I've come round to that 3-4 year point where my laptop is starting to die, and I have to spend a month reading 2,000 reviews to find something that meets my needs again, and eventually compromise on something that doesn't... Your help in cutting this down would be much appreciated!
- I am a web designer, I do a fair amount of photo and image editing.
- Little bit of gaming: hardly any though, whatever graphics that serve my work needs will be good enough.
- I watch DVDs fairly often, and find external drives fiddly and annoying.
- I like music to sound good.
I currently rock a Dell XPS 15 from a few years back, the L502x. It has a 15 inch screen, backlit keyboard, dvd drive, and a built in subwoofer - amazing sound quality! Shame it has motherboard cancer...
(If your suggestion doesn't have these, its not gonna do the job...)
- Haswell i5 processor (happy with the performance loss compared to i7 for the improved battery).
- 3-4 hour battery minimum.
- Backlit keyboard.
- 1600x900 resolution minimum
- Awesome sound, especially a build in sub.
- Optical drive would be great.
Don't care about
- 4K - I find Windows scales badly, so generally stick in 1080p, sometimes 1600x900.
- Trackpad - its never going to be used
- Weight - heavy as you want
- Size - if you have a 17 inch you think would work...
Any ideas? I have anywhere up to about £1000, although would prefer the £600-700 range.