Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Help - Advanced Boot options > Number of processors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1



    Member

    Join Date : Mar 2012
    Posts : 241
    Windows 7

    Help - Advanced Boot options > Number of processors


    Hello to all,
    Wanted to confirm something I recently had a problem with on W7. It was fixed but I didn't get an explanation that I could remember. I have an Athlon X2 processor. In msconfig > boot tab > Advanced Options - there is a box the has a checkmark and a box that show the number of cores the processor has. The reasoning and correct selection is what I am concerned with. It currently has the checkbox - Unchecked and the number of processors is indicating one. Should I pick 2 processors in the box and check the checkbox to ensure the proper use of both processors or is it correct (as I vaguely suspect) the way it is currently set. Thanks for any help!
    Glenn


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2
    mickey megabyte's Avatar

    private member


    Join Date : Mar 2011
    Posts : 104
    windows 9
    UK uk devon


    if unchecked, windows will use the maximum number of cores that it can during the boot processes.

    you only need to change this setting if you specifically know it is causing problems.

    it's one of those crazy internet misconceptions that microsoft have got this wrong - you will even see posts by people swearing that their boot is faster when playing with this setting.

    leave it as it is if you do not have any boot problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3
    fafhrd's Avatar

    Member

    Join Date : Jul 2011
    Portsmouth Hants
    Posts : 769
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    UK uk mercia


    You should have 2 processors checked, not 1, blank is probably auto, which may not always get it right. In taskmanager, the performance tab should show two graphical CPU usage history traces.
    At boot-time, Windows loads a file called hal.dll - there are two versions, one for single processors, and another that handles multiprocessor systems.

    You will probably run perfectly well on a single processor, but without the performance obtained from utilizing both.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4
    mickey megabyte's Avatar

    private member


    Join Date : Mar 2011
    Posts : 104
    windows 9
    UK uk devon


    the number 1 that you see is should be greyed out - meaning that it isn't operative.

    keep the box unchecked and it will use the max cores it needs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5



    Member

    Join Date : Mar 2012
    Posts : 241
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
    if unchecked, windows will use the maximum number of cores that it can during the boot processes.

    you only need to change this setting if you specifically know it is causing problems.

    it's one of those crazy internet misconceptions that microsoft have got this wrong - you will even see posts by people swearing that their boot is faster when playing with this setting.

    leave it as it is if you do not have any boot problems.
    Thank you greatly, that is what I believed was previously touched on! So no checkmark means that it will automatically use the maximum number available. I have a desktop gadget that shows two processors working. I just wanted the an explanation and reassurance of an expert. Much appreciated!
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6



    Member

    Join Date : Mar 2012
    Posts : 241
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
    You should have 2 processors checked, not 1, blank is probably auto, which may not always get it right. In taskmanager, the performance tab should show two graphical CPU usage history traces.
    At boot-time, Windows loads a file called hal.dll - there are two versions, one for single processors, and another that handles multiprocessor systems.

    You will probably run perfectly well on a single processor, but without the performance obtained from utilizing both.
    Hello fafhrd,
    Thanks for responding. I am again confused. As mentioned above, I have the box unchecked. The desktop gadget shows 2 cores running. But in task manager in performance it only shows 1 CPU box, not multiple as in W7. Also should I have the PCI locked checkmarked. I don't understand........
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7



    Member

    Join Date : Mar 2012
    Posts : 241
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
    the number 1 that you see is should be greyed out - meaning that it isn't operative.

    keep the box unchecked and it will use the max cores it needs.
    Howdy again,
    I understand the concept you stated. But fafhrd suggested checking the Task Manager performance and it seems to only indicate one CPU graph....
    See below

    Click image for larger version

    Maybe I am reading it wrong. But I just checked my X4 on windows seven and seemingly I have the 4 processors indicated and the checkbox checked. Now I am completely confused. In W7 Task Manager Performance it shows 4 CPU Graph boxes. Please help!
    Thanks
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8
    mickey megabyte's Avatar

    private member


    Join Date : Mar 2011
    Posts : 104
    windows 9
    UK uk devon


    it does say 2 logical processors at bottom right (but only one physical chip as there are two cores on the one chip).

    right-click on the cpu graph and change the graph to 'logical processors', and you'll see both your cores.

    by the way, the setting in msconfig only applies to the boot process, not the whole computer session - just the boot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9
    Dwarf's Avatar

    The Contemplator
    (1963-2013)

    Join Date : Jul 2009
    Doncaster, UK
    Posts : 638
    Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
    England uk yorkshire


    You have it showing as Overall utilization, which amalgamates the results of the individual cores and shows them as a single graph. To get individual graphs, showing the activity of each core separately, right-click on the graph and mouse over Change graph to and then click on Logical Processors.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10



    Member

    Join Date : Mar 2012
    Posts : 241
    Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
    it does say 2 logical processors at bottom right (but only one physical chip as there are two cores on the one chip).

    right-click on the cpu graph and change the graph to 'logical processors', and you'll see both your cores.

    by the way, the setting in msconfig only applies to the boot process, not the whole computer session - just the boot.
    You Sir are the man! Perfect, wonderful! Thanks you immensely! But you had to go in and throw me a curve ball about just the boot process. Might you in you generosity, elaborate in slowwww english {:-))!
    Really thanks!
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help - Advanced Boot options > Number of processors
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Startup Options Menu - Boot to in Windows 8 Tutorials
System Recovery Options - Boot to in Windows 8 Tutorials
Advanced "Startup Settings" - Boot to in Windows 8 Tutorials
Lost my F8 Advanced Boot & System Recovery Options on Dual Boot Installation & Setup
Ubuntu is not shown in boot options Installation & Setup
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23