
The physical CD/DVD drive tray is able to be opened normally via the side button. The following informations are gotten from the device properties (before it went disappeared):
Any helps would be appreciated.